Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: What to buy after first core set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I got the core set "Swamps of Death". Now im thinking of expanding to add some more flavor to the game, but im not quite sure what to get.

I have read people saying, get the other core set "City of the Ancients", but am I not just getting more of the same? More melee monsters and missions? Would I not be getting more flavor by getting some ranged / different kind of monsters from the enemy packs "Serpentmen of Jargono" and "Masters of the Void"? Or new towns and enemies from "Frontier Town"?

Hoping to get some advice from someone with a lot of sets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasquale Cirone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the Frontier Town expansion makes your town encounters and travel more interesting.

I'd get the small sets to pepper your encounters according to your own tastes.

I'd also get the new Trderra set before Cynder. Trederra may cost more, but Cynder has so few critters and really isn't at all interesting, although marginally better with Belial (who's very expensive right now). Trederra is only a bit more costly but comes with far more interesting stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
malakim0 wrote:
Well the Frontier Town expansion makes your town encounters and travel more interesting.

I'd get the small sets to pepper your encounters according to your own tastes.

I'd also get the new Trderra set before Cynder. Trederra may cost more, but Cynder has so few critters and really isn't at all interesting, although marginally better with Belial (who's very expensive right now). Trederra is only a bit more costly but comes with far more interesting stuff.

Thank you for the quick reply

So you are saying that you would buy those you mention before buying the other core set "City of the Ancients"? (maybe even skip it all together unless I really want the new heroes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frontier Town comes with six bandits, which use the Shootout rules, and you do also get the town missions. With only one base set you're probably likely to encounter bandits in the mines relatively frequently.

If you're happy with the four characters you get in Swamps (and they are great characters) I do think Frontier Town adds a good amount to the game.

Masters of the Void is a nice set- you get the Always Ambushing Phase Hounds and the Usually Running Away Void Sorcerer with the random spell cards. Harvesters are great if you go deeper into the game because they come with threat cards for everywhere. Trederran Raiders are cool and do shoot you, but they always run in to stab you too, so it ends up being effectively mostly the same melee situation.

Trederra Expansion is huge- as much enemy content as a base game, though it's all Space Nazis- no harbinger or goliaths. You will not have the spider figures but they include tokens (you will have the slashers).

Cynder is kind of peculiar in that some missions seem to play out strangely. It comes with lava men, and otherwise uses the hungry dead and hellbat figures you already have so in that sense it fits what you already have pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still highly recommend city of ancients. It adds a bunch of mobs and gear and artifact cards. Besides the creatures you find the loot you find helps keep the game fresh. I have to look at numbers but I think city of ancients has more item cards than any of the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a keen kickstarter backer... I have no idea

(sooooon.... well, soooooonish)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for more monster variety without getting City of the Ancients, I highly recommend the Serpentmen set. Or any Deluxe enemy set - all the Deluxe sets add a lot.

That said, City of the Ancients should be high on your list. 4 new hero classes is great, and Targa artifacts include some fancy guns for your ranged heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good point about the gear and artifacts in the second base set, although you can buy a lot of cool stuff in the expanded town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Getting the other core set probably gives you the most bang for your buck. A whole new Otherworld, new classes, new monsters, new gear and starting items and artifacts and missions... but you're right that most of them are indeed melee. (There's an Otherworld threat that's ranged in City of the Ancients, but it's immobile.)

If you just want ranged enemies, the Serpentmen of Jargono adds new themed enemies for Jargono, including a single ranged enemy (the shaman), plus new artifacts, encounters, and missions. Alternately, the Masters of the Void have enemies not themed around Jargono but with three ranged enemies (the Void Sorcerers, not counting the Epic threat of the Void Magus), along with encounters, artifacts, and missions.

The expanded town gives the bandits, new missions, new gear, and a LOAD of new stuff for town visits, including loads of new locations.

What you should get next really comes down to what you think would add the most to your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The correct answer is: the second core set :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order:

- 2nd Core Set
- Frontier Town Expansion
- Serpentmen Deluxe Enemy Set
- Masters of the Void Deluxe Enemy Set
- Targa/Jargono/Mine Artifact/Encounter card supplements
- Otherworlds you don't have
- Otherworld card supplements
- XXL Bosses (prioritize Be'lial if you have Caverns of Cynder)
- Hero Classes you don't have
- Enemy Packs with Enemies that can appear in multiple Otherworlds (Trederran Raiders, for example)
- Enemy Packs that come with Boss options (Scafford Gang, for example)
- Everything else

And I stand by that.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you for all the great advice. Guess it's the second core set then, and maybe the void pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
In order:

- 2nd Core Set
- Frontier Town Expansion
- Serpentmen Deluxe Enemy Set
- Masters of the Void Deluxe Enemy Set
- Targa/Jargono/Mine Artifact/Encounter card supplements
- Otherworlds you don't have
- Otherworld card supplements
- XXL Bosses (prioritize Be'lial if you have Caverns of Cynder)
- Hero Classes you don't have
- Enemy Packs with Enemies that can appear in multiple Otherworlds (Trederran Raiders, for example)
- Enemy Packs that come with Boss options (Scafford Gang, for example)
- Everything else

And I stand by that.

- Jee

If you get the Suppliments wait for them to do the buy 2 get 1 on their website. They seems to offer it around each holiday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Frontier Town Expansion before you get the Void Pack. It's not obvious, but without it you're basically missing half the game - no matter how much stuff you buy to beef up your Mine Adventures. The Town experience in the core sets is a pale shadow of what the FTE turns it into.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Packwood
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
If you get the Suppliments wait for them to do the buy 2 get 1 on their website. They seems to offer it around each holiday.

Such as their current Halloween Sale which runs till the 16th whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be honest. Just buy what you don't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cold
msg tools
I suggest: Go all in!

I only discovered the game a couple of months ago and bought Swamps of Death. I've since added City of Ancients, Caverns of Cinder, the Raptor, the Flesh Stalker, 4 of the 6 limited preview heroes, and a bunch of the card supplements.

Best dungeon crawler I've played in a long time and I just can't get enough of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe_Cold wrote:

I only discovered the game a couple of months ago and bought Swamps of Death. I've since added City of Ancients, Caverns of Cinder, the Raptor, the Flesh Stalker, 4 of the 6 limited preview heroes, and a bunch of the card supplements.

Best dungeon crawler I've played in a long time and I just can't get enough of it!

You need the frontier town expansion. Follow Jee's list it is near perfect. The only change I would make is getting more enemies prior to getting more heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Costello
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
whiskemuscles wrote:
Joe_Cold wrote:

You need the frontier town expansion. Follow Jee's list it is near perfect. The only change I would make is getting more enemies prior to getting more heroes.

Haha, I knew I forgot something when I was typing. I got Frontier Town when I got City of Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know how this works out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget sales. I've seen various Shadows products on sale at the OLGS, and eBay has flash sales, so you can knock off $10 on a Shadows base set. See the Hot Deals forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.