BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Smallworld or Sentinels of the Multiverse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! I'm looking a game to play with my girlfriend and occasionally with her brother..
Since we like Pandemic so much, I decided to buy Flash Point and other game.. But I can't decide between this 2! Any recommendation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem so different to me. Perhaps you can tell us more about what you are looking for in a game in order to answer the question...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in my experience, small world is not a great game for 2, but a real joy if you're more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! Okay, my girlfriend likes the co-ops so Sentinels seems like a good choice to me.. But we live in Paraguay, so maybe a game with less lenguage dependence would be a better choice for us and we can show it to more friends.. I'm open to more suggestions.. I already own KoT, TTR, Machi Koro, Sheriff of Nothinghan.. my wish list is In no particular order
1) Flash Point
2) Sentinels of the Multiverse
3) Stone Age
4) 7 Wonders
5) King of New York
6) Pandemic: In the Lab
7) Smallworld
8) Suburbia
9) Quadropolis
10) Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankJose
(forgive the lack of é)

Get the game that's most likely to get played.

Why not just go for Flash Point: Fire Rescue right now?
(I swear I can read.)

I'd go for Stone Age... if you can regularly get more and your partner doesn't mind the conflict element Small World is worth a closer look.

You might want to list and rate your collection and create a wishlist on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you! You are right, I don't have any area control game and Stone Age it's out of print.. So I think I will go for Smallworld!
I'm going to make my list, thanks for the advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiago92 wrote:
Hi! Okay, my girlfriend likes the co-ops so Sentinels seems like a good choice to me.. But we live in Paraguay, so maybe a game with less lenguage dependence would be a better choice for us and we can show it to more friends.. I'm open to more suggestions.. I already own KoT, TTR, Machi Koro, Sheriff of Nothinghan.. my wish list is In no particular order
1) Flash Point
2) Sentinels of the Multiverse
3) Stone Age
4) 7 Wonders
5) King of New York
6) Pandemic: In the Lab
7) Smallworld
8) Suburbia
9) Quadropolis
10) Dominion

Of your list, 7 Wonders probably has the least language dependence. The cards are driven almost exclusively by icons, with all explanation coming from the rulebook, not card text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
also, welcome to the community. Here, have some GeekGold - enjoy some microbadges or an avatar, whatever you like :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you very much! I will have all.. eventually
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:
Of your list, 7 Wonders probably has the least language dependence. The cards are driven almost exclusively by icons, with all explanation coming from the rulebook, not card text.

Flash Point I don't think has any in game text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
BenjaminHester wrote:

Flash Point I don't think has any in game text.

OP already has Flash Point on the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I scanned down and saw it was on their wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mbe'chapa!

I realize now that it is 15 years ago I was in Paraguay!

Where do you procure games from? Do you have crazy import duties like Brazil (seriously out of control!)

I really like the stories that come out of Sentinels of the multiverse. Each of the villains plays very differently and the environment decks have personalities too. I really like how each of the player decks have a defining attribute. If it is Tachyon there are reasons to play cards fast to build up burst damage strikes. Some of the more recent characters feel like complexity for complexity sake. I think it is a great game but it has a lot of numbers to keep track of so some might find the bookkeeping off putting.

If you can I would recommend the Sentinels of the multiverse videogame (Steam, iOS, or google play). there is a limited learn to play version on mobile app stores that would allow you to at least try before you buy to see if there will be language issues, or if this is something you can get behind. http://sentinelsdigital.com/learntoplay/#download

I have only played smallworld a time or two and while it did not stand out for me it may for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

Thats great! Let me know if you ever come back jajaja

I buy my games from Amazon or Coolstuffinc and pay 17$ per kilo to bring it to Paraguay. For Flash Point I would pay 17 plus, Smallworld 34, and so for. It's expensive!

I would try the app, thanks for the tip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love Sentinels of the Multiverse, it's not a game that I can typically recommend knowing that it will mostly be played 2 player, particularly for inexperienced gamers. It's a very "fiddly" game (lots of constantly changing things to keep track of), and in order to play the game with 2 players, at least one of you needs to play multiple heroes, adding to the amount of things to keep track of. Also, the game is much harder for 2-3 players than it is for 4-5, which could lead to a frustrating experience. Pandemic and Flash Point are much better balanced for 2 players.

Based on your wishlist, I'd say get Stone Age, Suburbia, and Dominion. All 3 games are fantastic with 2-3 players. I have not played Quadropolis, so I cannot make an informed opinion about that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the expense involved, I would recommend buying everything available in app form as an app first. Only buy the real thing after you know you'll like it. Stone Age, Small World, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Pandemic, Suburbia, and Dominion are already available as apps. 7 Wonders is supposed to be coming soon, although it has been that way for a very long time.

For the non-app games, King of New York was a dud for a lot of my friends. It takes longer and is a lot more fiddly, so we just stick to the original King of Tokyo. I haven't played Quadropolis, so am no help there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like SoM much better then Smallworld, but neither shine at 2. SoM is playable at 2, but lacks some of the charm of 3, which is my favorite player count. There are so many conbos though, especially if you pick up an expansion, I think it is so much more replayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincennes Faronto
Indonesia
palembang
flag msg tools
Wow thats expensive amigo.
But i feel you i live in Indonesia and its kind of the same situation here too.
Try some games at boardgamearena.Com too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jalapena wrote:
Wow thats expensive amigo.
But i feel you i live in Indonesia and its kind of the same situation here too.
Try some games at boardgamearena.Com too

Another place to consider it bookdepository.com they sometimes have some games in stock, and even getting close to MSRP with free shipping may beat some of the prices you might pay elsewhere. I am not sure how active this geeklist is but here is a link to some of the things they have had in the past. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71514/buying-board-games-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.