Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion:

This is one of my favorite cooperative games. There is a lot going on so it can be played solo but I don't know I would recommend it. This game requires everyone to work together. If you have a selfish player, you will lose. The game requires everyone to give glory to another player. This is an amazing facet of the game!

The art and the components are top notch. They really hit it out of the park on this game. This could have easily turned into Shadowrun game where you just match icons and you do some of that, but I actually felt like I was fighting those monsters. Each monster attacks differently and has a different combination of curses. Brilliant!

This game is hard and there are three different levels. Each is harder than the next. This is a fantastic element to this as this game is stocked with variety (although I want an expansion!).

While the game is a little hard to jump into, the payoff is there. The idea that not everyone is going to get an equal number of turns to smash the monster is brilliant. Thus, you have to support each other; you must give actions to other players; you have to let someone else take the glory for the common good. What a unique concept in a board game! This doesn't sound like a huge deal, but it is. This makes multiple decisions very important: are we even going to try to beat this monster? If so, who has the best chance of drawing an Air card we need to beat a curse? Timing is so important: We need to beat this curse first so we don't get beat down by it. Fantastic!

As you can tell, I really like this game. I've played it a lot. Each time, I've missed a rule here or there. It is easy to do with this game. Yet, I always keep going back for more. If you don't think you would like this game, give it a play anyway. Otherwise, buy this game.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are top notch. The turn marker looks like a book and is great. The book of madness you are using looks exactly like a book. The icons could have looked a little different (easy to confuse air and water). Otherwise, the art is out of this world and the production is incredible. Great job!

Rule Book:

The rule book is not very good. We had a few issues learning the game so it could have been better. Also, the player aid is on the opposite side of your player card. So, you cannot see your power and the player aid at the same time. There are extras in the game you can use, but in a 5 player game someone will share (or use the rule book).

There are a few little rules that can be easily forgotten (you get a 2 element when you beat a curse). It is well worth learning how to play.

Flow of the Game:

Goal: You are trying to defeat the last monster in the book. If you beat him, you win the game.

Each person plays a different spell caster. There are 8 in the box and each has a different special power and 4 of the 8 have different card set ups.

The game plays like a deck builder although it doesn't feel like one. You can upgrade your deck to use your deck to defeat curses that come out.

On your turn:

You can upgrade your elements.
You can beat a curse.
You can use a spell.

This is what you will do mostly. These three actions on what really pushes the game.

What makes it really fun is that every 5 turns is a round. So players do not get a equal number of turns to be a monster (a new monster comes out each round). This makes cooperating and helping others (by supporting or giving actions to other players) very important! I can't stress enough how you have to discuss and plan out each round. You may not want to try to defeat a monster each round.

The game is best seen rather than typed out to learn how to play.

Should I buy this game?:

This is a really fun, very cooperative game. There is a ton of variety in the box which should allow the game to last a long time for you. Everything in the game is top notch and the game is hard. Excellent game that should at least be played by most gamers. I highly recommend this game.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1095 The Big Book of Madness: Spells, powers, elements galore! Monsters! AGH!!!
Hah! your review didn't make me buy a game for once! But only because I picked it up a couple days ago. Another great review that makes me want to play it even more. Have to get this out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Re: The Purge: # 1095 The Big Book of Madness: Spells, powers, elements galore! Monsters! AGH!!!
I can definitely concur with the reviewer. For me, this game was an impulse buy just based on its art, and I've found it to be hugely worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game is really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
The game plays like a deck builder although it doesn't feel like one.

My thoughts exactly. I like it.

The only negative is that I felt obligated to sleeve the smaller cards, given how grimy/sticky they got after one play. Then I had to ditch the insert (cards wouldn't fit), and now I have a multi-bagged mess that's a pain to set up. But it's worth it, ultimately.

By the way, I don't sleeve anything - ever. Except this and the Legendary series. Mediocre or bad cardstock in deck-building games drives me crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
william4192 wrote:

The only negative is that I felt obligated to sleeve the smaller cards, given how grimy/sticky they got after one play. Then I had to ditch the insert (cards wouldn't fit), and now I have a multi-bagged mess that's a pain to set up. But it's worth it, ultimately.

By the way, I don't sleeve anything - ever. Except this and the Legendary series. Mediocre or bad cardstock in deck-building games drives me crazy.

I kept the insert and drop the sleeved cards in a bag and place under insert. I like having as many things in the insert as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
Hah! your review didn't make me buy a game for once! But only because I picked it up a couple days ago. Another great review that makes me want to play it even more. Have to get this out soon.

Don't worry, I"ll get you next time whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
william4192 wrote:

I also sleeved Legendary and I don't sleeve anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.