Subject: All Along The Watchtower rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Ryan
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'd like to canvass the thoughts of fellow Burgundians on the value of the Watchtower?!
Personally, I don't rate it all that much compared to other brown city tiles out there.
I avoid it early to middle game, and only consider it late game as a last resort if I need to complete a region.
If the yellow knowledge tile (No.17) offering an additional 4 points per watchtower comes out early, it does gain currency. 8 points per tile is not to be sniffed at.
And of course, finishing a 7-8 hex city region makes you pretty much beholden to investing in a watchtower.
Beyond that though, am I missing something?
Curious to know others' thoughts/ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
barmyfongyphipps wrote:
I'd like to canvass the thoughts of fellow Burgundians on the value of the Watchtower?!
Personally, I don't rate it all that much compared to other brown city tiles out there.
I avoid it early to middle game, and only consider it late game as a last resort if I need to complete a region.
If the yellow knowledge tile (No.17) offering an additional 4 points per watchtower comes out early, it does gain currency. 8 points per tile is not to be sniffed at.
And of course, finishing a 7-8 hex city region makes you pretty much beholden to investing in a watchtower.
Beyond that though, am I missing something?
Curious to know others' thoughts/ideas.

I guess based more on intuition than on having made a spread sheet, 4 points seems to have been about what a tile should be worth, erring on the side of not making it an autograb.

It's kind of the simplest tile in the game, so I tend to use it as a baseline to compare other tiles and moves to. "is this better than just taking a watchtower?"

Filling up brown is not always a given, so I have no problem taking one generally. Points are points. Plenty of times it's better than other buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're mostly right.

Watchtowers are most valuable in phase E, since the other perks buildings give you don't always help you as much as getting 4 points. But early on, I'll take a Boarding House or City Hall any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Pietrzak
Poland
Zgierz
flag msg tools
"Mind if I roll need?"
mbmbmbmbmb
That's nice coincident that topic named "All along the watchtower" is posted at the same day Bob Dylan is awarded with Nobel Prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might prefer a city hall, bank or boarding house over a watchtower early in the game, but if those aren't available then a watchtower is a respectable choice. Especially if it's one of the rarer tiles on offer and/or people need it for their regions. 4 points is nothing to turn your nose up at.

Depending on what you're going for the market, carpenter's workshop, church or warehouse might be a better pick, but all of those are really situational. If there's not the right tiles out in the current round (or at least none of the right tiles left) then the first three might not be great picks at all. You could save them until a later round, but it'd still devalue those tiles a bit for me. If you don't have goods for a warehouse, then it probably isn't a good pick for the same reasons. Even if you do, I might prefer the watchtower... especially if I don't have any other silverlings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others that have already posted, the Watchtower, for me, is kind of the baseline I'll compare all other tiles against.

It's rarely a must grab for me, but often is better than other more situational options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ryan
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
Yes, isn't that funny?!

I read your thread, then checked the morning news and there it was - Bob Dylan wins a Nobel!

The decision raised a few eyebrows, too.

Oh well. No one can take it from him now.
And a Nobel is not bad to add to one's CV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ryan
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
Thanks all for your input. Some nice food for thought.

I guess the main tenet of my post is to help broaden/reframe the Watchtower in my own mind as to its value.

I've always given primacy to those brown tiles that afford secondary actions equivalent to an extra dice roll (City Hall, Market, Church and Bank), or half a dice roll (Warehouse), plus flexibility (Boarding House).

But ultimately the game is about points - if regions remain unfinished despite those secondary actions, then the Watchtower is a better option. Hard to know at the time, of course.

I like the points made about late game; that some brown tiles diminish in value depending on the situation (regions already filled, regions won't be attempted, 1-building type per city region prohibition), thus elevating the Watchtower as a viable choice.

Also those comments that mentioned how situation really dictates one's assessment of a given tile at any given stage. Which is what is so great about this game - it really makes you think.

I'll play a few games, show the Watchtower some more love, and see what difference it makes to my score, if any.

Thanks all again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.