Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Help me out on this, what ways or board sets up let you counter that opening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trainer opening. Other startings are too dependent on board to describe blind for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aljon Vizewsky
Slovenia
flag msg tools
Well, the obvious answer is the trainer. If you choose the RG, you're going for the milestones, but with the trainer you can get to the key employees first and in the low player games you are the only one with that employee. Then, with strategical play you can make some of those milestones ineffective.

The other obvious answer is another RG, so you compete for milestones.

I usually play with RG, I'll choose trainer if a lot of other players chose RG.

I don't open with anyone else, maybe somebody else will be able to tell you about other employees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2-player game I'm not convinced a good Trainer player will ever beat a good RG player. I believe that on all but the most unusual boards RG is correct in 2-player.

I don't have enough experience in multiplayer games to comment there though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
Help me out on this, what ways or board sets up let you counter that opening?

Take RG yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Glimme
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have heard of people going errand boy or marketeer. These are both niche openings dependent on very specific board setups and positions (which I have not tried).

In general Recruiting Girl is the standard opening. While this may feel somewhat scripted, I have departed from that on turn two and not picked up the second recruiting girl and gone for two milestones and passed on RG milestone.

In Food Chain it is best to stay with the pack until you think you can do better than what everyone else appears to be doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aljon Vizewsky
Slovenia
flag msg tools
Maghd wrote:
In a 2-player game I'm not convinced a good Trainer player will ever beat a good RG player. I believe that on all but the most unusual boards RG is correct in 2-player.

I don't have enough experience in multiplayer games to comment there though.

Go to Boardgamecore and play with Ottimo Massimo. See how that works out for ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skywide wrote:
Go to Boardgamecore and play with Ottimo Massimo. See how that works out for ya.

Then ask
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to play with this guy.
First to pay 20$ is way stronger than a Trainer opening once you know how to properly use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the kind words Thibaut!

I've never played 2p, and most of my plays have been with 4.

While I've seen the Trainer opening be successful, I always open with RG as I view the force multiplier to your infrastructure from higher recruiting capacity right away as more valuable than the benefit of the First to Train milestone. These days I usually get both as almost everyone else opens with RG too, but if someone else opens with T then going for First to Pay 20 in Salaries is a strong countermeasure.

Here is a game where I got First to Pay 20 in Salaries on turn 5, which is BTW the earliest that someone can use a Guru:

http://play.boardgamecore.net/fcm/2868

Usually I get it on turn 6:

http://play.boardgamecore.net/fcm/12570

http://play.boardgamecore.net/fcm/11833

http://play.boardgamecore.net/fcm/6130

In those games I got 8-10 other milestones before First to Pay 20 in Salaries, while player that opens with T->Guru gets First to Train and almost nothing else. It seems to me that the RG->First to Pay 20 in Salaries player has a much stronger position.

It's clear to me that Guru is grossly overvalued on these forums and by inexperienced players generally, the main reason being that with less efficient play the Guru has more time to do its thing. Stronger players get things going much quicker, which puts the player that went T->Guru in a much more precarious position. I seldom go for Guru, often opting for Coach instead when I open with RG RG T.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
if someone else opens with T then going for First to Pay 20 in Salaries is a strong countermeasure

I don't think that "countermeasure" is a proper word. It may imply that you are hurting or delaying your strategy or growth to specifically counter the Trainer.
The First to pay 20$ milestone is almost always good for your plans anyway, even when rushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
verandi wrote:
if someone else opens with T then going for First to Pay 20 in Salaries is a strong countermeasure

I don't think that "countermeasure" is a proper word. It may imply that you are hurting or delaying your strategy or growth to specifically counter the Trainer.

Agreed, I meant "countermeasure" in the sense of matching (or exceeding) the training capacity of the T->Guru opening, therefore neutralizing most of his advantage. From there the only persistent advantage of the T->Guru opening is the $15 discount in salaries from First to Train, which hardly compensates for missing out on most other early game milestones.

Now, the RG->First to Pay 20 in Salaries opening does have vulnerabilities- being the first to pay 20 in salaries isn't trivial and requires some early sales, which can get tricky if competition heats up early. If you miss out on the milestone then you're likely screwed if the game goes long. Also, you'll need a lot of management capacity to bring all those trainers to work; I usually go straight for the Executive VP but he's a 1x card so you can miss out, which hampers the strategy a bit.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of recent experience with First to pay 20 in Salaries, as nowadays almost everyone hires RG turn 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
flag msg tools
mb
I think trainer in larger games relies at least somewhat on your opponents doing a good job of competing with each other, which slows them down both in terms of how many milestones they can get and in how fast they can actually make the money required to get/sustain the first-to-pay-$20 milestone.

This means that trainer first is substantially better in games where everyone is reasonably experienced and of a roughly equal skill level than it is in games where the level of play is highly varied.

My experience on boardgamecore is that 4p games often end up being effectively 3p games but with two of all of the 1x employees, which means that being early to train is much less of an advantage than it might otherwise be.

In 2p games I think a trainer is viable mostly because it guarantees you the brand director (if the other person went RG), and the brand director is really strong especially in 2p. The player without it is forced to spend much of the flexibility they've gained by going RG first to ensure that the player who's gotten the brand director can't just win off of an early radio+luxury manager, and by the time you get past that phase of the game the trainer-first player may have the advantage, especially because they're not needing to pay $30-40 in salaries every turn just to stay competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
basicio wrote:
In 2p games I think a trainer is viable mostly because it guarantees you the brand director (if the other person went RG), and the brand director is really strong especially in 2p.

Is this definitely the case? I've been looking at trying to counter the Trainer to Guru to Brand Director strategy in a 2 player game, and I came to the conclusion that if Player 1 plays Trainer and races for Guru and Player 2 plays Recruiting Girl and races for Brand Director then Player 2 gets the Brand Director first. I'm probably wrong, but right now I can't see how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Corti
Italy
Lecco
LC
flag msg tools
Rumplesink wrote:
basicio wrote:
In 2p games I think a trainer is viable mostly because it guarantees you the brand director (if the other person went RG), and the brand director is really strong especially in 2p.

Is this definitely the case? I've been looking at trying to counter the Trainer to Guru to Brand Director strategy in a 2 player game, and I came to the conclusion that if Player 1 plays Trainer and races for Guru and Player 2 plays Recruiting Girl and races for Brand Director then Player 2 gets the Brand Director first. I'm probably wrong, but right now I can't see how.

Well if you start training your mt from turn 2 or 3 it is done. For my experience 2p games end when one player controls demand with the brand director. Seriously, i haven't found a counter measure yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McGregor
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I can't remember the last time I lost to a trainer opening in 2P and I have played around 100 2 player games. Pretty much no matter the board it is very easy to cover any opening that trainer could do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.