Subject: What is missing from retail versions over KS versions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing my homework for my Essen buys and this game seems really nice but I won't buy a game that is crippled by the lack of KS exclusives.

So can anyone inform me what the KS version has over the retail version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
I'm doing my homework for my Essen buys and this game seems really nice but I won't buy a game that is crippled by the lack of KS exclusives.

Scenario 6: 4 Event cards with 4 miniatures.
The Dark Side of Mars mini expansion: Mission with 4 cards.
1st Player 3D Marker
Excavation machine 3D marker
32 Player markers (miniatures to replace wooden meeples)
10 miniature buildings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Benoist
China
Shanghai
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
Bowmangr wrote:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1759497187/martians-a-s...

If you want to see what they look like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

1st Player 3D Marker
10 miniature buildings

Thank you Andrew!
This looks like a pass for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Tsolov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

1st Player 3D Marker
10 miniature buildings

I don`t think that the above is correct. You have made a list with the SGs marked as "Kickstarter Exclusive", but a lot of the other SGs will not be part of the retail box also.

From the FAQ section of the Kickstarter page:

The retail version of the game will include:
+ a box with a basic content (as it was at the beginning of the action)
+ 2-sided board
+ 2 additional player aids
+ better quality of Corpo card
+ a meeple's grab
+ 4 new event cards
+ improved markers (190k SG)
All other components coming with stretch goals will NOT be included in a retail version.

So all of the other unlocked SGs will not be included in the retail version. You could see the list of them on the Kickstarter page:

P.S. The 10 miniature buildings are paid add-on. They will not be included for free in each KS box. The colonist miniatures which replace the wooden meeples are 12 (not 32).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is even worse! Definitely a pass then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

Wait... you're passing on a complete game, because you don't get some stuff for free like other people did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

Wait... you're passing on a complete game, because you don't get some stuff for free like other people did?

Doesn't seem complete to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
velvetvoulge wrote:
Bowmangr wrote:

Doesn't seem complete to me...

You could have 100 %. Of course other persons have 110 % or 120 % ... but you still could have 100 %.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScalpHell
France
Lestrem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very few of kickstarter games haven't exclusive stuff... (Steigmeier's games, Unfair, etc.). Should be hard to you to pass all games with exclusives.
BTW I really hope that designers will follow Steigmeier's exemple/advices (generally possibility to buy the extrastuff after the kickstarter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darknico wrote:
very few of kickstarter games haven't exclusive stuff... (Steigmeier's games, Unfair, etc.). Should be hard to you to pass all games with exclusives.

There are exclusives that affect gameplay and some that aren't. The former make the game incomplete for me, the latter I couldn't care less.

So no, it's actually not that hard to pass all games with exclusives. Some of them I back and get the exclusives, some of them have non-gameplay affecting props and I buy them regardless and some others I buy their KS versions from other sellers. All others get a pass.
There are SO MANY games coming out these days that not buying an in-complete game is not really some kind of loss/missed opportunity actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScalpHell
France
Lestrem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're totally right.
(it's a pity to have to check if a game is complete or not before buy it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darknico wrote:
You're totally right.
(it's a pity to have to check if a game is complete or not before buy it)

It's sad actually. I choose to vote with my wallet as I can't do anything else about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony King
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
FYI, they have the full kickstarter version available as a "limited edition" at their booth. It's 45 EUR for the retail boxed set and 60 EUR for the limited edition (includes all KS exclusives). The only thing you don't get is the Collector's miniatures that were add-ons during the campaign. They have those available for sale too, but I think at 40 EUR. I skipped those.

I bought mine and it even had the KS exclusive sticker on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
So they are putting 4 scenarios in the retail box and leaving the other 6 out? This is absurd for a scenario driven game, who would actually buy it like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Vermeulen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epsilon748 wrote:
FYI, they have the full kickstarter version available as a "limited edition" at their booth. It's 45 EUR for the retail boxed set and 60 EUR for the limited edition (includes all KS exclusives). The only thing you don't get is the Collector's miniatures that were add-ons during the campaign. They have those available for sale too, but I think at 40 EUR. I skipped those.

We where there yesterday afternoon. Bought the limited edition (which as far as I understand contains all playable components there are)
We would have liked to buy the miniatures also (these are just decoration, but they look gorgeous) unfortunately they where not available. Was told they would sell them via their website but could not find any information there. We might go back the stand today to ask again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
So they are putting 4 scenarios in the retail box and leaving the other 6 out? This is absurd for a scenario driven game, who would actually buy it like this?

Where have you read this ?
In the comments above I have read 5 in retail and 6th in KS, not 5 in retail and 6 in KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epsilon748 wrote:

Any idea whether the limited edition will be available by other means? I kept getting this martian game mixed up with the other two and missed out on the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Sheppard
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Murdoc wrote:
Epsilon748 wrote:

We where there yesterday afternoon. Bought the limited edition (which as far as I understand contains all playable components there are)
We would have liked to buy the miniatures also (these are just decoration, but they look gorgeous) unfortunately they where not available. Was told they would sell them via their website but could not find any information there. We might go back the stand today to ask again.

Could you post pictures of the components and scenarios? I'm really interested in what are. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there going to be a way to buy the KS extras;

Hidden goals
Extra experts
Extra Regolith cards
Extra missions
'Dark side of Mars' expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the KS page, most of the extra content is not marked as KS exclusive, so I assume they will make it available in future (as part of an expansion, via online store, or whatnot). It's purely speculation, of course.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:
Is there going to be a way to buy the KS extras;

Hidden goals
Extra experts
Extra Regolith cards
Extra missions
'Dark side of Mars' expansion

According to the email that backers just got recently the extras will not be available but to be honest it may have been just some fluff sent to backers as an excuse as to why they will be getting their games 6 months after selling it to the public {the email said they exclussive backer only content was not finished yet - or something like that }...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I am not a backer and am interested in the game - there are parts of the page that say certain things are exclusive and other parts of the same page where that is not noted -

It looks like only Scenario #6, Dark Side of Mars, and the sculpts are exclusive. There is a bit of inconsistency as in the lower section, Dark Side of Mars is not marked as exclusive.

I understand that some of these might or moght not be in the retail box, but there is no reason to think they are exclusive to backers, is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Xahendir wrote:
Guillyberto wrote:

Where have you read this ?
In the comments above I have read 5 in retail and 6th in KS, not 5 in retail and 6 in KS.

Just look at the KS page, they are doing 11 scenarios and I believe 6 are stretch goals. Someone said that none of the SGs even if they are not KS exclusive are not in the retail box, so I have surmised it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
There are SO MANY games coming out these days that not buying an in-complete game is not really some kind of loss/missed opportunity actually.

Amen, brother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.