Subject: Has Anyone Actually Won at This Game as the Rebels? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
I've played this game five times as the Rebels and I routinely get my ass kicked by the Empire. So I'm wondering? Did the designers deliberately make it impossible to win as the Rebels? Who wants to play a game in which one side ALWAYS loses? That's like playing Axis and Allies and the Germans and Japanese lose every single time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won as both Rebels and Empire pretty consistently.

If you could post a session report or summary, it could help in terms of finding what strategies you might try to do better, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
gdhurn wrote:
I've played this game five times as the Rebels and I routinely get my ass kicked by the Empire. So I'm wondering? Did the designers deliberately make it impossible to win as the Rebels? Who wants to play a game in which one side ALWAYS loses? That's like playing Axis and Allies and the Germans and Japanese lose every single time...

I won my first three as rebels and lost the fourth. Lots of good threads on the forum (actually they're pretty mediocre and probably involve me telling people they're idiots) talking about strategy.

If you posted information about how you play people will probably give you advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

gdhurn wrote:
So I'm wondering? Did the designers deliberately make it impossible to win as the Rebels?

If that's the case. then I've achieved the impossible! Several times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9 matches always as the rebel
Defeated 4 times (twice with wrong rules...)
Victorious 5 times (once with wrong rules ).

At The beginning we thought it was enough for the Empire to conquer ground only of the Rebel base...

By the way I think between pro players the empire will have a better chance to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, without a session report, all we can do is basically tell you "git gud" and assure you that it is indeed pretty well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
All my victories have come from the Rebels side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
3 very rookie plays here, 3 2 rebel wins around turn marker 8. Empire player needs to prevent those objective cards...

1 empire victory with the death star getting lucky blowing up the rebel base from a lot of open choices left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is balanced. the basic strategy as the empire is more obvious, but its is definitely possible to win as the Rebels.
I have played as the rebels more than 10 times and lost only twice.

I would suggest how to be a better Rebel player but look at one of the 3 or so threads that have been posted recently asking a similar question to yours (myself and many others have already suggested such ideas)

good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not to sound harsh, but I wonder if the OP simply played against a superior opponent for all five games? (I know that usually when I play, my opponent is superior to me)!

And if it was the same opponent, perhaps the OP can test his hypothesis by swapping sides, letting his opponent play the Rebels for the next five games. That should provide better information for the OP, before he concludes that the Rebels are designed to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
On our two playthroughs (swapping affiliations) the Rebels won both games. However, in both games it strongly felt like the Empire was dominating until the very end when suddenly the Rebels got off a couple of objectives and suddenly the Empire was on the clock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Are there any "classic opening moves" like in Axis and Allies that the Rebel player should do EVERY TIME?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
gdhurn wrote:
Are there any "classic opening moves" like in Axis and Allies that the Rebel player should do EVERY TIME?

Yes, do a diplomacy mission on a strategically significant system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gdhurn wrote:

Our games of Rebellion are pretty close to 50/50. In Axis & Allies (gamemaster version) on the other hand I think it is closer to 90/10 in favour of the Allies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gdhurn wrote:

Try to build some cruisers - get loyalty in Utapau, Mon Calamari, or even Corellia.

Find something useful for your forces to do, e.g. attack a weakly defended Empire system.

Try to focus your opponent'a attention away from your base.

I end up attacking Corellia or Coruscant a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
gdhurn wrote:

Build Alliance (or Trade Negotiations if you have it) on Utapau with Mon Mothma is pretty much what I consider to be the only must do turn one move for the Rebels.

Utapau is two spots away from all possible Imperial starting points so they can't subjugate it on turn one so if you get it you are guaranteed a Corvette and a Mon Cal Cruiser in the build queue.

As production is very important having a sabotage on turn one is good too but Empire has ways of mitigating its effect. However, if he tries to contest one of your missions (the Build Alliance, for example) you will then get the last activation of the turn so you can sabotage a Imperial Loyal planet that produces two units like Corelia or Sullust without worrying about it being removed by Research and Development.

That is why I never contest missions as the Imperial player on turn one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
This is related to the subject of a bid for a novice Rebel player in another thread, but perhaps these things could help:

-Let the Rebel player choose the first Tier 1 objective card drawn, and this can be done after drawing the first two missions. The two combat objectives are easy enough to shoot for during setup. Perhaps getting an early reputation point will boost confidence.

-The Rebel player can also choose the two starting action cards, with Mon Mothma's, Dodonna's and Leia's (Our Most Desperate Hour) being the best options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Deus Vult
badge
Gloria in excelsis Deo
mbmbmbmbmb
If something, it's the opposite. Keep trying, you'll figure it out.

EDIT: I found plenty of threads like this in the forum, they can definitely help you out: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1643051/are-rebels-op

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
According to the polls the game is pretty near balanced with a slight favor towards rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 games so far. Empire has won all games but the markers were side-by-side for the last two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
According to the polls the game is pretty near balanced with a slight favor towards rebels.

By the way- even with that slight favor, that's still pretty impressive for such an incredibly assymetrical, huge game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
I won last night as the rebels, largely because of 3 enormous slices of luck.

In turn 1 I drew 2 missions that enabled me to gain Mon Calamari Cruisers and I produced a third at the end of the turn, putting all 3 on the build queue.

I then managed to maneauver my forces to launch an attack on the fleet containing the Death Star from 3 different systems, believing I had enough forces to destroy a star destroyer and 3 ground units (thus completing 2 objectives), but at that very moment I drew the Death Star Plans objective, meaning my attack ended up gaining me 3 reputation (I wiped out all the Imperial ships but narrowly failed on the ground) and cost me no capital ships.

Then, as my opponent neared my base on Yavin, I moved it - surviving a small attacking force, and drew 4 possible base locations, of which 3 were Imperial systems but the 4th was the single best option - Rlyoth, which had a barrier of defended Rebel systems between it and any Empire forces. In fact I had to last only 2 more turns, and all his ships were at least 4 moves away from it after the destruction of the Death Star fleet.

My opponent also had consistently terrible dice luck, and failed on every attempt to capture my leaders, and I'd also recruited Chewbacca as an extra leader early on, so I had 9.

It was really a perfect storm of bad luck for the Empire - I've never seen the rebels win so early (turn 8)

By the way - I also placed most of my starting forces on the neutral Utaupo instead of any of the systems I drew and used Mon Mothma to make it loyal in the first turn - that worked very well, luring the Empire across the board towards it (and avery long way from Yavin), which took several turns with their starting systems, and meant that i had all 3 Cruisers in play before it arrived and was able to launch the big attack on that fleet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
I won last night as the rebels, largely because of 3 enormous slices of luck.

In turn 1 I drew 2 missions that enabled me to gain Mon Calamari Cruisers and I produced a third at the end of the turn, putting all 3 on the build queue.

I then managed to maneauver my forces to launch an attack on the fleet containing the Death Star from 3 different systems, believing I had enough forces to destroy a star destroyer and 3 ground units (thus completing 2 objectives), but at that very moment I drew the Death Star Plans objective, meaning my attack ended up gaining me 3 reputation (I wiped out all the Imperial ships but narrowly failed on the ground) and cost me no capital ships.

Then, as my opponent neared my base on Yavin, I moved it - surviving a small attacking force, and drew 4 possible base locations, of which 3 were Imperial systems but the 4th was the single best option - Rlyoth, which had a barrier of defended Rebel systems between it and any Empire forces. In fact I had to last only 2 more turns, and all his ships were at least 4 moves away from it after the destruction of the Death Star fleet.

My opponent also had consistently terrible dice luck, and failed on every attempt to capture my leaders, and I'd also recruited Chewbacca as an extra leader early on, so I had 9.

It was really a perfect storm of bad luck for the Empire - I've never seen the rebels win so early (turn 8)

By the way - I also placed most of my starting forces on the neutral Utaupo instead of any of the systems I drew and used Mon Mothma to make it loyal in the first turn - that worked very well, luring the Empire across the board towards it (and avery long way from Yavin), which took several turns with their starting systems, and meant that i had all 3 Cruisers in play before it arrived and was able to launch the big attack on that fleet

You can only score one combat objective per combat, unfortunately. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
jackalope wrote:
gdhurn wrote:

Yes, do a diplomacy mission on a strategically significant system.

Define "strategically important"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
poshniallo wrote:
gdhurn wrote:

Try to build some cruisers - get loyalty in Utapau, Mon Calamari, or even Corellia.

Find something useful for your forces to do, e.g. attack a weakly defended Empire system.

Try to focus your opponent'a attention away from your base.

I end up attacking Corellia or Coruscant a lot.

Well, in one game I did manage to land troops on Corscant, but there is nothing in the rules about anything significant about landing troops on Corscant. It might as well be any other planet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.