Subject: Choosing the other people's factions variation. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi People.

Who wants to play this variation with me.

A game is generated. For starters, map 2, usual F&I extensions.

Player 1 chooses player 2's faction via the chat message. 2 chooses for 3. 3 chooses for 4. 4 chooses for 1.

Now everyone has a faction not suited to the game.

The rest of the game is played normally. Who can win with a bad faction?

Let me know and I will create a game.

SW.

p.s. a more extreme version would be to choose not only the worst faction, but the worst starting positions and the worst first bonus. But that might be a bit silly, even for someone with my name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's not balanced unless you do a 4 game set with rotation. If you don't do a 4 game set then make it unrated. It's extremely unfair to the player who gets the worst (and possibly the 2nd worst) factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SillyWords wrote:
Who can win with a bad faction?
Player 1, since he/she got the least bad faction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gambia
Brest
msg tools
DocCool wrote:
SillyWords wrote:

Player 1 has the higher chances of being 'self'-sandwiched by the one that picks for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Skyswooper wrote:
DocCool wrote:
SillyWords wrote:

Player 1 has the higher chances of being 'self'-sandwiched by the one that picks for him.

to clarify.

Player 4 chooses player 1's faction. That is still however, the first pick of the match. So Player 1 might actually get the worst faction. Player 4 will have the fourth pick and it will be chosen by Player 3. So player 4 is the most likely to get sandwiched, assuming player 3 thinks that is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SillyWords wrote:
Skyswooper wrote:
DocCool wrote:
SillyWords wrote:

to clarify.

Player 4 chooses player 1's faction. That is still however, the first pick of the match. So Player 1 might actually get the worst faction. Player 4 will have the fourth pick and it will be chosen by Player 3. So player 4 is the most likely to get sandwiched, assuming player 3 thinks that is a good idea.
Oh, ok. Then I revise my prediction: player 4 has a >50% chance of winning, especially since he/she'll also have first pick of bonus tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
DocCool wrote:
SillyWords wrote:
Skyswooper wrote:
DocCool wrote:
SillyWords wrote:

to clarify.

Oh, ok. Then I revise my prediction: player 4 has a >50% chance of winning, especially since he/she'll also have first pick of bonus tiles.

Hm good point. Maybe the bonus tiles have to be picked too to make it fair to player 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, you'd have to pick their BON too. Based on my only experience in playing this type of game, it is very unbalanced the way we played it. I think there is a huge difference between the worst faction and the 4th worst faction. Whereas, the difference between the best faction and even the 5th best faction is not as much.

Until this format is pinned down (in single game) to be fair enough for all players, I think you should make it unrated. Even with the 4p shuffle format, the first time we played it, it had several issues that made it unbalanced. The issue was non-synchronized setup between the 4 games.

If this was made in a 4p shuffle format it would be balanced because all 4p get stuck in the same spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
If this was made in a 4p shuffle format it would be balanced because all 4p get stuck in the same spot.
... and it would be ok that players pick their bonus tiles themselves.

Note that if you make it a 4p shuffle, you take away most of the intended meanness of the OP's proposal, since it's not just the other player whom you assign Fakirs (hehehe devil) but you also assign it to yourself in one of the other three games. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was standard map and worst faction there is very often falkirs with quite a gap. Last picked faction is not an advantage over second or third pick because of color distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
^ Agree and ^^Agree.

So if it is a 1 game play then I'm not sure that there is a way to make it fair to the player stuck with Fakirs unless it's a very good Fakirs setup and the player doesn't realize it. Maybe just eliminate Fakirs from use unless the player assigned Fakirs agrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On F&I map that might not be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.