Subject: Vassal or Steam for online play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it looks like there are two board game emulators out there for our favorite game. I'd like to play with my sister who lives in another state. Do any of you have experience with either or both the Vassal or Steam version and could offer opinions on which is better? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is no steam version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
When you gain this card from the deck, gain 2 Clues. ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my brother-in-another-state regularly using TableTop Simulator (PC/Mac on Steam). I own the game and most expansions, fwiw, which we play during visits.

It may take a little while to get fully used to the interface, but it's enjoyable, you can save games mid-session, and there is even built-in voice chat. (The biggest issue is that there can be a sizable delay with voice chat, but it can be resolved by turning off the chat on both ends for about 10 seconds.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the Vassal implementation, although Vassal is pretty fiddly. But I appreciate the asynchronous play ability.

But I use Vassal exclusively for solo play now. No table space used! So setup/breakdown!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. It looks like Steam is prettier, but Vassal's not bad and best of all free. Trying it out now. Does anyone know if it uses much data/broadband while playing with others online? I have rural satellite internet with a monthly data cap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question regarding Steam. I see that it costs $19.99. Is that a one time payment for the program then all game mods are free or does one have to pay for each game separately, or worse yet, a monthly subscription fee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a 1 time cost for the program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used Vassal live, so I don't even know if it has that capability. I just take my turn, save it as a file, and upload it to a shared Dropbox. Then, the next player downloads it, takes their turn, then saves their file. Then they upload it to Dropbox for the next player.

Like I said, pretty fiddly. But it works for us since we don't usually have the time to sit through a whole session at once. One game takes us a couple of weeks to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal does have a live play option, though I haven't used it yet. It works fine, but I've seen a Steam version of Arkham Horror before and it was just so cool, not as many little windows as on Vassal, and the EH mod looks beautiful too. Just not sure about how to get the mod with Steam. Just subscribe? Download? Also, I haven't seen a Steam mod that includes all available expansions including Signs of Carcosa.

Another question regarding Steam: Does its mod also not include the flip side of double sided cards to ensure you own a copy? Just curious.

Thanks again! Good to know Steam is just a one time cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tabletop simulator is a great game, and you only pay to buy the program. Individual mods (read: games) are available to download on Steam, no extra fee required. All the mods are user created, and some of them pay lip service to requiring you to own your own copy, while others don't. I haven't noticed any elements of the Eldritch Horror mods that omit anything.

Because the engine handles the physics and manual elements such as shuffling, the experience you get in TS is very much like playing the physical game in real life, and the graphics compliment that. I'd highly recommend picking up TS if there are people elsewhere that you'd like to play games with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, Alasdair. One more question, so if I wanted to play EH with my sister via Steam's Tabeltop simulator, do both of us need to buy the program, or does only one person need to have it to host the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
both i believe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hart
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured that it'd be a good idea to point out, Tabletop Simulator is 50% off this week, so if you haven't gotten it yet and want to, it's $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.