Subject: More Counter Clipping Comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to cutting corners off counters I can now proudly say that I cut no corners.

After having using nail clippers for over 25 years I have purchased an Oregon Plastic Corner Cutter.

It's excellent. It is a little slower than cutting by hand but that is because the cutting is now more precise.

I was asked if it was expensive. It all depends upon what you think is important. I don't buy cigarettes and I guess it cost the equivalent of about 4 boxes of cigarettes...so not that expensive at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that cigarette smoke devalues your wargame collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van Overberghe
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my 2mm Oregon Laminates corner rounder on this past Monday. I cannot believe how nice the counters look. They make the corners look like they were die cut in the factory. Best money I have spent on an "accessory"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, before you use it too much, to make sure it doesn't break prematurely, do this:

As detailed here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/22994250#22994250
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought myself one after years of humming and hawing. Kicking myself now that I didn't dive in earlier. Thought I had ordered the 2mm but turns out I clicked the 2.5 mm. Snow flurries. Still works. Thanks for the modification link. Haven't had to push too hard yet so wasn't worried about breakage. Now I have a DIY job to complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:
Just bought myself one after years of humming and hawing. Kicking myself now that I didn't dive in earlier. Thought I had ordered the 2mm but turns out I clicked the 2.5 mm. Snow flurries. Still works. Thanks for the modification link. Haven't had to push too hard yet so wasn't worried about breakage. Now I have a DIY job to complete.

What do you think of the 2.5mm? Now I have seen the 2mm I am regretting not getting the lager radius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's overkill in purchasing, but I first bought a 2mm, then bought a second with 2.5mm. It may be more the size of counters you clip, then the radii you choose. The normal half inch chits look okay with 2mm, but large chits look better with the 2.5mm clipper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
da pyrate wrote:
kurt_purcell wrote:

What do you think of the 2.5mm? Now I have seen the 2mm I am regretting not getting the lager radius.

The 2.5 works awesome with even 1/2 inch counters provided the counters are square and well-printed, or at least mostly square and reasonably well printed. The later OCS counters in particular look very, very nice. The rounding definitely improves the look and feel of many older SPI counters as well.

Clipping doesn't work well when counters are overly crowded, or too far out of square, or badly misprinted, or if the counter artist used the whole counter all the way up to the corners. Not many do, but there are some exceptions which are painful.

I'm probably going to invest in the 2 mm when I punch Hurtgen and WAR. There is (appropriately) a lot of info on those counters, and I think the 2.5 will be just a little too aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So not only do we have a 106 page "Perfect solutions" thread which is in large part a promo campaign for Oregon Laminations but we now have the same on a whole new thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
After having using nail clippers for over 25 years I have purchased an Oregon Plastic Corner Cutter.

Congrats! Now you only need to purchase the microbadge!

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought I'd counter clip. Never.

But since I can borrow 2mm and 3mm Oregon Lamination clippers from a fellow wargamer, and after doing all of the counters from the new BoB reprint, I'm sitting there last night clipping the counters from the L2 edition of Breakout: Normandy and thinking how good they look.

And I have the micro badge too. Gosh. That and making an argument in favour of Fields of Fire this morning ... must be the head cold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:
So not only do we have a 106 page "Perfect solutions" thread which is in large part a promo campaign for Oregon Laminations but we now have the same on a whole new thread.

blushDid not realize that thread was still ongoing. I'm not subscribed so only see the recent posts on my front page. I guess that means I'm also not part of any ongoing discussion if I don't see replies because I don't normally subscribe to threads. Would it be better just to remain a lurker, when subscribing gives me information overload?

Not allowing a whole new thread is more of a philosophy regarding how the forums should be structured/organized and who should have permissions to create. Having read complaints in forums about necro posts, it appears that many on BGG consider threads to be passing moments in time to be forgotten after the next one appears.

As for it being a promo campaign, I think it is more of a grassroots, word of mouth, happy customers passing on to other potential customers a tool. I would not be surprised if there had been some intentional directed marketing (widgets donated to prominent counter clippers) at some point, but now the volume of happy customers are providing their own feedback.

Did I really NEED this "insert widget name here", no probably not but I'm happy to be the owner of "funky device that does cool stuff" and recommend it to others in either 2 or 2.5 unit flavours because who can really measure the difference with your eye. Did it make me smile when I setup my first game with those counters, yes it did, hence the positive feedback.

<edit> White space does make a difference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just shows how CSW is superior to BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
It's excellent. It is a little slower than cutting by hand but that is because the cutting is now more precise.

I think you'll find it's faster, precisely because of the alignment jig on it.

Hungadunga wrote:
Not to mention that cigarette smoke devalues your wargame collection.

As my recently acquired copy of Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 can attest. Finally got it aired out since it wasn't actually in the same room as the smoke, be sheesh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:

2.5mm is the perfect size for 1/2" and up... so you mischose wisely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dieroll Honker wrote:
This just shows how CSW is superior to BGG.

No, because you can ignore this thread. Over there everything is mushed together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

mb

Except that the corner on that microbadge is rounded waaay too much. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP on the original thread back in 2012 recorded the purchase of an Oregon Laminations counter clipper. Four years, 106 pages and around 1500 posts later the last post on that thread concerned the purchase of... you guessed it. The bulk of posts were of the "Wow!" variety with a little variety in the odd mention of rival products, the compared utility of the 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm variants, repair of said product and whether it works better upside down. The new thread, while so far somewhat shorter (for how long?) is covering the same territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
russ wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

mb

Except that the corner on that microbadge is rounded waaay too much. shake

You need to take into account that the mb only shows a close up of the corner of the counter that has been clipped and not the entire counter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:

This.

I was firmly in the 'Never Clip" camp. Then I bought my Oregon Laminations 2.5mm and am ticked I didn't do it sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Counter clippers are instruments of the Devil. Yeah, I went there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
CountDeMoney wrote:
Counter clippers are instruments of the Devil. Yeah, I went there.

To quote from John Milton's Pair-o-clippers Lost:

"Better to round in Hell, than to sever in Heaven!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are an affront to the time-honored tradition and superior craftsmanship of artisan counter sculpting.

That's right: not clipping, not even trimming. Sculpting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CountDeMoney wrote:
They are an affront to the time-honored tradition and superior craftsmanship of artisan counter sculpting.

That's right: not clipping, not even trimming. Sculpting.

Now there's a trade to get into: artisanal wargame counter sculpting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.