Hide
24 Posts

Evolution: Climate» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules for Promo Pack III? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sae
msg tools
I just received the game with the promo pack and could not find any rules for the Promo pack III.

1) Does anyone know if there is an online rulebook?
I wonder how the mini-exp plant boards would work.

2) Should I simply add-in the extra trait cards I want or should I remove some other trait cards to balance the number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since the very beginning, NSG has always recommended a 1-to-1 exchange when implementing promo cards into the deck.

Add to many, and the game will stretch out for a lot longer time.

From experience, try to keep the values the same. So rather than 7 or each card, have 6 of each card (including promos). Replace a 1 food card by another 1 food card.

Again, you don't want to make the game overly easy or difficult because of cards you swapped out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blipadouzi wrote:
Ever since the very beginning, NSG has always recommended a 1-to-1 exchange when implementing promo cards into the deck.

From experience, try to keep the values the same. So rather than 7 or each card, have 6 of each card (including promos). Replace a 1 food card by another 1 food card.

Again, you don't want to make the game overly easy or difficult because of cards you swapped out.

This is a little odd. Generally, NS suggests swapping out all copies of a trait for one of the promo traits. For example, pulling all copies of the Horns trait out of the deck and adding in all 7 cards for the 'Quills' promo trait. Swapping traits out based on food value alone seems like it will dramatically mess with game balance where the interplay between offensive and defensive traits is concerned.

Edit: Perhaps I'm misunderstanding... are you suggesting dropping every trait down to 6 cards each, and trying to observe food value parity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayfarer82 wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:

This is a little odd. Generally, NS suggests swapping out all copies of a trait for one of the promo traits. For example, pulling all copies of the Horns trait out of the deck and adding in all 7 cards for the 'Quills' promo trait. Swapping traits out based on food value alone seems like it will dramatically mess with game balance where the interplay between offensive and defensive traits is concerned.

Edit: Perhaps I'm misunderstanding... are you suggesting dropping every trait down to 6 cards each, and trying to observe food value parity?

Yes, my first sentence confirms what you are saying, I just didn't explain it correctly. Swap a full trait out 1-for-1.

Personally... in an effort to get all traits in the game, including the promos, I'll add all cards into the deck... Let's say Base + Flight + Promo I + Promo II.

Then I'll remove 1 card from each trait until I reach the standard deck size of Base + Flight together. So the variety is added by the Promos, but balance is maintained as much as feasibly possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sae
msg tools
Thank you for both of your quick replies.
Sorry for the obvious question as I haven't played evolution before.

I guess I prefer downsizing every trait by 1 card to add in some more traits.
Anyway I will try to check value details before swapping the trait cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only "problem" with that idea is that it only maintains the number of cards in the deck, but it waters down the availability of Carnivores, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Flight add in more Carnivore cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the games I've played, the consensus seems to be that another round is actually preferable. Myself and those I play with wouldn't mind a longer game and therefore more cards added.

However, just adding the promos does mess with the ratios a bit. Particularly of the Carnivore cards and any of the cards that go together like Ambush/Warning Call or Camouflage/Good Eyesight.

What I would do is to only add the promo cards for "flavoring" and leave the deck alone. Remove nothing and maybe add only 3 cards of a promo trait. That way you get a larger variety of cards and perhaps a longer game without diluting the deck too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goldman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
syhitk wrote:
I just received the game with the promo pack and could not find any rules for the Promo pack III.

The Rulebook can be found here
https://www.northstargames.com/collections/strategy-games/pr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Thud105 wrote:
The only "problem" with that idea is that it only maintains the number of cards in the deck, but it waters down the availability of Carnivores, doesn't it?

It shouldn't. I think what he means is that he'll add 6 cards from a promo set while removing 1 card from 6 different traits, presumably excluding the carnivore from those. Also when selecting which cards to remove he matches the amount of food being taken out to the amount being put in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
syhitk wrote:

No one is asking the most important question... How did you get this game?!! Are you a Kickstarter backer? Where do you live?!! surprise

syhitk wrote:

We will post the micro-plant expansion rules on our website. It'll be a priority now that it sounds like people might be getting their games:

http://www.northstargames.com/collections/strategy-games/pro...

syhitk wrote:
2) Should I simply add-in the extra trait cards I want or should I remove some other trait cards to balance the number?

Exchange 1 set of 7 trait cards for another set of 7 trait cards. If you exchange like color traits for like color traits, then you can exchange as many as you want. Changing the food values will change the experience and the strategies, but it won't affect the balance of the game.

Don't increase the number of traits in the game. That leads to a less balanced game without adding anything. Evolution is already packed with variety based upon the amount of food in the watering hole, the number of Carnivores in play, and the play styles of the people behind the cards. Adding more trait cards does not increase the variety of play as much as make it less predictable and less balanced. If you want a different game experience, exchange 5 sets cards for 5 sets cards. The optimal strategies will be greatly affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
From the games I've played, the consensus seems to be that another round is actually preferable. Myself and those I play with wouldn't mind a longer game and therefore more cards added.

Don't add more cards. Just play two rounds after you shuffle instead of one. Adding a bunch of cards together does not make a better game. It just makes a mess. Think of it like cooking. You don't make a meal better by looking through your cabinet and randomly adding things that taste good. You'll end up with curry powder in your wine glass mixes with ice cream and beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
blipadouzi wrote:
Personally... in an effort to get all traits in the game, including the promos, I'll add all cards into the deck... Let's say Base + Flight + Promo I + Promo II.

See this was the same Idea I had. I really think that this keeps the card count manageable while adding the additional variety of the promo cards. I didn't think of trying to insure similar food count though, thanks for the idea.

Edit: Apparently this is not recommended though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
syhitk wrote:

No one is asking the most important question... How did you get this game?!! Are you a Kickstarter backer? Where do you live?!! surprise

I thought it, but I didn't ask it because last time I did, it was pointed out that it was the PnP version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
Thud105 wrote:
domcrap wrote:
syhitk wrote:

I thought it, but I didn't ask it because last time I did, it was pointed out that it was the PnP version.

The OP did say that the "just received" their copy and it had the promo cards, so it does sound like they got the actual product.

I second Dominic's question. Sae, are you a Kiskstarter backer? Where are you located? Inquiring minds want to know!!!surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
domcrap wrote:
CenozoicMatt wrote:

Don't add more cards. Just play two rounds after you shuffle instead of one. Adding a bunch of cards together does not make a better game. It just makes a mess. Think of it like cooking. You don't make a meal better by looking through your cabinet and randomly adding things that taste good. You'll end up with curry powder in your wine glass mixes with ice cream and beer.

But this does sound like a great idea if you're more interested in seeing how close this game can get to an evolution simulator instead of a balanced game. The real world is very messy. I'd play with all the cards with the Darwinian Selection rule where traits are placed randomly. It might not be very fun, but I paid for all the cards, I can use them as I please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sae
msg tools
Thank you for all your replies and suggestions.
Maybe I will leave out the promo trait cards for the 1st game and then see which to swap in next time.

Also thanks for the rules of the plant boards.

To reply your questions, I joined a local group purchase in Hong Kong for the kickstarter campaign. I guess shipping here is fastest due to proximity to the manufacturing country
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guthmundur wrote:
I'd play with all the cards with the Darwinian Selection rule where traits are placed randomly. It might not be very fun, but I paid for all the cards, I can use them as I please.

That does sound fun. Invite me over when you try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
syhitk wrote:

Exchange 1 set of 7 trait cards for another set of 7 trait cards. If you exchange like color traits for like color traits, then you can exchange as many as you want. Changing the food values will change the experience and the strategies, but it won't affect the balance of the game.

Don't increase the number of traits in the game. That leads to a less balanced game without adding anything. Evolution is already packed with variety based upon the amount of food in the watering hole, the number of Carnivores in play, and the play styles of the people behind the cards. Adding more trait cards does not increase the variety of play as much as make it less predictable and less balanced. If you want a different game experience, exchange 5 sets cards for 5 sets cards. The optimal strategies will be greatly affected.

Thanks Dominic for the clarification.

From your experience, would it mess too much the balance if I just throw in one set of promo cards (7) at a time, without removing any other basic traits? This was my original idea for using the promos, to add some flavor to each games since there will always be the same basic cards (so basic strategies and balance should be kept mostly intact) but with the twist of having a new trait in each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:
Thanks Dominic for the clarification.

From your experience, would it mess too much the balance if I just throw in one set of promo cards (7) at a time, without removing any other basic traits? This was my original idea for using the promos, to add some flavor to each games since there will always be the same basic cards (so basic strategies and balance should be kept mostly intact) but with the twist of having a new trait in each game.

I think that's a great way to do it. It would give variety without changing the fundamentals very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
In the spirit of promoting the designer/publisher, I feel that I should post this, however, in the spirit of protecting my sources, I will not reveal specific information. Living in Shanghai, I ordered the English retail version through a popular local website, and the game arrived about a week ago.

To be honest, I was hoping it was a preorder for the Kickstarter edition and was disappointed to find that I've traded an extra month or two of playtime for all of the promo features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheddarific wrote:
To be honest, I was hoping it was a preorder for the Kickstarter edition and was disappointed to find that I've traded an extra month or two of playtime for all of the promo features.

I don't understand. Are you saying you did not get the Promo Pack III?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheddarific wrote:
... in the spirit of protecting my sources, I will not reveal specific information. Living in Shanghai, I ordered the English retail version through a popular local website, and the game arrived about a week ago.

Why are you needing to protect sources? It makes me wonder if something shady is going on. Did you get the game from Coyote Games? They purchased a number of games from us when they were hot off the press.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gonzalez Pavón
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules for Promo Pack III
I got the game and expansion III at the North Star booth in Spiel 16 in Essen, where the game became very popular and quite a few people bought it. I received the advice of not combining Flight with Climate, at least at the beginning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.