Popular Tags: [View All]
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A Global Strategy Group poll for the DCCC finds the exact same 49-42 spread between a generic Democrat vs. generic Republican. Even worse (for the GOP):
Quote:
Against a Republican "who continues to endorse Donald Trump" the Democratic margin moves from a 7-point advantage to a 12-point advantage.

Similarly, against a "Republican candidate who had supported Trump previously, but just withdrew their support" the Democratic margin moves from a 7-point advantage to a 12-point advantage.

Finally, even against a "Republican candidate who never formally endorsed Donald Trump and now says they won't vote for him" the Democratic margin moves from a 7-point advantage to a 10-point advantage.

The reason voters hold House Republicans similarly accountable, regardless of their reaction since Trump video bombshell, is that voters believe Republicans withdrawing Trump support are doing it for political reasons and for self-preservation – not because they have character or integrity.

This could be epic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the Republicans will lose the House. The Senate is a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:

A Global Strategy Group poll for the DCCC finds the exact same 49-42 spread between a generic Democrat vs. generic Republican. Even worse (for the GOP):
Quote:
Against a Republican "who continues to endorse Donald Trump" the Democratic margin moves from a 7-point advantage to a 12-point advantage.

Similarly, against a "Republican candidate who had supported Trump previously, but just withdrew their support" the Democratic margin moves from a 7-point advantage to a 12-point advantage.

Finally, even against a "Republican candidate who never formally endorsed Donald Trump and now says they won't vote for him" the Democratic margin moves from a 7-point advantage to a 10-point advantage.

The reason voters hold House Republicans similarly accountable, regardless of their reaction since Trump video bombshell, is that voters believe Republicans withdrawing Trump support are doing it for political reasons and for self-preservation – not because they have character or integrity.

This could be epic...

And this before the news about his predilection for walking in on teen girls changing.

Oh this will be so enjoyable to watch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Why do you think Ryan et al having been scrambling to distance themselves from Trump? Insider polling is showing Trump is having a negative effect on Congressional and even a few state races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the meeting... "I'm a rich white guy. Of course the Republican party will think I'm one of them. Then, I'll implode my candidacy and you will easily win!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I can see the meeting... "I'm a rich white guy. Of course the Republican party will think I'm one of them. Then, I'll implode my candidacy and you will easily win!"

Sadly, I can see this being similar to his concession speech.

"I won this election for Hillary Clinton and that proves I'm the best ever at politics."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the House will flip at this point--though there's lots of time for more Trumpery--but one interesting factor is that ten states have voting machines that allow you to vote a straight party ticket with one action, including some battleground states like Pennsylvania and Iowa. For voters disgusted with the election who want to get things over with....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I don't think the House will flip at this point--though there's lots of time for more Trumpery--but one interesting factor is that ten states have voting machines that allow you to vote a straight party ticket with one action, including some battleground states like Pennsylvania and Iowa. For voters disgusted with the election who want to get things over with....

Michigan got rid of it to help the voters "become more informed". NOT to decrease the numbers of people who can actually vote in large urban districts AT ALL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
When did we lose straight party tickets? We had it last time I voted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
When did we lose straight party tickets? We had it last time I voted.

My bad the higher court stuck it down. The pretense as to why it passed in Lansing is clear though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/10/us/politics/supreme-court-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
Quote:

Dumb question here--I didn't read that link, but why does a move from e.g. "a 7-point advantage to a 12-point advantage" translate to putting the House in play? That is, how is a 12-point advantage "more winning" than a 7-point advantage--aren't they both winning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
Quote:

Dumb question here--I didn't read that link, but why does a move from e.g. "a 7-point advantage to a 12-point advantage" translate to putting the House in play? That is, how is a 12-point advantage "more winning" than a 7-point advantage--aren't they both winning?

Because of gerrymandering and other factors with how districts are made up, a 7-point advantage (nationally, at the presidential level, the assumption being it would also translate to House of Representatives votes) may not be enough to gain a Democratic majority in the House. A 12-point margin nearly certainly would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

I don't think it does necessarily. The Presidential election and the House elections are distinct. Mostly.

One factor I was unaware of is that ten (I've heard different numbers) states have straight ticket voting, where you can just vote all Republican or all Democrat. With such a distasteful figure at the head of the Republican party, those states could tilt Democratic up and down the ticket.

Any other factors would be psychological. Are people disgusted with the GOP as a whole? Do they want Clinton to have support in Congress, or contrariwise, do they want split government?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Just a WAG, but perhaps that puts it outside the margin of error for the survey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I don't think the Republicans will lose the House. The Senate is a different story.

It is a long shot, but given the state of the race and recent polling noted above, it is within the realm of possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

I don't think it does necessarily. The Presidential election and the House elections are distinct. Mostly.

One factor I was unaware of is that ten (I've heard different numbers) states have straight ticket voting, where you can just vote all Republican or all Democrat. With such a distasteful figure at the head of the Republican party, those states could tilt Democratic up and down the ticket.

Any other factors would be psychological. Are people disgusted with the GOP as a whole? Do they want Clinton to have support in Congress, or contrariwise, do they want split government?

A lot of republicans may not show up to vote at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.