11 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: Game box smells bad? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ebbe Cee
Malta
flag msg tools
I got my game directly from Portalgames about 12 days ago, and noticed something weird after peeling off the plastic and opening the box... it smelled horrible. The smell is very much like one you can smell in a barn house with cow manure. I spread all the pieces out on the table for while to air out but the smell persisted through the last 3 play sessions.

I put some baking soda in a filter bag and put that in the box to neutralise some of the smell but it still there.

Anyone else got this issue? If so, any ideas how to get rid of the smell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first opened my box there was a very faint smell that I didn't recognize. It went away rather quickly after opening and sorting everything.

No idea how to get rid of a smell though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bolin
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same thing. It was the first time I wasn't INTO the smell inside a new board game, which was surprising. But after going through the components and sorting everything I'm not sure I really notice the odor anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I thought that the box farted.

I think it has gone away over time. I have noticed it less. I would give the baking soda a bit more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice any smell from my box when I opened it. I got mine from coolstuff, if it matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LMAO! I got the game yesterday and while we were punching out the pieces one of my friend commented on how he liked the smell of new board games. During that time I was still holding the box and I said "Me too, but I think this one smell like shit". We then one by one took a good whiff of the box and they all agreed that indeed it smell like shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Mason
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got my copy from Miniature Market. It definitely smells like a week-old cat litter box that hasn't been emptied. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peel
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
Mine also had a very distinct aroma that was not pleasing. I normally love the smell of new games so took a massive sniff of the box when opened. I nearly hurled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I am experiencing the same thing. In fact when I was opening the box I had assumed that it was the carpet under the table and spent some time trying to deodorize it to no avail. Its a very strange smell. I would not liken it to manure or vomit as others have said. It seems more earthy. Like dirty carpet that hasn't been cleaned in a long time. (which is why it confused me)

Hmm... I will try the baking soda idea too. Or maybe just leave the box open for a good week with the baking soda in there too.

I fear that it will never go away as its coming from the materials themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebbe Cee
Malta
flag msg tools
Update after 6 months. It still stinks gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bolin
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized I opened mine today and didn't notice the smell!

It only took 8 months!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.