GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Oceanos» Forums » Rules

Subject: No fuel for the Expedition Captain ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I don't remember where I've seen this. Maybe it was someone who just told me about it, instead of a written source somewhere. But today I'm wondering if this is a true meaning of the rule, or a mistake I'm making now, and I'd like some kind of official answer to be sure.

Additionaly, writing this here will allow everyone who didn't notice it before to be made aware of this specific issue.

My question : Can the Expedition Captain use fuel tokens to keep more than one card on his turn ?

As I understand it, the answer is actually : No, he cannot (!)

That's right : it's not explicitly forbidden in the rule. But here's what we can find :

A. Page 6 : A precise round overview :
-> 1. The Expedition Captain deals out cards to all players except himself
-> 2. The other players choose a card and keep it face down, giving back their unkept cards to the Expedition Captain
-> 3. The other players simultaneously reveal their card
-> 4. The Expedition Captain plays one of the cards which have been given back to him and discards the others
-> 5. The Expedition Captain role passes to the next player

B. Page 7 : Using a fuel token, and here I quote :
-> "You can consume a fuel token to keep an extra card in front of yourself face-down (during phase 2 of the last page). Reveal as usual during phase 3 of the last page..."

So here we are :

A+B : The Expedition Captain is playing during phase 4 of the turn, not phase 2. Since he's alone when he plays his card it is directly face-up and therefore he has no face-down card to reveal during any phase.
=> As the fuel tokens rule is written, there is simply no way it can apply to the Expedition captain.

So what now ? Is it a mistake in the rule which brings too many precisions which should have been avoided because as they are they're incomplete, or else there's no mistake and the rule should simply have benefited from a little note to underline this detail ?

I asked the same question in a french forum where the author's intervening sometimes. If he answers there I'll bring back his reply.
(But I guess it won't be before a few days, since he must be in Essen right now...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Captain can keep extra-cards like any other player
The rules is not perfect here, you're right !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MavL
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, Antoine.

I have one more question about this page in the rules. Does the captain get to see what cards the other players played before he chooses the one(s) he wishes to play?

That would mean a second advantage for being captain (the first one being getting to choose amongst potentially more cards than usual).

We apparently switched steps 3 and 4 when we played because step 3 says "All players simultaneously reveal". Is the captain not a player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
This is clearly stated : yes, the captain choses after the revealing of other players cards.
Yes he has the advantage of choosing between potentially more cards, but they're the ones given to him by other players. They are filtered : they can be less interesting or more dangerous (kraken)...

And thank you Antoine. Although now I have to remember who were all the players to whom I gave the wrong rule to rectify it...

Best success in Essen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MavL
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point. What confused me is that steps 2 and 3 don't actually say "the other players". They say "Each player" and "All players".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.