$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like the game and would love to have a separate deck for each faction. Sadly collecting LCG expansions is not for me and I am never going to buy this many of them... so I thought about buying the second core set and creating separate decks for each faction, after all the game has rules for character duplicates. Has anyone tried it, would it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
Thats been my plan, and I think it works fine for casual. The only thing lacking is having enough of some neutral cards that produce extra income/cost deduction. But for the most part I think you can have fine balanced games with just two cores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Elliott
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should help you.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462963/8-mono-faction-deck...

The trick is to keep the neutrals as floaters - the game doesn't work very well without a full boat of economy cards in the deck. You have a bit of work before you play, but you can keep the factions intact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all you want to do is create some ready-to-go faction decks for casual play, then I think a second copy will give you a lot of "bang for the buck." Simply having a second copy of a lot of recognizable unique characters is pretty key. It's not a lot of fun to play a Stark deck without Eddard, or a Targaryean deck without Danny, etc.

Having a 2nd copy of unique characters also means you are more likely to play duplicates, which I think adds to the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sean
msg tools
Yeah, as per blelliot01, this link should suit your enquiry...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462963/8-mono-faction-deck...

I have played twice with this setup; once as Stark and once as Lanesters. Both times worked well and will continue to play like this. I have two decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Three cores are definitely overkill for this game unless you want to play competitively, you'll end up with a ton of cards sitting in a box or binder. you can buy the economy cards separate on some sites (roseroad, etc). Two is a good compromise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everybody for the comments and the great link, this has been really useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
well if you find a good price for the 3rd set, might as well go for it, if not wait it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three cores is needed if you want to make 4 decks that Are used in the same time. I have now 6 cores so that I can make a deck to each faction if I really need... or to have some nice cards in four decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
man that's pretty over kill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blelliott01 wrote:
The trick is to keep the neutrals as floaters - the game doesn't work very well without a full boat of economy cards in the deck.

That's true -- you can typically find some neutral sets on eBay for cheaper than the cost of a whole core set. Perhaps one more set of the roads would help a bunch. (You could message me if you need some.)

But regardless, if each deck is even with the others (economy level), it'll make for a good, even game all around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.