Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Buckland
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to select a tunnel hex when the certificate is purchased?

Is this what the tunnel tokens are for?

Are both player and corporation money public?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In every 18xx I have ever played, all money is open information. In fact all player and company holdings and money are open information. This is true of 1844/54.

In 1844 the player purchases a tunnel. The tunnel is placed on a hex during a company OR turn. I believe placement of the tunnel costs the company 100. I don't have the rules in front of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilio Moncho
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephe Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some, mostly older, 18xx games where some holdings and/or the amount of some transactions need not be revealed. That's according to the rule book--for pretty much any form of distance play you pretty much have to have everything open, and most groups mandate open holdings for face-to-face games even when the rules say otherwise. (When using poker chips, visual inspection should reveal all anyway.)

In the case of 1844, the first edition rules state that holdings are open. The new edition is likely the same, but I don't have a copy to hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
uncalled1st wrote:

I place the tunnel tokens on the tunnel once I put the tunnel on the board. As soon as any company runs though the tunnel, I remove the token from the board and place it on the tunnel company card. This allows you to track which tunnels have been used so you know if the tunnel card pays the owner each round.

I do the same thing with the mountain companies.

I've no idea if that is what the intended purpose of the tokens are as I didn't see that addressed anywhere in the rules, but it seemed like a good use of them to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hinko van der Boom
Netherlands
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
I leave the tunnel and Mountain tokens on the hex. If a train visit tunnel or mountain I flip the certificate, on the backside is mentioned the earnings for each consecutive OR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hinko van der Boom
Netherlands
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
sfox wrote:
uncalled1st wrote:

I place the tunnel tokens on the tunnel once I put the tunnel on the board. As soon as any company runs though the tunnel, I remove the token from the board and place it on the tunnel company card. This allows you to track which tunnels have been used so you know if the tunnel card pays the owner each round.

I do the same thing with the mountain companies.

I've no idea if that is what the intended purpose of the tokens are as I didn't see that addressed anywhere in the rules, but it seemed like a good use of them to me.

I use the tokens on the board, so I can see which tunnel or Mountain company belongs to which player. If a train runs through a tunnel or starts / end at the mountain I flip the certificate. At the backend you see the revenue. So at the start of each operating round this revenue is payed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.