Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: maps [+] [View All]
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know an easy method to create maps for games (mainly wargames) on the computer? Is there a freeware programm available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
You will need five ingredients:

- a vector drawing program: CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator if you want something professional (use older versions as these are more than adequate but usually sell for less than $25 or so) or Inkscape, which is freeware;
- a printer which knows about colour management (which might be at your local printing shop);
- blood;
- sweat; and
- tears.

There is no easy Do What I Mean-program available: the programs I mentioned are just the tools. The inspiration has to come from you (or a scanner or any other map source). When drawing your maps, make extensive use of layering facilities. If you have a good program, you can automate the mind-numbing tasks of precisely positioning hexes and other information with a scripts of sorts (Corel for example uses VBA.) Don't rush the job: a good-looking map is much nicer to play with than a shabby-looking one. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with Maarten. I've created literally dozens of maps over the last ten years, and have done the lion's share of them with less-than-the-latest versions of Corel Draw (with help from PhotoPaint, in the same package).

Some day, I might even get around to uploading some of them to BGG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
I tend to agree with Maarten. I've created literally dozens of maps over the last ten years, and have done the lion's share of them with less-than-the-latest versions of Corel Draw (with help from PhotoPaint, in the same package).

And someday I may actually get around to finishing Indo-Map! I'm so pitiful! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I use Illustrator, but there are mapmaking programs out there. For small scale maps Dundjini is pretty good. For larger scale maps I'd recommend Campaign Cartographer. Both have freeware/demo versions available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

And someday I may actually get around to finishing Indo-Map! I'm so pitiful! shake

Mike, I already finished mine three months ago, but I didn't want to steal your thunder, so I've kept it to myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Mike, I already finished mine three months ago, but I didn't want to steal your thunder, so I've kept it to myself.

Send me your's. I'd like to see what you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign cartographer suite might have tools that would be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

DarrellKH wrote:

MWChapel wrote:

Send me your's. I'd like to see what you did.

I always thought is was along the lines of:
"never get involved in a land war in Asia"
"never rely on a Chapel created map"
kinda thing. ninja

Is it going to be ready for BGG.CON'08?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a free online hex generator out there that might be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I draw and develop all my Age of Steam maps in Inkscape: http://inkscape.org/ See the Age of Steam gallery to see examples of the maps I've drawn (Central America, Wales, Japan, Denmark, South-East Australia, Isle of Wight, Launch!, New South Wales, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Engle
United States
Ellettsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I use Campaign Cartographer but really like th results one gets with Dundjinni. Dundjinni is especially good for small scale maps of buildings etc.

Chris Engle
Hamster Press

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Simmons
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A free hex generator is here:

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

I like to use it for my prototypes, but be prepared to spend some quality time with scissors!

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bader
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
Does anybody know an easy method to create maps for games (mainly wargames) on the computer? Is there a freeware programm available?

yes I know a methode,
I use my own writen software,
you may have a look at the output
http://www.vienna-asl-club.at/pageID_4166048.html

so tell me friend , why should I give you the
result of my work to you for free ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
JoBader wrote:
so tell me friend , why should I give you the result of my work to you for free ?

Because you believe in Free Software more religiously than does Richard Stallman...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a map drawing program for diplomacy variants. I can't remember where to download it but what it does is you create points and the connections between them and it translates this into a map, with areas for each point and adjacency between points which you connected. It will stop you connecting points which are topographically impossible to connect. The result is not very pretty, but for area-movement games its fairly useful.

Is anyone interested? if so I might try to see where I found it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bader
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
JoBader wrote:
so tell me friend , why should I give you the result of my work to you for free ?

Because you believe in Free Software more religiously than does Richard Stallman...?

ah yes, I am a believer since Richard pointed me the way to the
Patrolstation where I get fuel for nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
JoBader wrote:
ah yes, I am a believer since Richard pointed me the way to the Patrolstation where I get fuel for nothing.

Don't shoot the messenger . It seems to work for many people---just as it doesn't work for others. How people want to be 'paid' for their software is of course entirely their own decision.

That said: great-looking output. Would you mind explaining a bit how your program works? Is it for example a scripted tool, where you 'program' the map in a custom programming language? Or is it more of a drawing tool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the way to the
Patrolstation where I get fuel for nothing.

Surely some mistake? They don't have any fuel at the Patrolstation. I suppose if you are lucky you might get arrested for nothing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bader
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

That said: great-looking output. Would you mind explaining a bit how your program works? Is it for example a scripted tool, where you 'program' the map in a custom programming language? Or is it more of a drawing tool?

It comes with a graphical windows interface .
User may create a new map file by selecting size in Hex.
Terraintypes like streets and hexsides may be added
with variable widht and color.
Terrain can be placed by clicking on the zoom and scrollable map.
They may than be dragged on certain vector points via mouse.
Bigger bitmaps may be moved and sized in the background
while the map is transparent.
The output is not compatible to other apps.

do you have further questions to this ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
No, I was just wondering what sort of approach you had taken, and this satisfies my curiosity. Thanks for answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.