Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group and I finished an Arcadia Quest campaign a while ago and had an awesome time. We are going to start a Beyond the Grave campaign this week and have been toying with ideas for drafting heroes.

In our last campaign we drafted heroes in a normal fashion. Player A picks 1 hero, Player B picks 1 hero, etc, until all four players had 3 heroes. Two of the four players had played AQ a few times before and knew some of the stronger heroes so this resulted in the teams being a little imbalanced right from the start.

This time around I've come up with a chaotic drafting solution. It goes like this:

Player A picks 1 hero for Player B
Player B picks 1 hero for Player C
Player C picks 1 hero for Player D
Player D picks 1 hero for Player A

Player A picks 1 hero for Player C
Player B picks 1 hero for Player D
Player C picks 1 hero for Player A
Player D picks 1 hero for Player B

Player A picks 1 hero for Player D
Player B picks 1 hero for Player A
Player C picks 1 hero for Player B
Player D picks 1 hero for Player C

Essentially, each player chooses 1 hero for each other player.

I'm excited to give it a try! It will be a great opportunity to see some of (all of?) the weaker heroes on the table. In addition, I think it will lead to more strategic decisions since players can't rely on super imbalanced hero skills/combos.

Has anyone given something like this a try? How did it turn out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does sound like a fun variant for a change. It would be fun to try to develop the "weaker" characters and see what kind of combos you can come up with and make work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
We use to draft same way we draft item cards. deal out cards instead of take 2 and pass its take 1 and pass. Do this three times.

Alternatively since I have every hero including Masmorra we now get to have a roster of 10 heroes in our guilds and can swap in between scenarios so draft up to 10 heroes and pick 3 for each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a 3 player variant of this, maybe have the last hero drafted be chosen by the controlling player as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrdabba wrote:
We use to draft same way we draft item cards. deal out cards instead of take 2 and pass its take 1 and pass. Do this three times.

Alternatively since I have every hero including Masmorra we now get to have a roster of 10 heroes in our guilds and can swap in between scenarios so draft up to 10 heroes and pick 3 for each game.

With a large roster, I've been wanting to make campaigns with large rosters and perma-death heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Ljubljana - Šentvid
Slovenia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is from the other post today, there is link to Mabbe Labbe (Mabluz) internet site where you can chose heroes by program picker.

Quote:
Ever wanted to randomize the picking of your Arcadia Quest heroes?
I have made a little website that does it for you.

http://mflagstad.com/character-picker/

I always felt like the random character pickers out there were kinda boring (excel sheets and what not), so I wanted to spice it up a bit. I also wanted to make something really generic and easy to change for everyone. This is why the list can be downloaded as a json file, manipulated to your liking and uploaded again to show your own list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we did our draft and played our first game last night. Here are the teams if anyone was interested how this might turn out!

Player A
Serious Faceless
Koba
Morgan

Player B
Pigsy
Lord Fang
Black Newt

Player C
Surprised Faceless
Bowie
Hitch

Player D
Sting
Frowny Faceless
The Nameless

Chaos. Chaos everywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ka Mi
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
good to see none of base game heroes are considered as weak..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.