Subject: Black Fleet vs Merchant and Marauders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi Guys,
this is my first post ever

I'm planning on buying one of the two games mentioned in the title. But I'm quite unsure which one might be better. I somewhere read that Merchants & Marauders is more complex and takes a lot longer.

Our group prefers more or less complex games like Civilization, Game of Thrones or Robinson Crusoe. So no casual/family games

Sorry, if there already is a thread - I couldn't find any.

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
This is my first reply ever. Black Fleet is a wonderful, family friendly game. Fun, with great components, but not overly complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M&M has great components and breathes theme. It goes about 3.5 hours in our group. I have some gripes with the game that has caused me to put it up for trade:
* Significant downtime in the port action
* Missions and rumors are not taken, because there are easier ways to get VP.
* It isn't as interactive as I'd like.

There are variants that aim to solve some of these issues, I haven't found them to be enough, but you may want to look at them. There are scoring variants, porting ends your turn, there is cutthroat, that strengthens marauders and promotes more interaction through increased likelihood of PvP combat (but makes it even less tempting for a trader to criss-cross the seas to solve missions or rumors).

Black Fleet I do not know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Fleet is a family game in terms of complexity. you have two ships that you move around and draw cards for totally random powers. I like randomness in games, but hated it in this game.

Ashamed to say that I've never played M&M, mainly because the designer of that game is the same as my favorite : Clash of Cultures. The almost 4 hour play time is a bit of a turn off because I'd rather just play my favorite game with that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Fleet is light family game.

Details: You control one pirate ship and one merchant ship of your colour. You also can move two independent navy ships, which is hostile to all pirates. It is a fun game. You can pick and delivery goods with your merchant ship or attack other merchant ships with your pirate, or attack other pirate with the navy ships.

As other poster has said, it has various upgrade cards which will break the game rules for you. For example, one upgrade card allows your merchant ship to attack another player's merchant ship etc. I find the cards amusing and fun, but that's because I consider Black Fleet as a light game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey Guys .. thank you all for pointing out the differences.

I think M&M is a little bit more appealing to me. Let's see if i can grab a copy in essen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.