$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What games are better as a 1 player than it is as 2 or more players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In deference to the other 1 player thread trending here now, I am curious to know if there are board games that people like better or think play better as a 1 player game than a multiple player game?

I feel that there are a lot of games that play much better with 3 than 4 and sometimes even better at 5 than 4 in my experience....

Most games have a "sweet spot" for player interection versus downtime. I think I heard once that Robinson Crusoe plays very well with 1 player but I am wondering if there are other strong feelings on this for games that play 1 player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mage Knight qualifies. It's very puzzly and can lend itself to long bouts of AP, leading to boredom and frustration with more than 1 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a solo variant for Taluva posted in here that I think is as good or better than the multi-player game. A real brain burner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben T

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd say Sylvion is one. Two player works okay, but in my experience, it's just flat out more fun with 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the coops I don't like have the same major complaint from me being they are really best for just one player.

I could also see some games like dominion or splendor being one player if your the type to like the race yourself to set a personal best type of game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game has some definite advantages solo. It's still good with up to 4, but there are times when a solo game is just a better experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game approaches being best as 1 player. I enjoy it equally with 2 I think though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Spank the Monkey, but then I changed my mind. Better with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All co-op games The overwhelming majority of co-op games (edited due to Hanibi being at least one exception, see below). Playing solitaire gets rid of morons stuffing up the plan, alpha player syndrome, which in these games I'm prone to and I hate it, and the problem of everyone having enough time to play.

When I am with other people I want to play games that _require_ more than one player. I understand that not everyone agrees with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burbage wrote:
All co-op games. Playing solitaire gets rid of morons stuffing up the plan, alpha player syndrome, which in these games I'm prone to and I hate it, and the problem of everyone having enough time to play.

When I am with other people I want to play games that _require_ more than one player. I understand that not everyone agrees with me.

All is a dangerous word. I believe he meant most as I can't imagine anyone solo-ing Hanabi, a co-op deduction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
Burbage wrote:
All co-op games. Playing solitaire gets rid of morons stuffing up the plan, alpha player syndrome, which in these games I'm prone to and I hate it, and the problem of everyone having enough time to play.

All is a dangerous word. I believe he meant most as I can't imagine anyone solo-ing Hanabi, a co-op deduction game.

Never played Hanabi. On the other hand, I'm schizo enough to play chess against myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benandorf wrote:
I'd say Sylvion is one. Two player works okay, but in my experience, it's just flat out more fun with 1.

From Shadi Torbey's lineup, I prefer Castellion as a solo game. It is hard, which makes a win all that more rewarding. Very quick setup, and it has a nice puzzle-y feel to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's also worth mentioning that there are lots of games designed for exactly 1 player.

I have been playing Coffee Roaster a lot recently and even after a few years I still go back to Friday from time to time. Hostage Negotiator: Crime Wave is coming next year and promises to be a highly replayable solo only experience.

I've bought several games specifically for solo play like Fields of Arle and Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game. Glass Road is a game I bought just as much for solo play as for multiplayer and I think I prefer the solo mode for that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add D-Day Dice as a game that allows for multiplayer but is best solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight. 2 is acceptable. 3+ is just dumb.
Leaving Earth. Terrible with more than 1.
potentially Kingdom Death.. I personally enjoy it with just 1 since it's a lot more tactical.
At the Gates of Loyang - 2 player game is awful, solo is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
LOTR: LCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I think Mage Knight qualifies. It's very puzzly and can lend itself to long bouts of AP, leading to boredom and frustration with more than 1 player.

I see that for some people, but that has not been the case at all for me. I was very bored with it as a solo game, far preferring 2-player. It might be the specific friend I play with, and the fact that we always play semi-competitive or fully competitive (not co-op). The story and theme really keep us engaged in those modes (and solo competition doesn't quite work here).

For me, the game that immediately jumps to mind is Yggdrasil. It truly shines solo, becoming increasingly difficult (to the point of being nearly impossible) and fiddly as you add players. In fact, with 5-6, it's just not fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burbage wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:
Burbage wrote:

Never played Hanabi. On the other hand, I'm schizo enough to play chess against myself.

I spent the first decade or two of my Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader career playing exclusively against myself due to a lack of opponents. Even though the game has rather more hidden information than chess does, I was still able to be (as you put it) "schizo" enough to get a very satisfying game out of it. Sometimes the game of compartmentalizing my knowledge into "side a" and "side b" was even part of the fun. If I was acting as "side a" when I was struck by a certain revelation and changed my gameplay as a result, "side b" might or might not clue into the new situation before it was too late. Contrariwise, "side b" might think of something and get all paranoid about defending against it when "side a" was presumed to have never thought of it in the first place.

But whereas SL and ASL are fundamentally about how you change your plans based on the luck of the dice as well as on the actions of the other player, Hanabi is fundamentally about how you communicate or act on hidden knowledge between the players. I can imagine being schizo enough to work out how to play Hanabi with other "compartments" of yourself, as doing so might make for an interesting mental puzzle. Once you figured out the "how", though, I doubt the game itself would actually be better that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote for Space Hulk Death Angel and Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. Space Hulk has player elimination, which I find strange and undesirable in a co-op. LotR has deck building, which I find works best alone.

Cheers!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely Mage Knight!

2 players is ok but it flows a bit better with one. Have never even tried 3 or 4 cause it seems it'd be ridiculously playing time and a mess of rules.

Sylvion is great one player also - the two player version definitely works, but it is firstly a one player game =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to play Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game as a solo (with 2 avatars) and enjoyed it a lot.
I have then played Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game solo and I will do the same thing for Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game.

I enjoy these games solo (most of the time with 2 "hands") and I play them this way for 95 % of my games. Plus, if I had to play them 2+ I would have to explain them, guide the new players and probably have a longer less fluid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games that are designed specifically as one player experiences and have multiplayer added on as variants are the go to examples of that for me.

The games in the Oniverse I've played (Onirim and Sylvion), Navajo Wars, etc.

RC plays about as well solo as two player and three player, don't think I've played it with four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burbage wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:
Burbage wrote:

...Chess is a game without any hidden information. That makes it extremely easy to play two handed against yourself. Hanabi is a cooperative game of limited communication where the hidden information being open would entirely ruin the experience - As in, it's a game of giving clues to the other players to let them figure out what card from their hand to play, when they can't see their own cards. As such, it's no more possible to multihand as Stratego would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have only played three times. The first time with three and the scone time with four. It fell flat both times.

I was going to get rid of my copy of Eldritch Horror, but decided to try it as a solo game. It was an absolute blast, and the game length was halved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I might like Legends of Andor better as a solo game. I really enjoy puzzling it out, and the solitaire experience really lends itself to that.

Also, it avoids the problem of one player having a really boring job/turn. "Well, looks like the wizard needs to just run to the other side of the map this round..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.