Popular Tags: podcast [+] [View All]
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was suprised when I listened to this weeks' Games for Windows Podcast to hear them talk about Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne. Jeff Green (Editor in Chief) discusses how he's hooked on Settlers for XBox Live and addresses the concern that the AI may cheat by magically rolling 7's if a live player gets too far ahead. They have a short board game discussion afterward. I don't have it on now, but I'd guess it's 20 minutes into the 2 hour show.

If you don't listen to the Games for Windows Podcast, its a great show. Tons of laughs and good information on computer gaming. The team seems to get along together well. However, WARNING: it isn't family friendly. Lots of explicit language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
When I first really got into social boardgaming on semi-regular basis, it was because of Settlers. And many of the people that became boardgamer in that same era were hooked because of Settlers. I'm very curious to see how the phenomena will parallel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
When I first really got into social boardgaming on semi-regular basis, it was because of Settlers.
There's no question Settlers caused a bit of a revolution when it appeared as a boardgame. If it can repeat it's performance as an online console game then online console gaming, which is a relatively new thing in and of itself, can only benefit. I just hope it doesn't get it's audience by taking actual boardgamers away from tabletop gaming. We need more face to face fun interaction in this increasingly isolating world, not less. Still, I'm optimistic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They talked about this same topic on the podcast. The editors of GFW talked about how boardgames would be great on XBox Live, and they hoped that Catan did well so that developers would do more of them.

I didn't know that Catan was created by Brian Reynolds before listening to this podcast. He was a Firaxis guy who worked on many of the Sid Meier games, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brealey
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, he was the main designer behind Civilization 2 and Alpha Centauri before he left to form Big Huge Games, where he designed Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.