Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with the expansions I hear they are basically the base game tiles and stuff. Are the expansions the base game stuff or are they new things. I dont get it.

I heard if you have the expansions it gives the game lots more replay-ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current expansions are reprints of the first edition. Recurring nightmares is the tiles, investigators and monsters from the original base game. Suppressed Memories reprints the first editions expansions. They offer more variety in the 2nd edition scenarios as well as an additional scenario each.

FFG just announced another expansion, Beyond the Threshold, that will be new content. So far they've shown two new investigators, a new monster type and two new scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a newbie to the game, myself. So if the expansions are nothing more than reprints of the first edition, which is cheaper... buying the 2ed expansions, or buying the 1st edition?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

I'm a newbie to the game, myself. So if the expansions are nothing more than reprints of the first edition, which is cheaper... buying the 2ed expansions, or buying the 1st edition?

Thx!

First edition is out of print, but you might find it at Barnes and Noble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Thx!

For the relative low cost & easy availability the 2nd Edition expansions are very attractive if you don't have the 1st Edition stuff already.

Recurring Nightmares is cheaper than the core 1st Ed. game but I'm sure if you looked long enough/asked around for the map tiles & models then someone might be willing to trade those for less than the cost of Recurring Nightmares. The 2nd Edition only uses those parts of the original game, not the cards and such.

Suppressed Memories is so much cheaper than buying the 1st Ed. expansions which can cost an ungodly amount of money in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Osiris, perfect answer. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
So with the expansions I hear they are basically the base game tiles and stuff. Are the expansions the base game stuff or are they new things. I dont get it.

Here is a simple breakdown of what is what, for easy understanding:

1 - Mansions of Madness Second Edition Base Game

All new tiles/minis/cards, must own this to play ANY of the scenarios in the app. If you just own this there are currently 4 scenarios in the app you can play.

2 - Mansions of Madness Second Edition Recurring Nightmares Expansion

Just the tiles/minis from Mansions of Madness First Edition base game. If you own this OR the first edition base game (plus the Second Edition Base Game with the included conversion kit) then you can play the scenario in the app for Recurring Nightmares.

3 - Mansions of Madness Second Edition Suppressed Memories Expansion

Just the tiles/minis from the Mansions of Madness First Edition expansions. If you own this OR the first edition expansions (plus the Second Edition Base Game with the included conversion kit) then you can play the scenario in the app for Suppressed Memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:

No, not really. Only two of the four base game scenarios use any content from the expansions and their effect is mostly cosmetic.

Each expansion does come with one new scenario that uses its components.

Is it worth $50 for one new scenario and a few minor changes to two other scenarios? Only you can make that decision for yourself. For me they are not worth the cost until FFG releases more scenarios that use those components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
WolfVonhinslik wrote:

No, not really. Only two of the four base game scenarios use any content from the expansions and their effect is mostly cosmetic.

Is it worth $50 for one new scenario and a few minor changes to two other scenarios? Only you can make that decision for yourself. For me they are not worth the cost until FFG releases more scenarios that use those components.

Actually one two out of the four use tiles from the expansions, but they will all draw from the monsters in the expansions. Plus the expansions provide new investigators to use in all the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the first edition so initially I incorporated the tiles and figures into the second edition using the conversion kit.

I was initially looking for the 1st edition expansions via eBay when they announced the first two 2nd edition expansions.

I've since picked up both 2nd edition expansions and have "re-assembled" the 1st edition game and will put that up on either the bgg market or ebay.**

**It should be noted that I LOVE the 1st edition but I simple can't find enough people to play it (usually too long of a time commitment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
cbrua wrote:
WolfVonhinslik wrote:

I realize it's subjective but I would also add that the general consensus is those two scenarios are also pretty lousy. Most of the tiles contained in the set aren't even used in those two scenarios and who knows when they may be. It appears as if the scenarios coming in the near future wont use the tiles either, except possibly for variants.

Consider also my post here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1636024/base-game-total...

With all of the above I would absolutely not recommend the tile / figure sets as things stand unless you have rabid enthusiasm for the game and no kind of budget for your hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
cbrua wrote:
WolfVonhinslik wrote:

Interesting. I've had monsters from 1E crop up in all the scenarios. It was always obvious when it happened as up until last week I hadn't painted the 2E stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
cbrua wrote:
WolfVonhinslik wrote:

I realize it's subjective but I would also add that the general consensus is those two scenarios are also pretty lousy. Most of the tiles contained in the set aren't even used in those two scenarios and who knows when they may be. It appears as if the scenarios coming in the near future wont use the tiles either, except possibly for variants.

For this reason I'm convinced we will be getting a big box wilderness expansion at some point. It's not like those CotW tiles can get used anywhere else as variants. They just wouldn't fit in to a street/house scenario. Only way it made sense to release them all is if they'll be used for variant maps for future wilderness scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.