14 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Another solo rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay C
msg tools
Here's what I'm missing with the solo rules. The rules say:

"You have a neutral opponent that you can steal from, or reduce any kind of resources and production from."

How does this work? You aren't drawing cards or advancing anything for a neutral opponent, right? How do I steal an animal or plants from the "neutral" opponent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are cards that let you remove resources or production from any player. If there were no neutral opponent then you would have to remove your own resources and production when you play those cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
There are cards that let you remove resources or production from any player. If there were no neutral opponent then you would have to remove your own resources and production when you play those cards.

Apparently red border resource icons mean to remove up to that number. You have the option to not remove any of them. Red border production must be removed though.

What a distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The neutral player always has whatever you need to steal/remove, so you are never blocked from playing cards unless it is something you need to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
BitJam wrote:

Apparently red border resource icons mean to remove up to that number. You have the option to not remove any of them. Red border production must be removed though.

What a distinction.

The red border actually means that the card effects any player as opposed to just yourself. The minus sign "-" is what denotes that it's resources that are lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay C
msg tools
I understand the function of the red bordered cards in a multi player game. I just didn't know where the goods were coming from in a solo game since the neutral player isn't drawing cards or storing resources.

"The neutral player always has whatever you need to steal/remove, so you are never blocked from playing cards unless it is something you need to have."

If that's the case it answers my question. I just didn't see anything like that in the rules. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
creebo wrote:
I understand the function of the red bordered cards in a multi player game. I just didn't know where the goods were coming from in a solo game since the neutral player isn't drawing cards or storing resources.

"The neutral player always has whatever you need to steal/remove, so you are never blocked from playing cards unless it is something you need to have."

If that's the case it answers my question. I just didn't see anything like that in the rules. Thanks!

From page 13 regarding solo play:
"4) You have a neutral opponent that you can steal from, or
reduce any kind of resources and production from."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay C
msg tools
orjanalmen wrote:
creebo wrote:

Oh, I understand that. I even quoted that in my original post.
But in the multi player game, if you don't have any plants, I can't steal them from you. My question dealt with if you are not drawing cards and keeping track of resources for the neutral opponent, how do you take any from them? If it's just assumed they have an unlimited amount of whatever resource you're trying to steal, that works. But I don't think that's what it's saying in that part of the rules. Or it least it's not saying it clearly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
creebo wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:
creebo wrote:

Oh, I understand that. I even quoted that in my original post.
But in the multi player game, if you don't have any plants, I can't steal them from you. My question dealt with if you are not drawing cards and keeping track of resources for the neutral opponent, how do you take any from them? If it's just assumed they have an unlimited amount of whatever resource you're trying to steal, that works. But I don't think that's what it's saying in that part of the rules. Or it least it's not saying it clearly!

In solo play, it's unlimited for the neutral oppontent. In multiplayer, there is no neutral opponent. you need to take those red productions from one player, yourself or another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Erlandsson
msg tools
So e.g destroying plants with a meteor is mandatory?
We assumed you could choose not to crash the meyeor into the opponents plantation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
perer005 wrote:
We assumed you could choose not to crash the meyeor into the opponents plantation.

Typically, no. The cards say "up to X resources". So anything less than or equal to the amount given (including zero).

In a solo game, "steal" basically means "gain", and "remove up to" is just ignored/"remove zero".

There are still cards in the solo game that are completely useless. For example cards that get you VP based on how many of a certain tag your opponents have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perer005 wrote:

Yes resources are not mandatory to destroy, but eventual production are mandatory. I think a good house rule if you want to skip the take that would be that you need to take that production from yourself as on the other cards, as the red border means "any player" including yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
perer005 wrote:

Yes resources are not mandatory to destroy, but eventual production are mandatory. I think a good house rule if you want to skip the take that would be that you need to take that production from yourself as on the other cards, as the red border means "any player" including yourself.

Forcing a player to remove these resources from themselves would make many of these cards really bad, because part of their benefit (and part of what you are paying for) is the ability to harm other players. Flipping that onto you makes them decidedly worse cards, and some having zero effect (stealing, ex. Energy Tapping I think). Why not just make an agreement that you will never "choose" to destroy others resources? You are not house ruling anything, just agreeing that "up to" means none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:
perer005 wrote:

Forcing a player to remove these resources from themselves would make many of these cards really bad, because part of their benefit (and part of what you are paying for) is the ability to harm other players. Flipping that onto you makes them decidedly worse cards, and some having zero effect (stealing, ex. Energy Tapping I think). Why not just make an agreement that you will never "choose" to destroy others resources? You are not house ruling anything, just agreeing that "up to" means none.

I agree fully that the best would be to play them as they are, but as I understand that rather many players really really really hate this "take that" moment, I just suggest a solution for them. yes, some cards will be worthless or really less worth then, but if you can't take the take that moment, you'll have to live with this instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.