Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Legendary: Deadpool» Forums » General

Subject: Suitability for Solo Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I play Legendary exclusively solo which I think works really well. Of the spoiled cards I've seen, it doesn't seem like the Deadpool expansion lends itself to solo play. Before I buy, I'd like to get some feedback from the community. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely looks like this set in part relies on multiple players, but it will be hard to tell until I get the set, or someone spoils it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Baker
msg tools
Having gotten my hands on the box, there are really two issues for "solo" play. My favorite way to play is to play 2 hands by myself - I usually don't look at the other hand until it is its turn, so I do not know more than I should. Anyway, the biggest card I had trouble with before this was Ronan the Accuser from the Guardians of the Galaxy expansion. With a two player game, each hand points at the other, so everyone gets a wound. I haven't tried it with a 3 hand game yet.

With Deadpool, there are two cards that are problematic.

The first is Bob, Agent of HYDRA's uncommon, "How Do I Get Out of Here?", where you ask another player a question about their card. I figured I could ask myself a question without looking at the card - i.e. I guess it is blue or it has a cost of 3 or whatever. If I'm right, then the "other" hand draws, and if not I do.
The other card is Slapstick's common card "Napoleon Complex". Here, I can, before I start the game, decide which "hand" belongs to me and which to a proxy player (like my son). Then I can decide which hand is "taller" for the purposes of the card.

How these would work in a pure solo game, I have no idea. I shifted to the 2 hand mode after Villains when Magneto become completely unplayable in a solo game.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. There definitely appear to be some Ronan-like cards. I'm hopeful that, like Ronan, they work when played solo, albeit perhaps suboptimally, but I haven't gone over the phrasing exactly to see how they work when there's exactly one player/hand. This obviously has implications for the Legendary solo leagues.

After Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China's anti-solo stance, I'm not sure we can take it for granted that each Marvel Legendary expansion will be solo-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macho Gomez will be brutal for solo play as there's no-one else to move the master-strikes off onto, you'll be picking up five wounds by the final masterstrike.

Slapstick's Napolean Complex card is pretty useless in solo, you get neither bonus because there's no-one either taller or shorter than you.

Deadpool's rare is also not great as it just gives you an extra turn once per game.

There are quite a few villain/mastermind card effects which make some sort of competition between players and the loser gets a negative effect. In solo play, you'll just get the negative effect every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like I'll be skipping this expansion for now.

Looking forward to what comes next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still undecided. There are some effects here that look good and I'd like to try out, but then for solo play there's a lot of wounds, discards and useless cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Komos
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I usually play solo as 3 players. It isn't too many hands to track and allows me to play with the normal rules and use a couple strategies per game. I do have to keep paper near to track the combos I can utilize. That would work and you can declare someone taller or shorter. The other idea would be to use dice to randomize the taller/shorter or the amount of wounds received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody tried these cards in advanced solo mode yet?

Be interested to hear how it went, was it fun/too hard etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny M
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only just bought and played this solo... it's just way too difficult to be enjoyable, and I can mainly attribute that to the 'Revenge for' rules included with the villain sets in the game.

With each villain you have in your score pile, the other villains of that set with the 'revenge for' text gain +1. So it quickly escalates to a point where ordinary villains become way too powerful before you've had the opportunity to build up some decent attack power in your deck.

I actually really like the revenge rules, and it's clear that it's meant for multi-play, as all kills aren't stacking on the one person, but for solo it's a definite no-no.

Can't recommend this one if solo Legendary is your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.