$30.00
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37637954

The falling pound has lead to a fallout between the manufacturer or Marmite and one of our leading supermarkets leading to empty selves of much loved 'British' products.

Oh dear... oh dear... oh dear. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote this the most important news in RSP by far. While I personally much prefer the taste of Vegemite, only Marmite is fortified with B12-- a key vegetarian source of it.

Is my supply here in Israel going to be interrupted? The kosher supplier is actually in South Africa and so I don't think so but need be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nationalise Marmite now!

So Unilever are in dispute with Tesco, what is happening to the Marmite that they are not selling?

Marmite is made in Britain and for the most part eaten in Britain so is it just being warehoused somewhere? Its not being poured into the Trent?

What about Twiglets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What an odd argument, Tesco doesn't want to pass on price increases? Who does? So what? If Unilever is raising the wholesale price of Marmite then that's what it's going to cost from now on. It's not like people can just go to Sainsbury's and buy it at the old price. Their price is going to rise equivalently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doesn't always quite work that way. The large supermarket chains tend to tell suppliers we will purchase your product at this price or we dont stock it.

The manufactures (american parent company of course) want to put the price up between 10% - 15% (depending on news source) to cover the falling £.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
growlley wrote:
doesn't always quite work that way. The large supermarket chains tend to tell suppliers we will purchase your product at this price or we dont stock it.

The manufactures (american parent company of course) want to put the price up between 10% - 15% (depending on news source) to cover the falling £.

Wal-mart does that because it can (of course it is often in the suppliers best interest to say no, though they often don't). Very few, if any, other retailers really have that sort of leverage. Especially not for something like Marmite.

Also, Unilever is not an American company and never has been, though they've purchased plenty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
What other FOOL 'consumer' we should "pity" would even BUY this if naught them? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
damiangerous wrote:
growlley wrote:

Wal-mart does that because it can (of course it is often in the suppliers best interest to say no, though they often don't). Very few, if any, other retailers really have that sort of leverage. Especially not for something like Marmite.

Also, Unilever is not an American company and never has been, though they've purchased plenty.

Regrettably the two dominant supermarkets in Australia (Coles and Woolworths/Safeway) can and do, for all sorts of things. They are currently in the middle of a determined effort to eradicate dairy farmers (well, that may or may not be their goal, but it is what they will achieve). I don't see why market-dominating companies in the UK would not.

Haven't looked it up, but I have a vague recollection that Unilever is Swiss. Either way, they'd be one of the few companies large enough to be able to fight back against this sort of thing. Might be interesting to watch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Haven't looked it up, but I have a vague recollection that Unilever is Swiss.

Dutch/British, formed from a Dutch margarine maker and a British soap maker back in the late 1920's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
What an odd argument, Tesco doesn't want to pass on price increases? Who does? So what? If Unilever is raising the wholesale price of Marmite then that's what it's going to cost from now on. It's not like people can just go to Sainsbury's and buy it at the old price. Their price is going to rise equivalently.

The counterpoint is that when exchange rates were in Unilevers favour, they did not pass on this price drop to the supermarkets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
growlley wrote:

Wal-mart does that because it can (of course it is often in the suppliers best interest to say no, though they often don't). Very few, if any, other retailers really have that sort of leverage.

In the UK, Tesco may well have that leverage. Despite wobbles in recent years, and the ongoing rise of the bare-bones discount retailers like Aldi and Lidl in the UK, Tesco still have the highest market share, by around 10%, of the top 5 supermarkets (being about 28%, compared to the next nearest of around 18%). Suppliers - even big ones - have perpetually accused them of forcing prices, on pain of products not being stocked, and given the aforementioned rise of the discounters, who seem to be mostly poaching Tesco customers, they're going to be very loath to jack up prices on such iconic products if they can possibly avoid it.

They'll also not want to break from the pack in tacitly acknowledging the impact of Brexit, given the potential PR issues around that: The Great British Public have been repeatedly told by most of the mainstream media that Brexit's negative effects have been overstated, and may well view price rises as profiteering (some analysts are suggesting that's what Unilever are actually doing in this case, given some of the products are manufactured in the UK).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why this didn't come into play during the campaign. While I voted to remain, "Marmite will be abolished" would have been one of the few compelling arguments for me to vote leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
As the iniquitous forces of oppression conspire against our plucky heroes and the Great British Majority I am expecting widespread talk of the blitz and rationing in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
ALSO Gibraltar, NO 'Macaques' then doesn't RESULT in 'macaquecaque' nor Shoebats'guano' everywheres! coal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I vote this the most important news in RSP by far. While I personally much prefer the taste of Vegemite, only Marmite is fortified with B12-- a key vegetarian source of it.

Is my supply here in Israel going to be interrupted? The kosher supplier is actually in South Africa and so I don't think so but need be sure.

Wow! A non-Aussie who likes Vegemite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

I think as long as Israel doesn't make a sudden and dramatic fiscal shift to using pound sterling as it's currency you'll be OK!

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Wow! A non-Aussie who likes Vegemite.

I was called an Aussie by the Aussies in yeshiva. My family lived there for years before I was born and two of my sisters were born there. I hypothesize that they still had the accent when I learned to talk. That's because (although I'm unable to replicate the Aussie accent consciously) when I was younger whenever I got drunk, I'd start speaking my English with a thick Aussie accent. I'm not even sure I don't still do that; I just don't really get drunk anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.