Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game, hoping to play soon.

Question re trading: what if the trade leader chooses a resource number higher than one of the players has to offer? I didn't see this clarified in the rules.

On an aside, the (base, retail) game I got was missing one coin. I can't imagine it's a big deal, but is it possible that the coins would run out, and this could cause a problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
See the FAQ number 14. (Answer: They don't participate in the trading... I think this is a rather rare occurrence as someone would have to get less than 5 resources.)

I think it's possible you'll run out of coins but probably very rarely and easy enough to substitute something. (There would have to be tons of cities with temples and people saving money from the previous round.)

Maybe someone else can comment on the rarity of these things happening as I haven't played enough to have a good sense of it. But I think they are both fringe cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with George: both cases are theoretically possible, but very, very unlikely to occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

Question re trading: what if the trade leader chooses a resource number higher than one of the players has to offer? I didn't see this clarified in the rules.

On an aside, the (base, retail) game I got was missing one coin. I can't imagine it's a big deal, but is it possible that the coins would run out, and this could cause a problem?

I think the only physical way to not have enough coins is to play five player and have every city and every temple built and produce. I don't think it's a likely scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
MrMT wrote:

I think the only physical way to not have enough coins is to play five player and have every city and every temple built and produce. I don't think it's a likely scenario.

And even then, I believe that they've included enough to for every player to save two as well (and probably there's a hero/wonder that gives extra coins on top of that), so it really would need to be a "perfect storm" type of situation for this to occur in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AronR wrote:
Throknor wrote:
MrMT wrote:

And even then, I believe that they've included enough to for every player to save two as well (and probably there's a hero/wonder that gives extra coins on top of that), so it really would need to be a "perfect storm" type of situation for this to occur in real life.

Unless you have the Atlas expansion, you cannot run out of coins - there are 44 coins in the base game, and there are 16 city sites (32 coins for all cities with temples). In addition, each player may save 2 coins (10 coins saved for 5 players), and the owner of the Temple of Artemis collects 1 additional coin - Total: 43 needed, 44 supplied. (so if you are missing one, you still have enough to handle a worst case situation.)

If you have the Atlas expansion, it is theoretically possible to run out - the expansion adds 6 coins, has 3 city sites (needs 6 coins) and 1 player (needs 2 coins), so the totals are: 51 needed, 50 supplied. This is not really a problem - you will never use all the coins anyway (for example, Rome and Carthage almost never build temples)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those of us who have the resource (poker) chips can keep a few cardboard resources in reserve just in case there is a shortage. As has been said, it's very, very unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
See the FAQ number 14. (Answer: They don't participate in the trading... I think this is a rather rare occurrence as someone would have to get less than 5 resources.)

I think it's possible you'll run out of coins but probably very rarely and easy enough to substitute something. (There would have to be tons of cities with temples and people saving money from the previous round.)

Maybe someone else can comment on the rarity of these things happening as I haven't played enough to have a good sense of it. But I think they are both fringe cases.

That's not a problem of token shortage, there's no shortage on these elements.

It can happen if an Empire is successfully attacked by opponents that occupy Resources : it can happen you cannot collect enough Resources to be able to trade depending on the number asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a rare occurrence in MN:E? I haven't played Empires, but I own the original MN and in our games it was not uncommon that a player was thrown out of the trade phase for not having enough resources. Actually, most of the time it was done on purpose, that's why the trade leader card was so valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
Is it a rare occurrence in MN:E? I haven't played Empires, but I own the original MN and in our games it was not uncommon that a player was thrown out of the trade phase for not having enough resources. Actually, most of the time it was done on purpose, that's why the trade leader card was so valuable.

You can only trade 0 or 5, 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 (they are on the two sides of three chips) and you have to use three of this values in consecutive turns. I think it's difficult to shut someone down with this values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see; so this particular rule has changed a lot. In MN, the trade leader may choose any value, the only limit I remember is you cannot choose more resources that you (the trade leader) have in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Parker

California
msg tools
Same question as from the original posted message: what if the trade leader chooses a resource number higher than one of the players has to offer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blues55 wrote:
Same question as from the original posted message: what if the trade leader chooses a resource number higher than one of the players has to offer?

From the first answer

Quote:
See the FAQ number 14. (Answer: They don't participate in the trading...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.