$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
58 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Do I need 2 copies of the expansions for full card set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel T.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
With the contents of a single core set, players are able to build two of these starter decks at the same time, in the following combinations: Roland and Agnes, Roland and Wendy, Daisy and Skids, Daisy and Wendy, or Agnes and Skids. By purchasing a second copy of the core set for Arkham Horror: the Card Game you will be able to build any four of these starter decks simultaneously.


So even, if I'm playing alone with two characters I'm going to need 2 of the core set to have all the possible combinations. That was obvious from the forum posts also (and I think it was mentioned of FFG's twitter).

But.

Will I need 2 copies of each Deluxe expansions and mythos packs to have all the options and all deck possibilities?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
no. only core set is not a complete play set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel T.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! What a relief.
With all these Arkham Files games and expansions coming out this and the next year, I need to cleverly allocate my board game budget..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, you can play 2 characters from the base game without problem. Only if you play with 4 do you need another base game.

That said, I don't remember seeing anything about the specific cards in the base game, so if you want to have all possibilities for all characters, you would probably need more than one base game...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will probably just be a few cards short from what you actually need.

To misquote the penguins in Madagascar

"Sleeve and proxy boys, sleeve and proxy."

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are out and pre-constructed decks for all investigators are available. So you can know how many cards you'll be missing with only one core set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i just had a crazy idea : why not play the game with one core set and manage the difficulty with clever play instead of buying 2 core sets and making things easier with copies of the stronger cards ?

I know, I told you crazy idea
18 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on the back of the LtP guide is the starter deck list for each combinations of characters.

if you want to play with 4 characters, you're going to need 2 sets, if you want to do any advanced deckbuilding, or use different combinations, I think you'll need 2 core sets.

i'm going for one of everything announced so far, and seeing where it takes me. If the deckbuilding is going to be half as complex as LotR, then i'm basically out - I don't have time for that
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simondtaylor wrote:
Right on the back of the LtP guide is the starter deck list for each combinations of characters.

if you want to play with 4 characters, you're going to need 2 sets, if you want to do any advanced deckbuilding, or use different combinations, I think you'll need 2 core sets.

i'm going for one of everything announced so far, and seeing where it takes me. If the deckbuilding is going to be half as complex as LotR, then i'm basically out - I don't have time for that


Deck construction should be easier, since you don't gear your deck towards single games but campaigns (though there's cards that allow you to switch out a number of Level 0 cards between games). Hard to say if that means you can essentially keep your basic deck structure through multiple campaigns or if you'll need to gear each deck to tackle each campaign. Though, the design philosophy seems to be that they want you to feel like you're playing an RPG, so I'm assuming that means you can build one deck and approach each campaign with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
i just had a crazy idea : why not play the game with one core set and manage the difficulty with clever play instead of buying 2 core sets and making things easier with copies of the stronger cards ?

I know, I told you crazy idea


It's not a matter of easier/harder some cards will be needed for multiple characters. You will be limited with only one core set. Is everyone forgetting who is releasing this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
haplo92 wrote:
i just had a crazy idea : why not play the game with one core set and manage the difficulty with clever play instead of buying 2 core sets and making things easier with copies of the stronger cards ?

I know, I told you crazy idea


It's not a matter of easier/harder some cards will be needed for multiple characters. You will be limited with only one core set. Is everyone forgetting who is releasing this game.


If some cards are "needed" to play and are not in the box then it,s a rip off and why bother with the game in the place

If , it would be more convenient with more cards that are not in the box, then I rest my case that one core set is enough.

The core set is made for 2 characters, the cards inside should be enough for that.

I won't buy two boxes of Agricola because it would be more convenient to have more action spaces.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:


I won't buy two boxes of Agricola because it would be more convenient to have more action spaces.


Well agricola isn't an LCG this is.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
haplo92 wrote:
i just had a crazy idea : why not play the game with one core set and manage the difficulty with clever play instead of buying 2 core sets and making things easier with copies of the stronger cards ?

I know, I told you crazy idea


It's not a matter of easier/harder some cards will be needed for multiple characters. You will be limited with only one core set. Is everyone forgetting who is releasing this game.


If some cards are "needed" to play and are not in the box then it,s a rip off and why bother with the game in the place

If , it would be more convenient with more cards that are not in the box, then I rest my case that one core set is enough.

The core set is made for 2 characters, the cards inside should be enough for that.

I won't buy two boxes of Agricola because it would be more convenient to have more action spaces.


you know how these games work right? They are fixed distribution TCGs. You can and are supposed to customize your deck, if you want those options when customizing then you will have to buy 2 core sets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
you know how these games work right? They are fixed distribution TCGs. You can and are supposed to customize your deck, if you want those options when customizing then you will have to buy 2 core sets.

Sounds like a fancy way to turn one customer into two..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is playable with 2 investigators (either 2 players with one each or a solo player playing two decks) with ONE core set, with some considerations.

If you look at the Starter Deck lists (L2P p.15), you will see that each of the 5 Starter Decks listed use every 0 Level card from both their classes. This means that with 5 classes, you can only build decks for 2 investigators if they do not share ANY class.

So you can play Roland (Guardian/Seeker) and Agnes (Mystic/Survivor) but you could not play Roland and Daisy (Seeker/Mystic) at the same time since they both require the same cards from the Seeker class.

Buying TWO core sets allows you to build FOUR of the investigators at the same time since you'll have two sets of the level 0 class cards for every class.

With a limit of 2 copies of each card in any given custom deck, TWO core sets also lets an individual player build any deck they wish with up to 2 copies of any card. This however only works for building one investigator (or two if they do not share any duplicate class).
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
haplo92 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
haplo92 wrote:
i just had a crazy idea : why not play the game with one core set and manage the difficulty with clever play instead of buying 2 core sets and making things easier with copies of the stronger cards ?

I know, I told you crazy idea


It's not a matter of easier/harder some cards will be needed for multiple characters. You will be limited with only one core set. Is everyone forgetting who is releasing this game.


If some cards are "needed" to play and are not in the box then it,s a rip off and why bother with the game in the place

If , it would be more convenient with more cards that are not in the box, then I rest my case that one core set is enough.

The core set is made for 2 characters, the cards inside should be enough for that.

I won't buy two boxes of Agricola because it would be more convenient to have more action spaces.


you know how these games work right? They are fixed distribution TCGs. You can and are supposed to customize your deck, if you want those options when customizing then you will have to buy 2 core sets.


I know how these games work, thank you.
Just to compare, I have seen decks in TLotR LCG with 2 (or 3) Gandalf cards. And I am sorry but that doesn't make sense to me thematically. With one core set you should have more than enough cards to make 2 optimized decks for 2 characters. Especially if you plan on buying the expansions. For me it just doesn't make sense.

That being said, I can understand why people would feel compelled to buy 2 (or even 3, as seen on another thread) core set. But I fail to see where it is an absolute necessity. And why FFG (Edge Entertainment here in France) is an evil company because of that.

Just MHO
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
As SirRoke pointed out the PDF rules are now available from FFG's website and they definitively say what is possible as far as deckbuilding with one Core. So now you can make an informed decision on whether that second Core is worth it for you. You definitely need it if you are playing with 3 or 4 investigators, but the second core also unlocks certain overlapped combos of investigators.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really loath this business model. So, you want the game to "appear" to have a good starting price, so you just leave out half the cards and require 2 purchases of the same product.

That's cheap and distasteful.

I'm sure many won't mind, otherwise they would not keep doing it. But not everyone can do that.

Sure, you can play like 2 combinations of 2 characters, and that's all, just forget the other 1/2 of the box (exaggeration of course).

Take your chances FF and raise the price and put in a "fully working" game everyone can play the first time.

Seriously, this is so sad. I thought there was finally a LCG I wanted to get into.


-PS- Anyone know if the deluxe and regular expansions will add cards to build the remaining characters, or, does 2 core boxes remain the only way to actually have full working characters we get "suggested" in the core (I say suggested because it seems the core is only teasing us with what we "could" have if we buy double of their product to get what is missing in the game.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
I really loath this business model. So, you want the game to "appear" to have a good starting price, so you just leave out half the cards and require 2 purchases of the same product.

That's cheap and distasteful.

I'm sure many won't mind, otherwise they would not keep doing it. But not everyone can do that.

Sure, you can play like 2 combinations of 2 characters, and that's all, just forget the other 1/2 of the box (exaggeration of course).

Take your chances FF and raise the price and put in a "fully working" game everyone can play the first time.

Seriously, this is so sad. I thought there was finally a LCG I wanted to get into.
And your argument falls apart in the first paragraph. There is no requirement for a second Core. The game is playable as is. If you want to add more options for play (adding a 3/4th player, being able to be play two characters with more overlap than is necessary/designed) then that is a self-imposed requirement.

If I buy a second core, I'll only do so because I want to play with 3+ players, or (perhaps) because I want to work outside the designed constraints with 2 characters. Of course, if I want to have absolute freedom to build my initial decks for 4 characters I'm going to need, what four Core?

I understand your complaint that there should be complete redundancy of cards for the starting decks; I don't agree with it, but I see where you're coming from. Personally I think that FFG have made the right compromises in this situation. It's like minitures games in some ways - you don't need the extra armies to play the game, but you want them and it makes your game more fun - so what's the deal with paying more to get more enjoyment from your game?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a baseball and it didn't come with a bat, glove, bases, stadium, or enough humans to make the game playable. What a ripoff, this is obviously a ploy by the manufacturer who is trying to screw over the players.

Oh wait. So everybody knew in advance that that's what was in the box, because it's always been like that, it's clearly labeled, and this issue has already been explained a million times already why its done like this and people just stubbornly refuse to listen?

I guess I don't understand the question then...
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
LCG is far superior to TCG. At least you know what you are getting. You can tell yourself you don't need two core sets but the reality is you will. Justify it how you want but FFG is in this to make money.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems first reply was the only one that got what I was asking.

I understand if you want to "play with" customizing your decks, buy more cards. No problem.

What I don't like is reading a box or sell sheet that says 5 Investigators, but oh... you are only able to play 2 of them out of the box. If you want to play them all, then buy more boxes.

I'm saying build the core game to let us play the characters that come in the freakn box to being with. If you want to customize them further then sure, you gotta pay for the pleasure.

From what I'm reading, it "sounds like" we have like 2 choices of 2-character play only, because of the required overlapping starter cards.

If I'm wrong cool, and that's what I asked in my -PS-, if the expansions would let us fill in those other characters, just to be able to play them and not just sit in the core box.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
also, the tokens will wear off over time. You will be happy to have extra tokens from your 2nd core set
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesnt the very fact that these threads do keep recurring suggest that either or both:

the logic behind the LCG core model isn't intuitive to grasp for new players;
the logic behind the LCG core model still hasn't convinced a lot of players who are quite familiar with it.

Trying to step back, is it not the case that this means that level of confidence in the quality of the argument in favour of requiring purchase of redundant components for a full playset, is misplaced?

Either way, if you are absolutely convinced of the model's merit, and tire of seeing the arguments rehashed, it seems an unwise use of time to read such threads, and much more so to post in them.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan-- simple honest question being asked here. Not the merit of the system, but if more than 2 characters can be played from one core? are we restricted to which characters. And will expansion let you play them , or only a second box.

Pretty straight up question is all.

cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.