Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lewandowski
United States
St. Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if the rating for this game differs whether you are a trekkie or not. I consider the game OK (probaly 6ish) but have a blast playing it with people who are 'into' coops and trekiness (which would boost it at least one level if not two). Just a ton of fun, which is what the goal of most games should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that's true for most any game when gamers love the subject matter. The game is good and fun but nothing super awesome. However, I love Star Trek so this game is a super blast for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a trekker and gamer: 5 Year Mission is a great, light, fun party game. If that's what you're in the mood for, or what you like in general, there's certainly enough game there to make for a fun evening with friends and drinks.

If you're looking for a hard, deep, serious strategy experience, then looked at strictly as a game, you probably should be playing Agricola.

On the other hand, if you love Star Trek, you're going to love the game on that basis alone. You're playing characters from the show with abilities that fit: Kirk cheats; Spock is a creative problem solver; Sulu warps the ship away from Danger' Riker is shifty; Troi helps the crew cooperate and so on.

Every alert is drawn from an episode of the show and there are two completely different red alert decks for the original series and next generation.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big time trekker, and I found nothing interesting about this game. We got it for cheap and played it twice and I see no reason to go back to it. Fuse or Escape are much better ways to roll dice with friends, and Star Trek: The Next Generation – Interactive VCR Board Game – A Klingon Challenge remains the definitive way to enjoy Star Trek as a board game (I'm just kidding, that game is dumb, but it is much more fun to play than Five Year Mission).

If you have a friend that needs a gentle introduction to gaming and enjoys Star Trek or TNG, this could fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.