Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing the Avalon Hill version of the game with my wife (two colors each). In round 5, I got the Sung Dynasty card. I had control of China and Southeast Asia with two ships already in the South China Sea. That is the only sea the Sung dynasty can build its mandatory fleet in. The rules specify that the build point is lost if the sea cannot be reached, but that was not the case here. My wife and I played it that the build point was therefore not lost. Is there an official ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I don't have the rules in front of me now, but i think you still must built the fleet, or lose the build point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think one could have more than two fleets in the same sea or ocean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. I forget this rule. But in this case i think is prioritary the last sentence of rule 5.42: Mandatory fleet builds: if you can't built the fleet you lost the built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhora12 wrote:
You're right. I forget this rule. But in this case i think is prioritary the last sentence of rule 5.42: Mandatory fleet builds: if you can't built the fleet you lost the built.

Except that's not what it says. It says if you can't build because you can't get to that sea. It doesn't say or if the sea has two fleets already. I deplore rules lawyering but this seems to be specifically excluded by the wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But, maybe, in any case you can't reach the specific sea.
Let's assume the following: Actually you built a Sung Fleet. You attack the past fleet in the South China Seas, with the same color. In any case the fleet (Sung or the older) will survive, but there is not change of color or control because both are own by you. Ths Sung has constructed a fleet and the stacking limit is respected...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't reach a sea I'm adjacent to? One I would have reached and built in had it been empty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And a combination of rule 5.42 and 8.25?. And again 5.42 "if unable to reach a navigable Sea/Ocean during its turn, it forfeits one build". In your example you're unable to reach a sea allowed to the Sung to avoid overstacking. But you can attack your own fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhora12 wrote:
And a combination of rule 5.42 and 8.25?. And again 5.42 "if unable to reach a navigable Sea/Ocean during its turn, it forfeits one build". In your example you're unable to reach a sea allowed to the Sung to avoid overstacking. But you can attack your own fleet.

That's giving the phrase "unable to reach" an entirely new meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
rhora12 wrote:

That's giving the phrase "unable to reach" an entirely new meaning.

Look, I understand you think it goes that way, and that's fine. I don't think the simple wording does, not by a long shot. It's not even an ambiguous quibble. That's why I asked if there's an official ruling to go by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I didn't think one could have more than two fleets in the same sea or ocean.
You can't and you won't because when you build the mandatory fleet in the South China Sea, it will replace the one you already have there from a previous epoch. Just as you automatically roll over land units of your colour if you attack it with your current faction. Granted you try not to have to do that in the land case but here you must expend the point on a fleet build if you can (and you can in your example), or lose the build point. Another reason why you try not to have overlapping dynasties (and why your opponents will try to stick you with one if they can).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.