Subject: Draw pile empty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Andersen
United States
Fairbanks
Alaska
flag msg tools
What are you supposed to do when there are no more cards in the draw pile?

The rules don't say but every time we play with 4 players the last turn or two there are no cards left in the draw pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But there are cards in the discard pile I assume?
It would be logical to shuffle does and form a new draw pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
el_crosso wrote:
But there are cards in the discard pile I assume?
It would be logical to shuffle does and form a new draw pile.

It would be equally logical to say they would have told you to shuffle if the draw pile runs out, thus, you just don't draw cards anymore as there are none to draw.

I'm mostly curious how the games are lasting that long. When we played with 2 players, the game went 9 generations (Or 11 if we miscounted). But since the end conditions don't change by player count, I'd assume less rounds in games with more players.

I'd note this was the beginners game, where we likely had more cards or money, so perhaps the game might go around 12 rounds for 2 player.

Just to make sure, since many others have done this wrong, are you playing every round until everyone passes and not just doing 0/1/2 actions per generation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You shuffle the discards and make a new draw pile.

mfl134 wrote:
I'm mostly curious how the games are lasting that long.

It's fairly common at higher player counts and without the +1 starting production bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

Just to make sure, since many others have done this wrong, are you playing every round until everyone passes and not just doing 0/1/2 actions per generation?

You can't do no (0) actions without passing.

Games seem to be usually between 5 and 14 generations, fewer generations for more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
You shuffle the discards and make a new draw pile.

mfl134 wrote:
I'm mostly curious how the games are lasting that long.

It's fairly common at higher player counts and without the +1 starting production bonus.

but if you don't have the starting +1 production, you also add more cards to the deck to allow for more rounds. (though I know lots of the corporation cards give ways to draw cards, so that will have some impact on reducing the number of turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisada Ransibrahmanakul
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkapi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in my 4/5 players games (played around 10 times) we always in situation where cards ran out in very last generation (mostly on round 8/9) . We did make new draw pile from discard pile.

forget to mentioned that they all played in extended game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

You can't do no (0) actions without passing.

right, I mean Pass/1/2, as some misunderstand the rules, which is equivalent to 0/1/2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

I'm mostly curious how the games are lasting that long. When we played with 2 players, the game went 9 generations (Or 11 if we miscounted). But since the end conditions don't change by player count, I'd assume less rounds in games with more players.

It does, but maybe not quite as much as you're thinking. It is very common to need to reshuffle in a 5 player game. Without any additional card draw:

2 players for 11 generations: 2(10 + 4*(11-1)) = 100 cards
5 players for 7 generations: 5(10 + 4*(7-1)) = 170 cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
jeff0 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

It does, but maybe not quite as much as you're thinking. It is very common to need to reshuffle in a 5 player game. Without any additional card draw:

To be fair, that means it's quite unlikely to happen with the corporate era cards (208 total, or 209 with the promo).
Without them, I think you play with 152 cards, so that a reshuffle could reasonably come up with 4 or 5 players, especially if you add some card draw actions and the players use strategies that don't heavily rely on terraforming, though I am not sure how well that works with only the non-corporate era cards.
I would assume it's possible though, while many jovian and science tags are missing, all animal cards and most microbe cards are still available to durdle around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

I guess i'm surprised the 5 players only cuts the game by 4 generations, but I suppose that makes sense.

Are these games without +1 to starting production and without the corporate cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a 5 player (non-Corporate Era) game last only 5 generations, but I think 6-8 is probably the norm. The game accelerates from generation to generation (with the exception of 1->2) in terms of the amount of terraforming you can accomplish. In games with more generations (i.e. fewer players and/or Corporate Era), there is more time to be efficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

Are these games without +1 to starting production and without the corporate cards?

I thought starting without starting production only happened when you used corporate cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

Official answer: If the deck runs out, you reshuffle thediscard pile to form a new deck and continue play.

This will be clarified in future prints.
/Jacob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.