Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about ordering soon but curious if I should just go with the base game for now or also pick up Outer Planets? I'll mostly be playing solo and I'm fairly new to the solo scene so this is a trial run. I've been gaming for a long time now but recently moved for a job that consumes a lot of my time so I've started trying solo experiences when I can. Any opinions are welcome. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chad. I went for the original version and am happy with that decision so far. There's plenty to learn and enjoy to start and I'm grateful for not having the the expansion, which would just make it too complicated with my little brain! However, once I master the game, I'll definitely get the upgrade at some point. It's an amazing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Honestly, I don't think being new to solo gaming should have anything to do with your question. This is not a typical solo experience, so having experience playing solo games doesn't give you a "leg up", nor does a lack of solo experience mean that the game is going to be any more difficult.

IMHO, the answer to your question should be based on your interest in the subject and on your capacity to play the mechanics of this game. Again, the mechanics of this game are very unique so gaming experience of any kind really isn't an advantage. (Though having gaming experience only from the perspective of reading rulebooks could be helpful).

So, are you interested in the subject? As far as I'm concerned, your answer to this question is the primary consideration.
And, are you good with the concepts and mechanics used in this game? Watching a few of the play-through videos should provide you with enough information to base your answer on.

Here's my conclusion, based on your reply to these questions:
Are you interested in the subject, and do feel comfortable with the mechanics (regardless of your experience)?

"Yes, I'm very much interested in the theme, and yes, I'm good with the mechanics as well.": Get everything.
"Yes, but I find the subject matter only somewhat interesting. Though I find the mechanics to be very interesting, regardless": Buy the base game and see how it goes.
"Yes, I'm very much interested in the theme, but I'm not sure about the mechanics... all that planning and math isn't exactly my cup of tea.": Buy the base game and see how it goes.

If your answers are generally any other than the above, then you have some thinking to do. I'd suggest watching a few play-thrus and take some time to make up your mind. For the price, the game is a great value for those who like it. But if you realize it's "not your thing" after a few plays, then you're faced with having to sell it. Given that it's a niche game which is still in publication, selling it at a good return for you would be a challenge.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the solo experience, and played the base game the first year it was out because that's all there is. It was a very fun experience.

The day the expansion was available for pre-order, I purchased it, and now that I have both, I'll probably always play both. I'd recommend you get both, but stick to the base game until you're ready for more complexity. I'd want the expansion on the shelf waiting for me, and you can save on shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought the base game recently and I have to agree with those who have said that if you are at all interested in the subject, you should buy the game. It is worth every penny, and I will be playing it for a very long time. I am a solitaire-only player. I will probably buy the expansion as my Christmas gift for myself. Or maybe my sweet wife will buy it for me.

The math takes some getting used to, but I try to role play it and treat the calculations as a simulation of the massive amount of intellectual effort that goes into preparing for a real-life space mission. Having a calculator next to me while I play helps. I spend a fair amount of time planning my missions, and then when I have a success I feel a real sense of accomplishment.

Last night while playing through 1962 I sent Gagarin into orbit and brought him back safely, even though I had not done much testing beforehand. It was a risk, but the gamble paid off. Sometimes they don't--in a previous game I lost two cosmonauts.

Tonight while watching World Series Game 1 and the Cavaliers vs Knicks basketball game (I live in Cleveland, Ohio), I planned and completed a Lunar Survey mission. It was great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.