Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating:

http://www.wdrb.com/story/33374544/oregon-bakery-shop-accuse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Can't believe a black person wouldn't understand how calling that cupcake Mr. President (Oreo -- Obama is black/white, so he's an Oreo)could be construed as racist.

Sounds delish though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

The Intern, followed by Mr. President? Seems like saavy marketing in our modern times.

And are you really surprised jackwads on Yelp jump to conclusions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yelp reviews are news now?

Goddamn, Portland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

remorseless1 wrote:
Can't believe a black person wouldn't understand how calling that cupcake Mr. President (Oreo -- Obama is black/white, so he's an Oreo)could be construed as racist.

Sounds delish though.

Actually, "Oreo" is a disparaging and offensive term for a black person who is regarded to have adopted the attitudes, values, and behavior thought to be characteristic of middle-class white society, often at the expense of his or her own heritage (i.e. forsaking his own African-American community).

In the present news story, the racist intent is obvious since Barak Obama is biracial (having an African American father and white mother).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
They should have put a bird on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

remorseless1 wrote:

Sounds delish though.

Actually, "Oreo" is a disparaging and offensive term for a black person who is regarded to have adopted the attitudes, values, and behavior thought to be characteristic of middle-class white society, often at the expense of his or her own heritage (i.e. forsaking his own African-American community).

In the present news story, the racist intent is obvious since Barak Obama is biracial (having an African American father and white mother).

The Okie wouldn't understand, but it is nice that you explained it.

Having dated mixed race women - black/white, that term was thrown around to cut them down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

remorseless1 wrote:

Sounds delish though.

I've generally heard that explained as 'maybe black on the outside, but white on the inside'.

And, yeah, meant as disparaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Sounds delish though.

TFA specifically says they called it that because he likes Oreos.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm!
mbmbmbmbmb
or made it a pie, then when trumps president he would have had his sticky fingers in it asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are confusing these with the "Obama cupcakes" which are delivered by drone and only cost a dollar, but somehow mange to triple your debt when eaten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
People are confusing these with the "Obama cupcakes" which are delivered by drone and only cost a dollar, but somehow mange to triple your debt when eaten.
Yeah, but at least you get to keep your baker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a description of the Intern cupcake and I find it rude of the reporter to mention it and not describe it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

MWChapel wrote:

Warning: The term "Blackbird" was slang for slaves and slave ships (possibly during the era when importing slaves was first outlawed in the U.S.) and that "Blackbirding" was a common term in Australia and New Zealand that referred to the recruitment of indigenous peoples through trickery and kidnappings to bring them back to work on their plantations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

MWChapel wrote:

Warning: The term "Blackbird" was slang for slaves and slave ships (possibly during the era when importing slaves was first outlawed in the U.S.) and that "Blackbirding" was a common term in Australia and New Zealand that referred to the recruitment of indigenous peoples through trickery and kidnappings to bring them back to work on their plantations.

*sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Apparently people didn't read Ilthuain's post, this is a story about negative yelp! reviews

Didn't South Park do a whole episode on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

MWChapel wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

*sigh*

Spare me your sighs when you fail to be forthcoming enough to clarify your intent much less cite obscure references to programs that are not well ingrained into most of our collective TV-viewing conscience as to make it an iconic saying (which, I note, did not come up in my research of the term).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She changed the name of the cupcake without putting up a fuss. Sounds pretty sensible to me (to make name changes if the customers object). So all is OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

bob_santafe wrote:
She changed the name of the cupcake without putting up a fuss. Sounds pretty sensible to me (to make name changes if the customers object). So all is OK.

No, it's NOT okay if she failed to acknowledge that she'd done wrong and offered a heartfelt apology while affirming that she would not repeat the offense ever again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
^ Says the guy who has repeatedly called black people "Uncle Toms" if he doesn't approve of their views.

Say, Shreve, that reminds me. I have a neighbor who believes that ancient aliens are the origins of humans on earth, just like you! I guess he'd be a black person you approve of.

Drew expert in race relations, ace herpetologist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
darthhugo wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

remorseless1 wrote:

Sounds delish though.

Having dated mixed race women - black/white, that term was thrown around to cut them down.

Actually, this Okie dated several ladies of the African-American persuasion, and I heard Oreo used in both ways - black on outside, white on the inside, or mixed black and white. Just like Native Americans call their fellow NAs "apples" if they get too white -- red on the outside, white on the inside.

We're not all Confederate-flag waving, white sheet wearing cross burners down here, Darth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

remorseless1 wrote:

Sounds delish though.

Actually, this Okie dated several ladies of the African-American persuasion, and I heard Oreo used in both ways - black on outside, white on the inside, or mixed black and white. Just like Native Americans call their fellow NAs "apples" if they get too white -- red on the outside, white on the inside.

We're not all Confederate-flag waving, white sheet wearing cross burners down here, Darth.

My apologies, congrats on mixing it up.

FWIW, the casters of Oreo were all white men and women, but I'm sure as shit that non-Mulatto blacks use it disparagingly against mixed race blacks. Its all just a them, not us theme repeated.

I call fellow crackers whitebred, cracker, and slack-jawed yokel all the time... but only if they act like a whitebred, cracker, or slack-jawed yokel.... ie Iggnernt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
^ Says the guy who has repeatedly called black people "Uncle Toms" if he doesn't approve of their views.

Say, Shreve, that reminds me. I have a neighbor who believes that ancient aliens are the origins of humans on earth, just like you! I guess he'd be a black person you approve of.

Drew expert in race relations, ace herpetologist.

The only race that Drewber knows of is the one where white dudes drive round and round in circles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

MWChapel wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

*sigh*

Spare me your sighs when you fail to be forthcoming enough to clarify your intent much less cite obscure references to programs that are not well ingrained into most of our collective TV-viewing conscience as to make it an iconic saying (which, I note, did not come up in my research of the term).

Spare us your jumping to conclusions and failing to grasp the humorous reference. That wasn't even that obscure.

Thanks for the laugh, Chapel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, THEN put a Nilla wafer into an Orange cupcake and we'll call this "TRUMP Event Stupendit", yes, a horrid notion and taste to match!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.