Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether the player powers are unbalanced or not, it is pretty evident they are more or less useful depending on player count. (AKA Apothecary, Rancher, etc.)

I have played a lot of wargames where the two sides are unbalanced historically, and in tournament play you bid victory points to be able to select a side. I think doing so here would be an easy way to balance the player powers.

I was thinking something like:

During Setup: Draw N+1 characters and place them on the table faceup. (N being the number of players) Starting with the first player they may bid 0 or more victory points for the ability to choose a character from the ones drawn. In clockwise order each player may bid at least 1 more or opt out. Whoever has the highest bid selects one character. The bid then moves clockwise to the next player until all players have selected a starting character.

This would mean that balanced characters would most likely see all players bidding nothing, and if the Rancher or other such powerful abilities come up, those players would start with a handicap.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just deal out all Boss cards and players pick one. We haven't seen OP in any Bosses with 4 player games (what we play the most). I think the Rancher is probably a 'remove' for 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have mentioned it before, but we only play this as 2 player and Rancher is really strong. We just pick who we want, Ive been trying someone different as often as we play, but no one comes close as far as usefulness, as he does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Even in more than 2p the rancher is very strong, a 3rd char is just amazing, as is the ability to almost always get the last play. More than that there are characters that are almost useless. I like the idea of bidding, but I feel that would add more complication to the game than needed. Maybe just a set bonus or loss of points for each character depending on their ability. Personally I think I will just make all the 3 card draw powers permanent, and ban the rancher completely unless someone is brand new to the game, or normally not on par with the other players in ability. Either way to have to fix a game like this on your own demonstrates that this company still does not know how to play test their damn games. They have been around long enough that this should not be an issue. Totally unacceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Cook
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falccor77 wrote:
Even in more than 2p the rancher is very strong, a 3rd char is just amazing, as is the ability to almost always get the last play. More than that there are characters that are almost useless. I like the idea of bidding, but I feel that would add more complication to the game than needed. Maybe just a set bonus or loss of points for each character depending on their ability. Personally I think I will just make all the 3 card draw powers permanent, and ban the rancher completely unless someone is brand new to the game, or normally not on par with the other players in ability. Either way to have to fix a game like this on your own demonstrates that this company still does not know how to play test their damn games. They have been around long enough that this should not be an issue. Totally unacceptable.

Don't hold back. This is a safe space. Tell us how you really feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We just deal out the Boss cards randomly. It seems to work OK, given that most people at my Meetup group show up only to play games. No one really seems to care about winning or worrying about who's over-powered.

But I know not all groups are like that, and I admit the game would get old really quick if the player who has the Rancher is really adept at taking advantage of his ability.

So perhaps the best solution is to simply take the Rancher out of the box and toss him in your bin of spare and extra components!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some abilities do seem to me to be stronger than others, but I admittedly have only played this game around 5-10 times. Also, some are definitely more situational than others, but I'm sure the folks who made this game have tested it many more times and in many more situations than I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
The folks who tested it are probably the same that tested Kingdoms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played a game and I was frustrated with having the Lawman, while one of my opponents had the Gunslinger.

Now, I can see that I can potentially have +3 added when I'm dueling but that's if I don't buy anything. In fact, during the game, I never reached +2 advantage, because of the need to buy buildings to get any end-game score.

How come the Lawman has to work to get a +1, but the Gunslinger gets a +1 without having to do anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.