Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Doyle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the process of creating a new community organization located in Ottawa, called Saving Throw. We will provide board game nights for at-risk youth. The goals of theses meetings are to provide a safe, comfortable environment for the kids, increase their social and support networks, and of course have some fun.

In order to better facilitate the community we have created a survey with questions about when and where the nights should be held.

Regardless if you are from Ottawa or not we would appreciate your responses. You also do not have to be the parent of an at-risk child. All parents are welcome to fill out the survey, the more information we gather the better.

The link to the survey is below. Please feel free to private message me here or email savingthrowottawa@gmail.com with questions about the organization, donating, volunteering, or participating.

https://goo.gl/forms/6rePPileApO6FFug2

Thank you again for your help,
Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Seems to me that many of the youth at risk in Ottawa aren't communicating well with their parents.
There is an on-street organization, I believe, to support youth, whose name escapes me at the moment. Have you connected with anyone else to see how you can co-ordinate things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Doyle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have contacted multiple existing organizations. They are currently passing out the survey. We also plan to do recruitment for the game nights through those organizations, psychologists, guidance counselors, and social workers.

I appreciate you talking the time to respond. If you happen to remember the name of the organization please let me know. Any and all help/advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Just to make it clear to everyone, you do not need to be the parent of an at-risk child to fill out our survey. We want as much data as possible, so any and all parents are welcome. (I've edited the top post to clear that up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I believe I'm thinking of Youth Services. If you've reached out you may have connected with these folks, then.
Good luck with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besserer and Waller?
https://ottawa.cioc.ca/record/OCR1811

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Yep, that's them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Doyle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were definitely one of the first places I contacted. They are right next to The Loft/Level One (a frequent hangout) so the organization was easy to remember.

I appreciate all the detective work though and the advice. I'm always impressed with the kindness and support from this community (especially considering it's on the internet and all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georges Turgeon
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the Ottawa Boys and Girls club
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.