Subject: Draw a card vs Take a card into your hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Brewer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We received Terraforming Mars last week and are loving it so far! We've had one question come up that doesn't seem to be specifically answered in the forums or the rule book as far as I can tell.

What is the difference between the terminology of "draw a card" and "take a card into your hand"?

Thus far, we've been playing that if a card or other action (from a corporation or something) let's you "draw a card," then you must pay to keep it and if a card effect says to "take a card into your hand" then you need not pay to keep it. I understand that the placement bonus cards are free to keep, but it seems odd that there are two different terms for receiving cards from other card effects. Are these intended to be synonymous? Is there a delineation somewhere that we missed? Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBigLeBrewski wrote:
We received Terraforming Mars last week and are loving it so far! We've had one question come up that doesn't seem to be specifically answered in the forums or the rule book as far as I can tell.

What is the difference between the terminology of "draw a card" and "take a card into your hand"?

Thus far, we've been playing that if a card or other action (from a corporation or something) let's you "draw a card," then you must pay to keep it and if a card effect says to "take a card into your hand" then you need not pay to keep it. I understand that the placement bonus cards are free to keep, but it seems odd that there are two different terms for receiving cards from other card effects. Are these intended to be synonymous? Is there a delineation somewhere that we missed? Thanks in advance!

I'd bet they are meant to be the same. They use the same symbols right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been stated before that you only pay 3 mega credits for cards during the initial 10 card draw, and during the research phase.
In all other instances the cards are drawn / taken into your hand and kept for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
It's been stated before that you only pay 3 mega credits for cards during the initial 10 card draw, and during the research phase.
In all other instances the cards are drawn / taken into your hand and kept for free.

Unless specified on the card. There are cards which let you draw a card and let you buy it if you like otherwise discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Unless specified on the card. There are cards which let you draw a card and let you buy it if you like otherwise discard it.

Really? Which cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:
newsaidin wrote:

Really? Which cards?

I stand corrected, there is at least one, maybe two sciencey cards that allow to. Draw cards then decide to buy them or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
I stand corrected

The main point stands tho: Effects that just tell you to "draw a card" or "take a card into your hand" are synonymous and both mean to draw project cards directly to your hand, keeping them without having to pay anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
newsaidin wrote:
I stand corrected

The main point stands tho: Effects that just tell you to "draw a card" and "take a card into your hand" are synonymous and both mean to draw project cards directly to your hand, keeping them without having to pay anything.
Yes they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
The manual is pretty clean saying you only need to pay to add cards to your hand in research phase. When you get a card due to a bonus(card symbol), they added directly to your hand. It's in the last pages of the manual, if you need further proof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.