Popular Tags: [View All]
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of you are lucky enough to have a regular opponent who puts up with your foibles, idiosyncrasies,brain farts, analysis paralysis, whining over dice rolls and general goings on across the table? I do--and that's what this thread is all about--showing appreciation for "the enemy" on the other side of the table who is actually a true friend for putting up with all the things that make you "wonderful." I'll start with my , ever patient, brother-in-law
ken maxwell
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
mb

Though he'd rather be commanding his miniatures on a far off field of battle, he has never once refused a game I've place in front of him. Now that he's officially retired from the AIR FORCE,we've been able to re-establish a two-decade old tradition of regular face-to-face sessions.

Ken is a very bright guy with a gift for seeing the big picture in an operational game, or the subtle nuances of a tactical fight. A quick study with a gift for numbers, he is also a keen competitor who fights to the last man, but with honesty, integrity, and an appreciation for the absurd making the hours pass seamlessly during our contests over the years. Believe me, his patience has been tested--case in point, a recent game of HF RUSSIA took seven hours, due mostly to my constant mulling. I'm not exaggerating, folks!

So, here's to you, Ken--
and good luck when next we meet, but then again, not TOO much luck.
I'll need it--because if our games were based purely on skill, when would I have a chance to win?cool

Now, who puts up with your CRAP ?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To my former regular FTF opponent,
mike clark
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
, I salute your willingness to coach me through many, many sessions of La Battaille.

Real Life has intervened, but I miss our weekly sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fortunate enough to have several opponents, all of them brilliant, socially skilled, and fun people I consider good friends. One of the few good things about getting older is having retired friends with more free time, not to mention you being in the same boat. I would never have tackled ASL without being in that situation.

Also a big shoutout to Rob Bottos, whose con in Vancouver BC I'll be attending in a few weeks. And to all of the other great people I've played at cons over the years, there have been very few bad apples (can I say that without getting flagged?).

Thanks to all of you, you are appreciated and loved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
cool For myself, then plenty of the folks from BGG when we played on BSW, while not many did PLAY through using a TALK-app for A&A also, or yet "email" with Fortress America. Why, even Octavian sat in with us as we played the "Expansion Pack"-version in 2004 via TALK-Chat, using our own boards of the participants involved:

Terri
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mb
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to laud three people actually.

First my old friend Thad. We played a lot of games FTF at first but when he moved away we did play over IM and then via Skype. He always handled my wild mood swings well devil and when we did get together FTF we always had a blast. The Co-op Carrier game comes to mind. He is gone now, but not forgotten soblue

Second is my buddy JJ from college who I got in touch with again after a long time and we play mainly via FaceTime. I am currently editing a huge session report on a Red Dragon/Green Crescent game that we recently finished.

Finally there is my lovely wife. She handles all my crazy die rolling oddities (like rolling a box lid wildly because I like to snap my wrist when I roll) and she is almost as competitive as I am so it makes for good games of Battle Cry, Memoir 44, History of the World, and Twilight Struggle. She has tried Triumph and Tragedy as well as Churchill but we have yet to revisit those since our small guy arrived last year

My wife and I also play a lot of non-wargames and it is nice to have a built in partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jared
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
has been my most frequent gaming opponent since 2004. We're about to embark upon The Western Front: 1914 to 1918 since I finally managed to get it set up...and choke down the bizarrely written self-aggrandizing rules.

I'm also the beneficiary of many locals here in the Raleigh/Durham area that have been great gaming partners and wargaming mentors for the past 6 years since we all sort of found each other at The Gamer's Armory in Cary, NC. It's a great group of guys and I'm barely present enough to even consider (justify?) myself on the periphery of the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Carlson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, sir. We all have that special someone with whom we share our tabletop adventures. I have several, but I would like to throw this shout out to Shawn (yes, musical Shawn), who brings the same passion to his games as he brings to music and performances. We call each other every name in the book during our encounters, and we love every minute of it.

I'll never forget the time, several years ago, when we were playing our second or third session of Twilight Struggle. I'll never forget the game we played in which, at the beginning of Late War, I was able to bump up my score to eight, launch a number of battleground coups that brought the DefCon track to "2", then I played "wargames", which allowed me to give Shawn six points and immediately end the game. He was pissed, but a good time was had by all.

So here's to you, Shawn old boy, and the many adventures we've had, and will continue to have, over the tabletop!

Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jon and I have been gaming together for a little over four years now. I'm an old hex and counter guy and Jon likes those but he also likes newer games with cards. But he humors me and we play more than a fair share of my older games.

Also, Jon usually has to put up with me prattling on about the history of whatever game we are playing. I try to control it but I just can't seem to stop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Nothing wrong with that Steven. I played with an opponent who didn't say a word while we were gaming other than a few short questions about the game itself. It was so quiet you could hear the clock ticking in the background.

I stuck it out for a few sessions and then it was a case of goodbye not au revoir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhand wrote:
Believe me, his patience has been tested--case in point, a recent game of HF RUSSIA took seven hours, due mostly to my constant mulling. I'm not exaggerating, folks!

I hope you at least gave him the comfy chair!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Nothing wrong with that Steven. I played with an opponent who didn't say a word while we were gaming other than a few short questions about the game itself. It was so quiet you could hear the clock ticking in the background.

I stuck it out for a few sessions and then it was a case of goodbye not au revoir.

Wow, I don't know, Jim. That sounds kinda creepy. I would have said goodbye also. Jon and I have a very good time when playing. Always a lot of jokes and laughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
1970 Plymouth Valiant Duster 340
mbmbmbmbmb
To my friends Kevin, Kyle and James, if only we could get together more often. Always willing to play a game, any game, even when I'm not on my best behavior. Thanks for putting up with my tantrums and rules lawyering, even as I put up with yours!

Also, a big shout out to Matt and Nelson, those two guys make it possible for me to put my 40K armies on the table several times a year and duke it out. See, honey, all the models, painting, terrain, tables, time and money are NOT a huge waste (to me)!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb
No Expectations wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Wow, I don't know, Jim. That sounds kinda creepy. I would have said goodbye also. Jon and I have a very good time when playing. Always a lot of jokes and laughter.

More monastic than creepy to be fair. I always enjoy the session reports/write ups from you and Jon - you can tell you have had a lot of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearty cheers and round huzzahs to ...

Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb

My weekly Combat Commander (and other games) opponent, who is currently trying to drive my German and Italians forces to ground in a game of FAB Sicily. Ha! Ask him how he likes the 15th PzG forces, sometime.

Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My usually weekly Euro-gaming opponent who is slowly getting into wargames.

Plus Clint, Charles, and a handful of TABSCON regulars as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forty One
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started back in 1985 at Heriot-Watt. We've played AD&D, Cthulhu, Twilight, 2nd Fleet, Star Fleet Battles, Block War, Assault on Hoth, Totaler Krieg and Settlers. He was my best man but now he's turned into a eurogamer and I moved to Lincolnshire. He tells me off gently for being slow and gamey.

Jon Torgoose
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started on Dragonlance but graduated to European Theater of Operations. Down here being a yellow belly isn't an insult at all. He tells me off quite pointedly for being slow and a rules sneak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
lordpolish wrote:
Rhand wrote:
Believe me, his patience has been tested--case in point, a recent game of HF RUSSIA took seven hours, due mostly to my constant mulling. I'm not exaggerating, folks!

I hope you at least gave him the comfy chair!

All part of the "game." Defeat the enemy by making him extremely uncomfortable. No snacks or water for the enemy either. Bathroom breaks?No way! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
To my brother Scott

Scott Ransom
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Who introduced me to Vassal just so he could thrash me repeatedly in Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several good game buddy friends who I need to thank.

Tony H. is a tolerant soul who I've played for many years.

Phil C. is another longtime gaming buddy from my hometown who keeps me in touch with my Philly roots.

Alex M. and I have been playing wargames since we where in 5th grade ... well before his children graduated from high school and going all the way to his deployment in Afghanistan.

John W. for teaching me OCS

Mike K. for his patience as he waits for my email moves in Balance of Power.

Art H. for having the same taste in games as I and being the only person I've played face to face for the past few years.

Ty S. For teaching me GTS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea for a thread!

This is a big shout out and thank you to my regular opponent, who is also a good friend and a neighbour as well (it's a two minute walk between our houses).

The one & only.....

Hans Eldar Sjaberg
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hans Eldar is a Norwegian who has settled in Ireland. I am an Irish man who had a Danish grandfather, so we both have an interest in all things Scandinavian.

We meet approximately once per week. We both have busy jobs and have young kids the same age. A typical meeting would be on a Friday evening, when we would get rid of the stress of the working week by pushing cardboard counters and wooden blocks around a perspex covered map for a several hours, while blowing the froth off a few beers. Our enthusiasm for wargames is mutual and equal in intensity.

Together, we have learned how to play all sorts of wargames, from quick 'one evening' games all the way up to lengthy games which will take several evenings to play.

Examples of games which we have played to death over the last few years include:-

Combat Commander: Europe (and Pacific)
Up Front
Napoleon's Triumph
Bitter Woods (fourth edition)
Flying Colors
Fire in the Sky
Rommel in the Desert
Paths of Glory
EuroFront II (and its component games, EastFront II & WestFront II)
Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939
A Victory Lost

We are also currently pivileged to be playtesting The Last Hundred Yards, an excellent tactical level game by Mike Denson, which is currently on the GMT P500 list.

Thanks Hans Eldar, you are a good friend, and we have racked up hundreds (thousands?) of hours fighting intense battles in a gentlemanly manner. You are extremely generous and patient, and tolerate my temporary bouts of grumpiness when your tactical and strategic acumen exceed my own.

Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been gaming with the most excellent

Lewis Kenyon
United Kingdom
Great Yarmouth
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Since 2008 now. Maybe every month or two, though sometimes with a longer gap. We are well matched opponents (currently our record stands 29-24 in my favour), and have played a vast array of weird and wonderful games over the years, mostly squeezed into an evening session. Huge props to Lewis who always drives the 50 mile round trip (for varying reasons over the years, previously space, now my lack of a car) something I can never thank him enough for. We both express a preference for eastern front WWII but also the esoteric, anything a touch off the beaten track that can be bashed through with a rules session in 3 1/2 hours fits the bill. Currently we are getting obsessed with the spectacular Old School Tactical.

Here's a list of everything we've played barring a spell when I forgot to update it:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37423/war-ii-lewis-vs...

Cheers Lewis! #ledge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Hearty cheers and round huzzahs to ...

Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My weekly Combat Commander (and other games) opponent, who is currently trying to drive my German and Italians forces to ground in a game of FAB Sicily. Ha! Ask him how he likes the 15th PzG forces, sometime.

He just wants to keep borrowing my counter clippers.

Ha - anyway, it's great to have an opponent where we enjoy a similar pace of play (no AP, take-backs are allowed for serious errors if they won't overly disrupt the game flow), a similar approach to play (we both love history but the point is to have fun), and we like similar complexity levels (pretty much "wargame medium" - enough to have some simulation value and period feel, but not to the point where we spend all our time flipping through the rulebook).

Here's to you
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Expectations wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Last night, Steven and I were playing Pea Ridge in the GBACW series. His wife got home and stopped by our war room ("war room"; that probably sounds more exotic than it is, but its a fine little room where our games are left undisturbed in between plays).

Anyway, we just stopped our play and chatted about things from the election season to Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. We had a great time, lots of laughs, and after about a half hour she left and Steven and I returned to our game.

There are times when she probably wonders "What could be so funny?" when she is upstairs and Steven and I howl with laughter. It was probably an extremely unfortunate series of die rolls that turned a carefully laid plan that was thought to be a sure thing into a disaster.

Great times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb

My primary opponent is

Ryan Bies
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb

He is my nephew and I introduced him to wargames many years ago. Started with Risk (to whet his curiosity) when he was 10, played War at Sea (second edition) with him at 12, followed by Battle Cry and Strat-O-Matic Baseball (because sports classics need to be passed down too).

He's 28 now and he's still game to play anything at least once. Most times, we end up playing Combat Commander: Europe or Twilight Struggle, but having the next generation interested in learning games, old and new alike, is a joy. We have a blast exploring new games, whether it's a classic I haven't played in 35 years or a game that has been just released. It reminds me of why I enjoy this hobby so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to make some big shout-outs to some opponents I've enjoyed playing against.

First, to Mark Kaczmanyk (sic?) who taught me how to play Empire of the Sun Grand Illusion, Paths of Glory, and Roads to Leningrad through PBEM. He was patient and gave me tutorials as needed.

The same is true of Bryan Eshelman who graciously put up with me in PBEM Victory in the Pacific. I hadn't played for years and wasn't just rusty, but had played it wrong those years ago. It was a fascinating experience.

My local FTF victim is Padraig Boylan. He's played King Philip's War, Manoeuvre, Twilight Struggle, Afrika Korps, A House Divided, Rommel's Panzers,Samurai (AH), Churchill, Wings for the Baron, D-Day Dice, Win, Place & Show, and more (See, we're not one-dimensional)against me. Padraig puts up with my dalliances with different games even though he would rather stick with one.

My other go-to FTF opponent is Terry Coleman. He's been too busy trying to get his Traveller board game finished for us to get in much action except when I visited California last winter (Cuba Libre and Twilight Struggle) and during WBC (Quartermaster General, 7 Wonders, Superstar Baseball, Paydirt!, Settlers of the Stone Age, March Madness, and Sushi Go-Go (?) to accommodate multiple players after I'd spent the day in Manoeuvre and Wilderness War--Tigers in the Mist required its own separate day). Terry and I have played everything from old SPI games to GMT and MMP games. We've played a lot of Warriors of God in recent years. Our games have almost always been close and, in multiplayer games, we are the kinds of dirty rats who will stab each other and laugh because we both know it's coming, one way or another.

I wish I had more opponents like these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drjohnny wrote:

My other go-to FTF opponent is Terry Coleman. He's been too busy trying to get his Traveller board game finished for us to get in much action except when I visited California last winter ...

I wish I had more opponents like these guys.

@Johnny Wilson: Sorry for this aside... but a new Traveller board game? Like the classic Imperium or Fifth Frontier War?

update... google says: Traveller Ascension: Imperial Warrant

btw, since I have your attention, thanks for your hard work and Terry Coleman's involvement with Computer Gaming World, imo, the best PC gaming magazine of the 1990s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.