20 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » General

Subject: Essen 2016? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mira Barbian
Germany
flag msg tools
Will teenage mutant ninja turtles shadows of the past become available in Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I doubt it since the fulfillment of the kickstarter hasn't happened yet. They just sent out an update that said US fulfillment is close as the ship is in the harbor, but the EU fulfillment is still a bit further off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Nate Murray, they only had a few production copies. The single spare copy went to Charlie Theel for review. He has been posting a bunch of images and impressions on his Twitter page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to answer questions here as well, if anyone has any. Feel free to shoot me a geekmail or ask in the forums here and I'll do what I can. I've played through the first two Comics (6 individual scenarios total) and feel like I have a firm grasp on the game. Still collecting thoughts for my review and I plan on playing it more this week before I write it.

I will say this: I was not overly hyped for this game and my hopes were that it would be better than Ghostbusters, which I thought was far too bland and simple. I'm a fan of TMNT but I'm not a super fan, had not heard of Old Hob for instance, and don't read the comic. I was VERY surprised just how good this game was. Blown away. Friend who played ordered his own copy. We shifted plans around so we could play it immediately the next day and run through the second comic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pigg
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I'd be happy to answer questions here as well, if anyone has any. Feel free to shoot me a geekmail or ask in the forums here and I'll do what I can. I've played through the first two Comics (6 individual scenarios total) and feel like I have a firm grasp on the game. Still collecting thoughts for my review and I plan on playing it more this week before I write it.

I will say this: I was not overly hyped for this game and my hopes were that it would be better than Ghostbusters, which I thought was far too bland and simple. I'm a fan of TMNT but I'm not a super fan, had not heard of Old Hob for instance, and don't read the comic. I was VERY surprised just how good this game was. Blown away. Friend who played ordered his own copy. We shifted plans around so we could play it immediately the next day and run through the second comic.

As an 80s Turtles fan who only read the new comic after the Kickstarter campaign started (and caught up by the time it ended), this is great news to hear!

I know you likely stated this in your twitter feed, but how many people did you play with? How well do you think the game scales from 5 to other player counts? How difficult would it be for one person to control all four turtles, for instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masterpigg wrote:
charlest wrote:

As an 80s Turtles fan who only read the new comic after the Kickstarter campaign started (and caught up by the time it ended), this is great news to hear!

I know you likely stated this in your twitter feed, but how many people did you play with? How well do you think the game scales from 5 to other player counts? How difficult would it be for one person to control all four turtles, for instance?

I've played 2 and 3 players thus far. 3 is probably what it will play best at. I plan on trying a couple of scenarios at different player counts to confirm.

2 is fine after a game or two (at least from an experienced gamer's perspective). Your first game you may have to take it slow if you're controlling all of the turtles but my last play I was controlling them all just fine.

I don't think this will be a 4 or 5 player game for me simply because of downtime. If you're playing with someone who is slow it could be quite awhile before it gets back to you.

It would be like this:

You go with Raph
Foot player goes with two cards
Donnie goes
Foot player
Leo goes
Foot player
Mikey
Foot player

New round/group discussion
Leo goes
Foot player
Donnie goes
Foot player
You finally get to again.

Now, it is a coop so there is discussion and it's not like you're not invested in the game. Still, I think 3 players is fantastic because you each get two turtles which means you're actively involved in roughly 1/3 of all actions.

If you're patient five would be fine. I'd just be wary of gamers who played slow as you can spend your symbols to do multiple things and a turn can take awhile if you have analysis paralysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad you liked the game. How have you found the smaller rules to be? Such as picking up and throwing man hole covers and using rails to move? Have you used those are they pretty easy to do as far as game play or does it make it a little much to remember?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney06 wrote:
Glad you liked the game. How have you found the smaller rules to be? Such as picking up and throwing man hole covers and using rails to move? Have you used those are they pretty easy to do as far as game play or does it make it a little much to remember?

I don't think they're bad at all if you're playing this with mostly gamers. The very first scenario we didn't utilize everything we could have (for instance there are rails you can grind and we just didn't), but most of the terrain is easy. After the second or third play all of it becomes internalized and it's simple.

It's mostly stuff like yellow squares are difficult terrain and require +1 movement point, red are rough and you have to end your move.

There are reference cards for each of the terrain type so the scenario tells you what to take out and include for the scenario. You can pass them around if someone forgets.

If you're looking to play this with a group that's only played Catan or TTR I think they'd have some issues adapting but otherwise it shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't trade the terrain and the overhead for simplicity though. Those unique terrain elements are amazing and a huge part of the scenario personality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Now the scenarios are based on who won the previous one right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sometimes it will go to a new scenario other times it will go to the same scenario but one side will get a small bonus (usually bad guy units are different). What's cool is that these outcomes fuel the story and make thematic sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an oddball, and am curious about something most others probably won't care much about: Do the rules of the Works Edition have the Works-exclusive items included in the components list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
I'm an oddball, and am curious about something most others probably won't care much about: Do the rules of the Works Edition have the Works-exclusive items included in the components list?

I'm not sure but I believe the Works edition rules are the same as the retail edition rules.

The cards for the Kickstarter stuff come in a separate sealed deck, and there's a Kickstarter/Works separate comic book with scenarios/rules. I haven't worked my way through that yet as I'm focused on the retail material for my review at Geek & Sundry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose that makes sense, since most people looking to buy at this point won't be searching for the Kickstarter exclusives. Either way, thanks for the great pictures, I'll definitely be checking in to see what else you post of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
I suppose that makes sense, since most people looking to buy at this point won't be searching for the Kickstarter exclusives. Either way, thanks for the great pictures, I'll definitely be checking in to see what else you post of the game!

Yeah, the majority of people reading the review at G&S will likely not even be aware of the Kickstarter.

I'll probably be tweeting out pics when I play with the KS stuff, although it may be awhile before I get to it.

If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. I can look something up or give you a better idea of how the KS comic is laid out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Charlie, can you check with the G&S team if there is an easier way to filter the articles written by you and the other board game contributors on the site? I tried checking it out the other day and the site seemed pretty cumbersome. I used the Category view but the Games category included a bunch of video game articles I wasn't really interested in.

Maybe it was just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rraahk wrote:
@Charlie, can you check with the G&S team if there is an easier way to filter the articles written by you and the other board game contributors on the site? I tried checking it out the other day and the site seemed pretty cumbersome. I used the Category view but the Games category included a bunch of video game articles I wasn't really interested in.

Maybe it was just me.

The best (and only) way to do it is to search and hope the article was tagged. All of the board game content should be tagged with "board game" or "table top game" but there could be articles missed if the writer/editor didn't apply that tag.

There should just be a way to filter by board games built into the system but unfortunately there's not.

If you're interested in reading my stuff specifically, I keep a geeklist of everything I've written (200+ reviews) here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/165141/reviews-and-articl...?

Thanks for the feedback and I'll bring this up next writers meeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie - thanks for the twitter photos. I'm salivating just looking at them - so excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed them!

My review is in at G&S and will be up mid next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the review. It looks like the picks you have been tweeting out so far show the Kickstarter exclusive "classic Turtles".

The other ones are the ones that will be retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, that was probably a mistake as I included one in my review. I figured it didn't really matter since it wasn't a gameplay thing (and thus wouldn't affect my opinion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.