Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drive to the Volga AAR, first three turns of Monday, September 14

When planning today’s action, I divided the day into three segments, and the first is over: we have come to the end of turn 3. In terms of victory conditions, things are close. I have inflicted 24 CVP on the Russians, 34 if prisoners count double, almost all of those being conscripts. In return, I have lost 12 CVP, so for the moment I am fulfilling the scenario victory conditions, for whatever that is worth. I lost a 9-1 leader to his sniper, and an entire platoon was wiped out in close combat: I was going to crack the upper rail station, and jumped into CC with 2.5 squads against an NKVD squad, partially concealed for the ambush, which I got, declared hand-to-hand, needed a 9, got a 10, and was prompted destroyed. Another squad was attacked by a conscript and destroyed in CC, much to their shame! Apart from that, casualties have been light, mostly half-squads here and there.

In the north, my plan was to inch a company east and a bit north, clearing out the pickets, but not activating the Russian reserves; just getting into a good jumping-off point for when the northern reinforcements arrive. Those reinforcements have not yet arrived, as all of my reinforcements rolls have been either 1s and 2s (for Stukas—I’ve had one Stuka in three turns, and it failed its sighting task check) or 6s (for reinforcement arrival).

I’ve cleared out the planned area, although I also diverted the bulk of this company south to the northern railway station, where they are linking up with elements of the middle company and assaulting it. The ill-fated platoon was lost in CC as a part of this assault, but I think I will hold the rail station in a couple of turns. By then, the offboard reinforcements should have arrived, and I can hit the buildings west of Communisticheskaya simultaneously from the south and the west.

In the center, the goal was to clear out most of the railyards with my middle company. This has gone off more-or-less without a hitch, and they are currently moving on the northern rail station, although the assault troops I had attached to this company have split off south against the Stalingrad-1 rail station.

In the south, the goal was to creep around the southwestern corner of the Stalingrad-1 Station, while keeping an eye out for the opportunity to seize the station itself. Oozing around the corner of the station has been successful. I had planned to cover this attack with lots of smoke. That never materialized, as apparently everybody left their smoke rounds at home this morning. I have not managed to lay smoke once, and not from lack of trying. However, I haven’t needed much smoke, as the Russians have not put up much resistance, mainly choosing to maintain concealment.

However, the flame that sprung up in the morning bombardment is now a blaze, and has sent a very convenient line of dispersed smoke that separates Stalingrad-1 from the bulk of the Russian forces. I am currently taking advantage of this to move more freely against the southern half of the station with my pioneers. The pioneers’ first assault will be next turn.

If I haven’t mentioned anything but infantry, that’s for a reason, as there has been almost no action from anything else. I have already mentioned by inability to get air support or smoke cover, and for the most part, my armor has been idling in the vain hope that infantry would clear the roadblocks hemming them in to the north and the south. It is becoming increasing clear that this is not going to happen, and so my assault guns have started up and will try to knock over the roadblocks next turn.

So far, I haven’t moved very far in any direction from my starting point, so I haven’t discovered much about the Russian setup. I have found a bunch of mines, enough that I know he spent 1CPP on fortifications this morning, but the other 18 CPP are still unaccounted for. Hopefully I’ll start to figure that out as I begin activating reserves over the course of the next few turns.

Click here for the next installment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zadiraka
United States
Holland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

Is this Valor of the Guards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boylermaker wrote:
I have inflicted 24 CVP on the Russians, 34 if prisoners count double, almost all of those being conscripts.

That's a surprising number of prisoners for a Stalingrad HASL. Have you been deliberately making capture attempts in CC? Remember that neither side will surrender to the other: No Quarter is always in effect (V.3 VotG13). Other than that, as far as I can tell prisoners are worth double CVP as normal (but remember that the "extra" CVP for being captured are only awarded at the end of the scenario).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indeed Valor of the Guards.

Regarding prisoners, I have indeed been taking them all in close combat. My thinking is that the -1 CC DRM for trying to capture conscripts makes it a quicker and easier way to eliminate them than by trying to triple-break them or surround them in this high-MF terrain. So far, almost all that I've seen is conscripts: my brother is keeping his tougher units further back, and I've been moving a bit slowly, so I haven't pushed into them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boylermaker wrote:
It is indeed Valor of the Guards.

Regarding prisoners, I have indeed been taking them all in close combat. My thinking is that the -1 CC DRM for trying to capture conscripts makes it a quicker and easier way to eliminate them than by trying to triple-break them or surround them in this high-MF terrain. So far, almost all that I've seen is conscripts: my brother is keeping his tougher units further back, and I've been moving a bit slowly, so I haven't pushed into them yet.

Yeah, it's been a (surprisingly) long time since my last RB CG and we've never gotten around to a VotG CG, but I seem to remember that was the one great drawback of the conscript RGs. Put them in a factory in RB and the fanatic bonus made them a real threat. But we eventually realized they were vulnerable in CC because of the penalty, and changed our tactics to match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.