Hide
8 Posts

Above and Below» Forums » General

Subject: More Games Like This One? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marina Freeman
msg tools
This is the first game of its kind my family has played and we really liked it. It was also the perfect difficulty level for us. Any suggestions of similar types of games with similar difficulty level? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
You really need to be more specific about what you liked. A&B blends city building with a story telling which are quite different genres. In that respect, there really isn't any other game that does what A&B does. For city building, you might look at Lords of Waterdeep - its about the same level of complexity but lacks the adventure/storytelling aspect. For storytelling you might look at Tales of the Arabian Nights, although it doesn't have the city building and, honestly, lacks some strategic elements. Mice & Mystics might be another game to look at. It blends storytelling with RPG tactical combat and tends to go over well with families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you might want to check Ryan's new game called Islebound which is available now, and definitely keep your eyes peeled for his next game Near and Far coming out in May next year. For lighter family adventure games with cute characters, try Mice and Mystics hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend checking out Ryan Laukat's other games, especially City of Iron: Second Edition, Islebound and The Ancient World. Also, look out for Above & Below's sequel, Near and Far, coming out next year. Red Raven Games is one of my favorite publishers, keep an eye on anything they put out if A&B is in your wheelhouse.

If it's the stories that you liked, check out Tales of the Arabian Nights and Agents of SMERSH. They're both very light on gameplay and heavy on story, but immensely fun.

If you liked the village building, check out Imperial Settlers or Dice City. They each play very differently, but they both allow you to build your own cities and civilizations without complex gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina Freeman
msg tools
How does the level of difficulty in City of Iron compare with difficulty of Above and Below?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fowle
United States
Walpole
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marina1101 wrote:
How does the level of difficulty in City of Iron compare with difficulty of Above and Below?

City of Iron is one of my favorite games, but it is more difficult then Above and below. I usually have a bit of smoke coming out of my ears by the end of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fowle
United States
Walpole
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Concordia. It's about the same difficulty and has some really nice mechanics. It doesn't have the store element though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marina1101 wrote:

While being one of Ryan's best designs, it's also his most complex. It's still a medium weight game, but it may be a bit too involved for younger or less experienced gamers to enjoy. The deck building element is fantastic, but it can lead to overload for some.

The Ancient World is an easy game to grasp and I recommend it as an entry-level game. It plays incredibly smooth through a worker placement mechanic and allows you to build a city and its related defenses to take on titans that threaten the peace. The smooth mechanics hide some very strategic decision-making though, so it's appropriate for gamers of all ages and experience level.

Ryan has a couple smaller games that are fun as well. Check out Eight-Minute Empire: Legends and Artifacts, Inc. for a fun time with area control and dice placement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.