$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't own any of the 4 D&D titles and was wondering if i should jump straight in to this one?

My main concern is that Temple is the only one with persistance in that you play a campaign rather then seperate skirmishes. I fear that if i play Temple first with the campaign then i wouldn't want to go back to none campaign. But then if this is the best then should i just get Temple and only Temple?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashardalon has a simple campaign, mostly just 12 scenarios in with some basic persistence. No levelling though.

Wrath of Ashardalon is my favorite, but if campaign is important, TOEE.

As for ruining the others, I don't know. I enjoy mixing and matching them. Any characters from previous games can run through the TOEE campaign, and you can easily apply the leveling and advancement tokes from TOEE into earlier games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
going back is when you get creative making up similar campaign rules if thats for you...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advise this to start, the campaign system is such a great addition. It gives that extra push to get this to the table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mb
zaphoduk wrote:
I don't own any of the 4 D&D titles and was wondering if i should jump straight in to this one?

Yes, because if you really like this one, you can just buy more D&DAS box games and use the campaign rules and tokens from the ToEE box.

As for the game balance if you do that? I'm sure you can figure it out with a few modifications. Isn't that part of the fun for ppl who like D&D in general?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the four, TOEE is my favorite because of the integrated campaign, but any of the four are fun.

If you only tend to have an hour or two for a game for each session, you might actually find the other three more useful, since each of their adventures completely stand on their own. My group tends to pull these type of games out once every few months, and with the other three adventure path games you don't have to remember all of the details of what happened last session and how your heroes advanced. I suppose you could leave it set up or otherwise record the current game state, but we don't do that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
So i picked up TOEE and it hit the table last week. Man is this game brutal?

We were hit with event card after event card that just slaughtered us. We had three of those cards that put a flaming token on a tile and everyone on a tile with the flame on takes damage. I'm assuming the flames don't leave the tiles.

I think we were extra unlucky as most of the 12 tiles we drew had black triangles so we were damned if we did explore and damned if we didn't.

We quickly burnt through our 2 revive tokens until we remembered the ruling of spending exp to avoid the event cards. We managed to complete the first scenario but upon looking back, we played that last rule incorrectly. We were spending 1 single exp to avoid an event card instead of 5. We would most certainly have lost if we were playing the correct ruling.

Upon reflection we have decided to go back and play the first scenario again and play with the correct ruling. Whilst we did enjoy our playthrough, for a first scenario it seemed decidedly difficult.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought ToEE but have not had a chance to play it yet.

Me and my pals are still finishing Ravenloft, but we also have a few plays of Drizzt in and 1 play of Ashardlon.

They can be brutal, and sometimes worse than other times if you get bad card draws/tile draws.

Personally I like when games are hard and unforgiving, it give greater satisfaction when you win!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some bad luck! But an easy dungeon is a boring dungeon :)
Yes, the Mark of Imix stays on that tile.
I think ToEE has a lot more traps too, which can be good or bad. (I do prefer the way they're handled.)

I need to set it up again. I took a break around scenario 5 or so. (THere are some very cool scenarios.)
Try again, and don't get frustrated. It's a great game of a great game series.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphoduk wrote:
So i picked up TOEE and it hit the table last week. Man is this game brutal?

We were hit with event card after event card that just slaughtered us. We had three of those cards that put a flaming token on a tile and everyone on a tile with the flame on takes damage. I'm assuming the flames don't leave the tiles.

I think we were extra unlucky as most of the 12 tiles we drew had black triangles so we were damned if we did explore and damned if we didn't.

We quickly burnt through our 2 revive tokens until we remembered the ruling of spending exp to avoid the event cards. We managed to complete the first scenario but upon looking back, we played that last rule incorrectly. We were spending 1 single exp to avoid an event card instead of 5. We would most certainly have lost if we were playing the correct ruling.

Upon reflection we have decided to go back and play the first scenario again and play with the correct ruling. Whilst we did enjoy our playthrough, for a first scenario it seemed decidedly difficult.


As I recall, approximately half of the tiles have black triangles, so you were either extremely unlucky or didn't do a good enough job shuffling the tiles. Try it again, and maybe bump it up to 3 surges for the first few missions.

And be sure to only include the starting creatures and events in the deck! That's probably the most common mistake that people make with this game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AronR wrote:
zaphoduk wrote:
So i picked up TOEE and it hit the table last week. Man is this game brutal?

We were hit with event card after event card that just slaughtered us. We had three of those cards that put a flaming token on a tile and everyone on a tile with the flame on takes damage. I'm assuming the flames don't leave the tiles.

I think we were extra unlucky as most of the 12 tiles we drew had black triangles so we were damned if we did explore and damned if we didn't.

We quickly burnt through our 2 revive tokens until we remembered the ruling of spending exp to avoid the event cards. We managed to complete the first scenario but upon looking back, we played that last rule incorrectly. We were spending 1 single exp to avoid an event card instead of 5. We would most certainly have lost if we were playing the correct ruling.

Upon reflection we have decided to go back and play the first scenario again and play with the correct ruling. Whilst we did enjoy our playthrough, for a first scenario it seemed decidedly difficult.


As I recall, approximately half of the tiles have black triangles, so you were either extremely unlucky or didn't do a good enough job shuffling the tiles. Try it again, and maybe bump it up to 3 surges for the first few missions.

And be sure to only include the starting creatures and events in the deck! That's probably the most common mistake that people make with this game.


Yes! I shuffled decks together then upon reading the rules in more depth realized I wasn't supposed to. D'oh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
We definitely will go back to this but we have started our Pandemic Legacy campaign now so it'll be in the new year before we have time to come back to TOEE. With so many cool campaign based games (Pandemic Legacy, Descent, Arcadia Quest, ToEE and now Arkham Horror Card Game) working their way into my collection, quite a few games are going to have to take a back seat for a while.

Incidentally, i think we created the deck correctly. If i recall we only had cards up to i wanna say 140? Leaving the rest in the box. I'm assuming that's what you meant by "only include the starting creatures"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.