Hide
8 Posts

Old School Tactical» Forums » Rules

Subject: Artillery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
In the game I am playing, the Germans used a luck card to fire OBA. A total miss. On the Germans fired a scheduled OBA, same target and spotter. Another miss.
Has it been considered that in these circumstances the second shot should have a better accuracy number as the spotter would have radioed for a correction.???????????????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that here are no provisions for correcting fire, I would say no. My track record is pretty bad with this game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
I realize there is nothing in the rules. I was asking if it had been considered. Hope this does not come across as to sharp.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Wolski
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the artillery rules are a decent abstraction of the real thing. There are many variables in artillery in addition to the spotter and target. In this case, there were two different fire missions, possibly fired from different artillery pieces. Each piece has its own characteristics - tube wear alone can significantly change impact location due to muzzle velocity differences. Add in whether optics are mounted and aligned correctly, was the piece position located accurately, has the wind changed direction/speed, and so forth.

Too much detail? Bottom line - simple but effective artillery rules that work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Farrell
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm going to attribute your lack of artillery success to the cinematic nature of the game. That Russian target unit was probably the lead character in the OST movie so he couldn't possibly have been hit! It's a crazy fun game! See my ratings comments if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
padraic49 wrote:
I realize there is nothing in the rules. I was asking if it had been considered. Hope this does not come across as to sharp.

Patrick
I find it extremely likely that it was considered and then discarded as part of the simplification process. It may even be part of the early design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just house rule something in for subsequent shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never2manygames wrote:
I'm going to attribute your lack of artillery success to the cinematic nature of the game. That Russian target unit was probably the lead character in the OST movie so he couldn't possibly have been hit! It's a crazy fun game! See my ratings comments if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

I read your comments and agree ( thanks for the good rating btw)
I just had a cool experience with artillery in a play test game.
Lausdell Crossroads scenario for OST 2.
Americans are defending a crossroads, battle of the bulge.
2nd Inf Div infantry against 12th SS grenadiers and armour.
Night time, visibility limits spotting and attack ranges to 4 hexes.
US player ( me ) had 2 Artillery strikes for scenario and I drew a third as a Luck card.
With spotting of only 4 hexes, the chance of friendly fire is high, but historically the Americans called in the missions right on top of them.

When the SS came to a crucial spot, I called in my first strike.
Luckily, it was accurate. I didn't get many casualties, but his units kept failing their gut checks, even though they were elite troops with a Gut check of 6.

Next turn I did the same thing and it was accurate as well. Results were about the same. 1 squad reduced and a bunch of failed Gut checks.

Next turn, same thing, same spot. Again the results were about the same.

Now in that sequence of 3 turns I got lucky in that all 3 strikes were accurate. More importantly, they kept a large group of the SS troops from rolling up on my position for 12 minutes and closed off a lane of approach to the victory hexes. And my opponent had to waste a lot of Impulse pts to rally his troops.

In the end my Americans lost, but the frustration of my opponent as he was failing all those Gut checks with his elite troops, that was worth the price of admission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.