Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperbolus wrote:
Obama needs to be on the phone 18 hours a day to sort out Syria. Never mind bullshit like this. What a cunt he really is.

You do realize that isn't how diplomacy works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I'm sure Obama wrote as much of this as he does his speeches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Out of interest (not that I have a dog in this race) what makes you 'sure' that Obama did not write any of the interview responses in this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Out of interest (not that I have a dog in this race) what makes you 'sure' that Obama did not write any of the interview responses in this case?

I was referring to the article, not the interview which was in person I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
The interview with Scott Dadich & Joi Ito is actually pretty interesting, as you get kind of an insider's view of what the leader of the nation (who knows more about what's available out there tech-wise than we do) thinks will be the challenges going forward.

For instance, an interesting exchange on the role of government & tech R&D:

Quote:
DADICH: When we’re talking about that extended intelligence as it applies to government, private industry, and academia, where should the center of that research live, if there even is a center?

ITO: I think MIT would argue that it should be at MIT. [Laughs.] Historically it probably would have been a group of academics with help from a government. But right now, most of the billion-dollar labs are in business.

OBAMA: We know the guys who are funding them, and if you talk to Larry Page or others, their general attitude, understandably, is, “The last thing we want is a bunch of bureaucrats slowing us down as we chase the unicorn out there.”

Part of the problem that we’ve seen is that our general commitment as a society to basic research has diminished. Our confidence in collective action has been chipped away, partly because of ideology and rhetoric.

The analogy that we still use when it comes to a great technology achievement, even 50 years later, is a moon shot. And somebody reminded me that the space program was half a percent of GDP. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but in today’s dollars that would be $80 billion that we would be spending annually … on AI. Right now we’re spending probably less than a billion. That undoubtedly will accelerate, but part of what we’re gonna have to understand is that if we want the values of a diverse community represented in these breakthrough technologies, then government funding has to be a part of it. And if government is not part of financing it, then all these issues that Joi has raised about the values embedded in these technologies end up being potentially lost or at least not properly debated.

And a good example of Obama the pragmatist, which he doesn't get enough credit for:

Quote:
DADICH: But there are certainly some risks. We’ve heard from folks like Elon Musk and Nick Bostrom4 who are concerned about AI’s potential to outpace our ability to understand it. As we move forward, how do we think about those concerns as we try to protect not only ourselves but humanity at scale?

OBAMA: Let me start with what I think is the more immediate concern—it’s a solvable problem in this category of specialized AI, and we have to be mindful of it. If you’ve got a computer that can play Go, a pretty complicated game with a lot of variations, then developing an algorithm that lets you maximize profits on the New York Stock Exchange is probably within sight. And if one person or organization got there first, they could bring down the stock market pretty quickly, or at least they could raise questions about the integrity of the financial markets.

Then there could be an algorithm that said, “Go penetrate the nuclear codes and figure out how to launch some missiles.” If that’s its only job, if it’s self-teaching and it’s just a really effective algorithm, then you’ve got problems. I think my directive to my national security team is, don’t worry as much yet about machines taking over the world. Worry about the capacity of either nonstate actors or hostile actors to penetrate systems, and in that sense it is not conceptually different than a lot of the cybersecurity work we’re doing. It just means that we’re gonna have to be better, because those who might deploy these systems are going to be a lot better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
The interview with Scott Dadich & Joi Ito is actually pretty interesting, as you get kind of an insider's view of what the leader of the nation (who knows more about what's available out there tech-wise than we do) thinks will be the challenges going forward.

It is a good interview. Wish that he'd joked when discussing AI: "Well, we have to do everything possible to realize full AI because otherwise Roko's Basilisk will torture our similated selves forever," just to troll the transhumanist parts of the alt-right that freaked out and banned discussion of the topic when it appeared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperbolus wrote:
Obama needs to be on the phone 18 hours a day to sort out Syria. Never mind bullshit like this. What a cunt he really is.

That's some interesting and insightful analysis. Question; how would you handle the Syrian situation if you were President?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.