$30.00
$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Variants

Subject: Choose Your Skills! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most obvious game variant to me this early in my Cry Havoc career (11 games so far) is to be able to choose your race skills. Faction analysis and strategy guides tell you about a faction based on all their skills. But of course, you don't get them all. And you don't even get to choose which you will get in the standard game. That's okay, especially when you are first learning the game, because it helps you figure them all out over a series of games. And its a fun challenge to "fight with the army you've got." But the most enjoyable thing in general is choosing your strategy with each race, and you can do that more consciously if you get to pick the combination of skills you will use.

Lately I've been experimenting with the players being allowed at the game start to make a limited choice. Currently our favorite variant of this idea is to take the Default skill and then pick two more. This is in order to stay within the normal play parameters. Its worked out in the few times we tried it out so far.

Have you tried it out? Which skill combos have you done? How has it worked out for you?

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Drain
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I suggested this tonight and for reasons inexplicable it became a big thing where people were pretty dead set against it. Someone actually told me that it wasn't fun to make informed decisions to try to build a working machine and test it out against other people doing the same thing, even thought that's exactly what we've been doing twice a week for about 3 years.

Anyway I think its a great idea!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of having a series of games with a larger group of my friends where we all play Cry Havoc. For those games I was thinking of letting everyone pick their skills (not sure if I would do default plus one or two). It seems to favor preparation more and reduces the randomness factor. I'm glad that I found a thread where someone else felt the same way

Has anyone tried this variant? If so, could you share your experience, good or bad?

Even if you haven't tried this, I'd be interested on people's take on its potential.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Necr0mancer wrote:
I was thinking of having a series of games with a larger group of my friends where we all play Cry Havoc. For those games I was thinking of letting everyone pick their skills (not sure if I would do default plus one or two). It seems to favor preparation more and reduces the randomness factor. I'm glad that I found a thread where someone else felt the same way

Has anyone tried this variant? If so, could you share your experience, good or bad?

Even if you haven't tried this, I'd be interested on people's take on its potential.


The only way I play is two skills: default plus player picks one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
Necr0mancer wrote:
I was thinking of having a series of games with a larger group of my friends where we all play Cry Havoc. For those games I was thinking of letting everyone pick their skills (not sure if I would do default plus one or two). It seems to favor preparation more and reduces the randomness factor. I'm glad that I found a thread where someone else felt the same way

Has anyone tried this variant? If so, could you share your experience, good or bad?

Even if you haven't tried this, I'd be interested on people's take on its potential.


The only way I play is two skills: default plus player picks one.


Do you find, after a while, that this leads to players picking the same skills every game? I feel like people will just find a favorite and it will get a little stale.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flame112 wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
Necr0mancer wrote:
I was thinking of having a series of games with a larger group of my friends where we all play Cry Havoc. For those games I was thinking of letting everyone pick their skills (not sure if I would do default plus one or two). It seems to favor preparation more and reduces the randomness factor. I'm glad that I found a thread where someone else felt the same way

Has anyone tried this variant? If so, could you share your experience, good or bad?

Even if you haven't tried this, I'd be interested on people's take on its potential.


The only way I play is two skills: default plus player picks one.


Do you find, after a while, that this leads to players picking the same skills every game? I feel like people will just find a favorite and it will get a little stale.


If you play with people who only want to win, sure, they might always do the same thing. My group almost always changes races, for one, and we like trying new stuff. I also don't get to play very often. So, it isn't an issue for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.