Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
The fourth instalment of the Voice of Experience contest was open to any review of a game played 10+ times, with an additional side-challenge for comparative reviews. The five judges have now completed their extensive deliberations - apologies again for the delay! While we didn't always agree about individual entries, we're all delighted to present the final list of prize-winers.

Grand Prize Winner - 100GG

Please join me in congratulating:
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

with [Voice of Experience] An overview of Terra Mystica and the most common complaints about the game, and how it fits into my journey through the world of boardgames. Henning continues an intriguing record of winners from non-English-speaking countries. We now have VoE champions from Slovenia, Brazil, Switzerland and Germany! His detailed critique impressed across the board with one judge commenting: "close to the definitive Terra Mystica review by a passionate lover of the game"

Silver Prize Winners - 30GG

In second place:

James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb

with [Voice of Experience] Mascarade, a Personal History. The judges were impressed by the journey through different stages of experience with the game: "Really enjoyed the commentary on how his experience with the game developed and how card choices could be tailored to suit different groups"; "Excellent review, filled with personal insights and solid design observations"; "Explorations on many levels - into the game, into the group dynamics, and into the writer himself".

Coming in third:

Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

with [Voice of Experience] Alien Artifacts after...a lot of plays: the thinker's Race expansion. Experience really showed here with a well-argued strategic breakdown by an expert player: "Has an insight, backs it with an impeccable analysis and guides the reader smoothly to the points it wants to make"; "Excellent review of an expansion after multiple plays that explains the card play in detail, and advantages and disadvantages of the card set".

Fourth place, and also Special Jury Prize - 50GG for best comparative review:

Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb

with [Voice of Experience] The Game versus Hanabi. Judges noted how well the feel as well as the mechanics were compared and contrasted: "Gave me enough information to understand from where the comparisons were coming, and showed through them how someone could like one better than the other"; "I like how it finds axes where the two games are on opposite spectrums, while still emphasizing their similarity".

Bronze Prize Winners - 10GG
(in no particular order):

Anonymousful: [Voice of Experience] Sugar-Free-for-all

Anonymousful: [Voice of Experience] Homo Homini Lupus: a comparative review of Modern Art and Ponzi Scheme

Rusty567: [Voice of Experience] One Girl’s Opinion: Thunderstone Advance vs Ascension

Rusty567: [Voice of Experience] One Girl’s Opinion: Automobiles

lbleicher: [Voice of Experience] Imperial as a gateway to heavier drugs, such as Poseidon

AernoutMJC: [Voice of Experience] Pandemic Expansions review

Especial congrats to the double prize-winners!

Wrap Up

I'd once again like to extend thanks to all those who made this contest possible. First come the writers themselves; not just the prize-winners but everyone who put so much thought and energy into their reviews. Even the reviews that missed out on a prize attracted plenty of positive comments - the overall standard was high.

As always, I couldn't have done this without my panel of judges. In particular, Samo kindly took over most of the organisation as a little something else was keeping me busy. Now that the judging is over, I hope the judges will join me in providing some feedback on what we liked and what we didn't about each of the reviews. I've selected positive comments above, but as befits the contest, we had plenty of critical thoughts and suggestions for improvement too.

Thanks also to the BGG community for responding with enthusiasm and generosity, once again topping up the tip jar for the prizes. I hope we'll do this again next year, and any thoughts about the type of contest you would like to see then would be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Henning, very well deserved thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen this before, but my $0.02 would be that I would love to see motivation/recognition for good reviews of recent games. By the time a game has been out a few years, there's lots of data to help make purchase decisions. Newer games really need high quality reviews, particularly from those who have played enough times to fully explore and synthesize all aspects of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats to all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaaaaay!!!! Thanks a lot, guys, I was postponing this Imperial review since forever, and it wouldn't have happened soon if not for the contest being the "kick" I needed to get it done.

Congratulations to all the participants, I've read many of them and they were great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael C
United States
Fort Worth
TX - Texas
flag msg tools
Sweet ending to a sweet contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is a nice surprise. I really enjoyed reading all of the entries, so thanks to all the writers and judges - and especially to Henning, who was a very worthy winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I never expected to win this and feel deeply honored. modest Thanks a ton to the organizers and all the participants, it was great fun to be a part of this contest and I would like to do it again. Greetings from Essen to everyone involved in this wonderful contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to everyone! Way to go Henning! Honored to have taken second, lots of great entries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick hi and grats from Essen . Great contst, looking forward to next year!

Gr. Deranged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As every year, you can ask judges to give feedback to your review(s) - on the geeklist. I'm usually more than happy to do this, some other judges also tend to chime in when asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to the other winners! I am honoured to have been chosen for the Bronze awards. I would also be happy to receive any feedback the judges might have that might help improve my writing.

Also, thanks to Martin for running the event, and thanks to the judges for their hard work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.