$30.00
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a birthday coming up, and I'm itching to get another 18xx title.

My favorites are in the stock genre vs engineering vein (yes - I know there is a blend of the two styles, but people will get the idea).

18xx games I like:

1830, 1889, 1846, 1849, 18NEB

18xx games I didn't like:

1844, 18PA, 1862 (although 1862 dragged, I probably should try it again with a different group)

18xx games on my "wishlist": 18NY, 18MEX, 1822, 1817 maybe 18NEB
Note: I don't think I'd have a chance of getting 1817 played due to length, and I'd have to teach it to the group.

I'm slightly leaning toward 18NY, but I wanted to reach out to the group to get people's $0.10 of games I might be missing, or opinions/suggestions on the games above.

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
I've got a birthday coming up, and I'm itching to get another 18xx title.

My favorites are in the stock genre vs engineering vein (yes - I know there is a blend of the two styles, but people will get the idea).

18xx games I like:

1830, 1889, 1846, 1849, 18NEB

18xx games I didn't like:

1844, 18PA, 1862 (although 1862 dragged, I probably should try it again with a different group)

18xx games on my "wishlist": 18NY, 18MEX, 1822, 1817 maybe 18NEB
Note: I don't think I'd have a chance of getting 1817 played due to length, and I'd have to teach it to the group.

I'm slightly leaning toward 18NY, but I wanted to reach out to the group to get people's $0.10 of games I might be missing, or opinions/suggestions on the games above.

Thanks guys!

I would guess that the ones you like have more introductory ideas for the games which can get you into the depth of the 18XX type ideas and be done relatively quickly (comparative to other 18XX titles), while those which start off with a heavy bang and can go on for a VERY long time occasionally aren't your style.

However, without knowing exactly what it is that you like or dislike about each it's hard to suggest one that I know you'd like.

Taking a guess, I'd say you might want to look into 18EZ or Steam over Holland.

If you want more depth you could go with 1829 Mainline or 1853.

I haven't tried the ones on your wishlist so I can't really comment on those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Get 1817 for your birthday and a new group for Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Birthday!

I received 1849 and 1817 from my husband for my birthday last February. What a guy!

We have similar tastes, 18PA is the worst xx I've played.

18NY has a long end game but is otherwise good.

1841 is my top suggestion. There's financial decisions piled upon financial decisions. Your companies can own shares! And buy them in the OR! And you can print money! And !!!! Get this one.

1822: The Railways of Great Britain Is definitely the new hotness. It doesn't have any exclamation points in my description so it's clearly inferior to 1841 though.

18MEX You'll need it eventually, so may as well tack it on to your birthday order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
1841 is my top suggestion. There's financial decisions piled upon financial decisions. Your companies can own shares! And buy them in the OR! And you can print money! And !!!! Get this one.

1841 is the paragon of financial manipulation in 18XX. It is skullduggery and legerdemain through and through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.