Popular Tags: [View All]
Cap'n Howdy
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be clear --

Is there a list out there somewhere that tells you what expansion you must be playing with to use character {x}?

Just so I'm not dumping all the characters together to take them to game night and not have the required expansion with me...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of a list, but there really aren't many characters that require their expansion to be used with them. They will mention the deck or tokens they need on their card if they do.

Some examples:
-Tavern Maid character requires the potion deck from the City
-Cat Burglar character can't use one of her abilities without the City expansion
-Dread Knight and Chivalric Knight both start with a card from the Stables deck from Sacred Pool (or the City)
-All characters from the Woodlands expansion have special tokens that go with them
-The Black Knight and the Barbarian start with a Purchase deck card from the Cataclysm expansion
-The Dragon Rider and Dragon Priestess don't require the Dragon expansion to be in play, but they will get a lot more use of their abilities if it is.

If you don't want to separate everything, you could just let people redraw a character if they get one you don't have parts for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, just to be clear, if you own any expansion, but just want to use its characters, you don't have to use the rest of the expansion. I believe all the characters work with the basic game. They may be more or less powerful than intended, but Talisman has enough randomness that it shouldn't matter too much. Like Aaron said, certain characters use components from their expansion, but that's all you need to play them.

Cheers!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selphil wrote:
Is there a list out there somewhere that tells you what expansion you must be playing with to use character {x}?

Every character card should have an Expansion Symbol on it, that should be easy enough.

But really...
Aarontu wrote:
there really aren't many characters that require their expansion to be used with them. They will mention the deck or tokens they need on their card if they do.

What he said.
With some (minor) exceptions, any character can be played with or without any other expansion.

Some quick fix ideas (so you don't have to go digging for 'that one card'):
-Chivalric Knight, probably fine as-is. Having a Riding Horse isn't super important.
-Dread Knight, this one is trickier, as a Warhorse is a big part of his power. Maybe +1 STR (or +2?) and a Sword from the Purchase Deck?
-Woodlands characters, just keep the Tokens in the same place you keep your Figures, and/or depending on how many active Woodlands characters are playing, just use Fate Tokens.
-The Black Knight, starts with a Shield from the purchase deck. You get a bonus 'threaten' when someone attacks you.
-Barbarian, starts with +1 STR, and/or a Sword from the purchase deck.
-The Dragon Rider, this one 'technically' works with the base game, but loses a lot of opportunities. Maybe allow a 2nd monster type to 'capture'?
-Dragon Priestess, probably fine as-is.
-Tavern Maid, this one is probably the most expansion-dependent. Not sure on a quick/easy Potion replacement given how random they are, and how many she starts with (and gives away).
-Cat Burglar, fine as-is (keep reading)

Aarontu wrote:
-Cat Burglar character can't use one of her abilities without the City expansion

Slight correction:
"Whenever you visit a card or space that allows you to buy an Object..."
Cat Burglar loses out on a lot of the better 'burgle opportunities' without the City, but can still filch things from The Village Blacksmith and any random Markets that may pop up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Lincoln
England
Westbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
selphil wrote:

Thanks!

Here you go:

4th/4th Revised Editions: Assassin,Druid,Dwarf,Elf,Ghoul,Minstrel,Monk,Priest,Prophetess,Sorceress,Thief,Troll,Warrior,Wizard (+4 Toads)
4th The Reaper: Dark Cultist,Knight,Merchant,Sage (+Grim Reaper)
4th The Dungeon: Amazon,Gladiator,Gypsy,Philosopher,Swashbuckler
4th The Frostmarch: Leprechaun,Necromancer,Ogre Chieftain,Warlock
4th The Highland: Alchemist,Highlander,Rogue,Sprite,Valkyrie,Vampiress
4th The Sacred Pool: Cleric,Chivalric Knight,Dread Knight,Magus
4th The Dragon: Conjurer,Dragon Hunter,Dragon Priestess,Dragon Rider,Fire Wizard,Minotaur
4th The Blood Moon: Doomsayer,Grave Robber,Vampire Hunter (+Werewolf)
4th The City: Bounty Hunter,Cat Burglar,Elementalist,Spy,Tavern Maid,Tinkerer
4th The Nether Realm: None
4th The Firelands: Dervish,Jin Blooded,Nomad,Warlord
4th The Woodland: Ancient Oak,Leywalker,Scout,Spider Queen,Totem Warrior
4th The Deep Realms: None
4th The Harbinger: Ascendant Divine,Celestial,Possessed (+Harbinger)
4th The Cataclysm: Arcane Scion,Barbarian,Black Knight,Mutant,Scavenger

Is that what you were looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's what selphil is looking for. That's just a list of which expansions all of the characters came from. He wants a list of which characters should only play in games where their expansion is being used.

For example, the Spy came from The City expansion, but even if you're not using The City, the Spy would still be a fine character to use. However, if you're not using The City, you probably wouldn't want to be the Cat Burglar since one of her special abilities is extra useful at the shops in the City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selphil wrote:
Let me be clear --

Just so I'm not dumping all the characters together to take them to game night and not have the required expansion with me...

Thanks!

In my own vast experience with the characters, I will claim that no character specifically requires a given xpac be used. No character has xpac-specific text or abilities.

The only exception to that claim would be a few of the Dragon characters; specifically, the Dragon Rider, Dragon Priestess, and Dragon Hunter. Those three might be at somewhat of a disadvantage without their parent xpac given they all have abilities that rely on "dragon" enemies being present.

Still, it IS possible to thrive with them given there are actually a fair amount of dragons present in the main adventure deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.