Subject: Question about using Techs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Moore
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's my autism not letting me read it completely correct, but it's slightly confusing me. An example

To be able to use the Advancement Literature, would I need to perform the action Settle or Advance?

My understanding is Worlds (or Techs in the tableau) react via the action attached to the advancement, but Tech (in your hand) react via the suit attached to the advancement. My answer to the example is I would need to Settle to get the effect, but if Literature was on a World I would need to use the action Advance. Am I correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting catch; I worded it incorrectly in the rules.

For context, the rules say: "If a player has a complete tech card in his hand and takes an action that matches the suit of an advancement on that card, he may discard it to apply any number of matching advancement effects to his action."

So your interpretation seems correct with the way the rule is stated, BUT it is stated incorrectly. It should be worded in such a way that you would always apply "Literature" during an "Advance" action and not a settle (even though it appears next to the Moon suit).

A first crack at the corrected text would be something along the lines of: "If a player has a complete tech card in his hand and takes an action that matches the action of an advancement on that card, he may discard it to apply any number of matching advancement effects to his action."

For example, any tech that features one or more "Power" advancements would let you apply all the ones on that card when you discard it regardless of whether the "Power" effects come from Sun or something else (such as "Foot/Empire" which should trigger on "Power" and not on "Expand").

I'll fix this in the rules and upload a new version, but I'll add a note to the errata now. Thanks for finding this! Its a subtle but crucial point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so it's always has to match the action then to get the effect, when it is legal to have an effect (anything in your tableau or completed Techs in hand). The suit is strictly for generation purposes, like challenges and advancments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that is correct (unless there's something I'm forgetting). The suits are there simply to direct generation, which in the case of techs are done semi-gradually as a template you fill in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course the suits on the techs and planets are used (for the game when they are being created) to determine whether or not you produce a wonder at the end of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So ya, generation purposes. Suit for generation purposes and action for play for effect purposes. Simple enough. I am also working on some variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.