Subject: Solataire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I know this has probably discussed to death....I have searched and failed to find a link that would make this game playable solo..I have no choice and would really like to play this game...is there some set of simple adaptation rules that would work?
Aperciate any and all responses..thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
What's worked very well for me, and I think you'll find this if you search the forums, is just set up and play both sides. CC doesn't really need solitaire rules.

Play the best moves for each side. When you draw up at the end of each turn, don't peek at the new cards you've drawn before switching. When you have the chance to play an interrupt (e.g. Concealment, defender cards), then take a quick look and decide what's best. I've found that you really don't always remember all the cards the 'other guy' has. Try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Len,
Thanks....all I have seen is the video play thrus thus far..just thinking here how doable would it be to not uncover the secret bonus locations until the end game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You usually go to the Variants folder to search for solitaire systems for games that don't have one. Try it ..there's tons in there.

If you don't want to play both sides, you can try my variant. You use the deck of cards to decide what the AI side does and play the other side normally. I played through all of the first big box - at least two times each scenario using these rules and had a good time.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1226963/peters-solo-com...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
Len,
Thanks....all I have seen is the video play thrus thus far..just thinking here how doable would it be to not uncover the secret bonus locations until the end game?

You can either do that, or leave them both visible, or practice pretending having two brains. I usually do the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
peterk1 wrote:
You usually go to the Variants folder to search for solitaire systems for games that don't have one. Try it ..there's tons in there.

If you don't want to play both sides, you can try my variant. You use the deck of cards to decide what the AI side does and play the other side normally. I played through all of the first big box - at least two times each scenario using these rules and had a good time.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1226963/peters-solo-com...

Peter..
Thanks for the link...saved it for later use...feel it would not be fair to try and decipher something I'm unfamiliar with in all aspects...will probably purchase the game ...start out playing both sides...then..when more familiar,try your variant...thanks for your hard work and response...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
supermaxv wrote:
hodges69 wrote:
Len,

You can either do that, or leave them both visible, or practice pretending having two brains. I usually do the latter.

What's the sense of having 2 brains if either is any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom get the game if it looks interesting to you. Watch some the great learning videos. I've had tremendous fun playing solo. I just play it straight and make no effort to remember the other player hand. When a moving unit gets to a hex an opponent might want to opfire, I'll glance over at the other cards to see if "he's" got a fire card he might want to use.
CC is my personal favorite tactical squad level game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, if you are interested in a true solitaire game (i.e. that you are competing to win against an AI/bot opponent), then CCE (like most 2-player wargames) does not provide that. I know of only 2 current tactical WW2 systems with solitaire modules:

Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion for the popular CoH game. I like CC better as a game, but the solitaire module for CoH is cool (but its AI rules are complex and confusing - nontrivial learning time there!) (Supposedly Lock 'n Load Tactical: Solo is coming soon and is apparently a similar system.)

Combat Leader: Solitaire Module for the somewhat obscure Combat Leader game, a very simple minimalist system, and physically simpler components (e.g. you'll need to mount and cut the counters yourself). Gives a much shorter simpler solitaire experience than CoH, but nice clear short rules and playable in under an hour.

---

As for soloing both sides, I personally find CC sort of strange for that (due to the players' secret info of card hands and, as you note, hidden objectives), but some people have great fun soloing both sides of CC.

As a 2-player game, CC is fantastic and one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
..I have no choice and would really like to play this game...

Lots of players on Vassal. There is no need to solo this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
travillaintim wrote:
hodges69 wrote:

That didn't take long.

Not everyone wants to sit online playing via Vassal/Skype and the PBEM mode is not good as the opponent draw cards for the other player. It's ok for a quick SOLO play, but physical play is so much better.

The "there is no need" line is silly and insulting. Not everyone thinks as you do. Not everyone has the time to play online with Vassal in a session. So while you might enjoy it, others don't and would prefer to play solo to playing online with an inferior digital version (and no offense to the module creator, it's a really good implementation!!!)

To the OP... solo of CC is amazingly easy and fun.

Just out of the box and as was mentioned, not peeking at the newly drawn cards. Peter's system might work too -- he's made some others and I should try this one as well.

There is also a new utility called: The Solo System that is a PnP deck of cards designed to add a semi-intelligent AI to many games. I intend to try this soon.

My review of solo is here: If You Love It So Much, Why Don't You Marry It Then? - A Ones Upon a Game Review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
klkitchens wrote:
travillaintim wrote:
hodges69 wrote:

That didn't take long.

Not everyone wants to sit online playing via Vassal/Skype and the PBEM mode is not good as the opponent draw cards for the other player. It's ok for a quick SOLO play, but physical play is so much better.

The "there is no need" line is silly and insulting. Not everyone thinks as you do. Not everyone has the time to play online with Vassal in a session. So while you might enjoy it, others don't and would prefer to play solo to playing online with an inferior digital version (and no offense to the module creator, it's a really good implementation!!!)

To the OP... solo of CC is amazingly easy and fun.

Just out of the box and as was mentioned, not peeking at the newly drawn cards. Peter's system might work too -- he's made some others and I should try this one as well.

There is also a new utility called: The Solo System that is a PnP deck of cards designed to add a semi-intelligent AI to many games. I intend to try this soon.

My review of solo is here: If You Love It So Much, Why Don't You Marry It Then? - A Ones Upon a Game Review

My thoughts exactly! I knew about Vassal....it just does not hold any appeal to me...i am currently deep into 2 hour wargames...terrific....deep...but a new system that takes a little getting used to...but,u know usWargamers..like surfers,we keep,looking for the perfect wave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tom, for what it's worth, I've found the game/system to work very well for solo play.

I hijacked the card holders from Memoir 44 and have those set up on opposite sides of the board, both facing me. I also keep a little "active player" token on the table next to those and a D6 in case I need to keep track of the number of orders played. Other than that, I just make every effort not to look at the other side's cards (draw, refill, DON'T LOOK). If I play something that can be responded to, I take a quick glance at the other card tray to see if they even can, then make the judgment call whether that side would respond given the situation. Not perfect, but it works well enough. Plus it's easy to pause the game for later (just flip the cards down).

Of course, F2F play is best, and some people prefer VASSAL (I need to look into that again). But as others have said, CC works pretty well solo even though it wasn't designed for it. But it's worth it for the stories the game tells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Appreciate all the help...looks like I have a lot of research to do..then choose what seems more comfortable for me..please keep the suggestions coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
supermaxv wrote:
hodges69 wrote:
Len,

As long as they're roughly equally bad, it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
hodges69 wrote:
supermaxv wrote:
hodges69 wrote:
Len,

As long as they're roughly equally bad, it works.

That logic applies to the 2016 Presidential Election unfortunately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
There's a huge difference between half brained and half assed!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the "Lots of players on Vassal. There is no need to solo this game" comment, not everyone cares to use Vassal. Whether for play against an opponent or solo. However I do understand it's a great thing to have if you really do want to play against a real opponent and can't or just don't have the room to set-up and play.

I'm one of those who enjoys playing everything solo and has no desire to play using Vassal. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Anyone play Up Front with the solo variant? Just wonder how it compares to
CC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Before I pull the trigger,might I ask a few questions?
1) do the scenarios dictate the number and composition of units?
2) on average,what are the average number of units one controls in a scenario?
3)does the scenario generator allow for as few or as many units as one wants?
4)IYO,the best expansions available?
5)At the beginning of each scenario...is placement of troops in given locations necessary?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
Before I pull the trigger,might I ask a few questions?
1) do the scenarios dictate the number and composition of units?

Most/all scenarios say which units each side has.

Quote:
2) on average,what are the average number of units one controls in a scenario?

I have no idea. That's a lot of data to compute an average for... Very roughly I'll say typically there are ten to twenty units for each side.

Quote:
3)does the scenario generator allow for as few or as many units as one wants?

Loosely speaking, yes: you have a choice of a small, medium, or large force (sometimes with multiple choices available for each size). (Depending on the year and your nationality, you have several possible pre-created forces to choose from.)

Quote:
4)IYO,the best expansions available?

Combat Commander: Mediterranean is the first and most important expansion.

Quote:
5)At the beginning of each scenario...is placement of troops in given locations necessary?

Depends on the scenario (each has its own special rules) but usually you have freedom (e.g. "place your units as desired along the west edge", "place your units anywhere north of the river", and the like). In all randomly generated scenarios, you have freedom to place where you like in your portion of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Russ..
Thanks so much..any particular reason for the Med expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get 3 more nationalities in that one.

That said, I bought the Med expansion almost a year ago and haven't opened it yet - I'm not looking forward to figuring out how to store and organize all the new counters. I'm happy with how everything fits in the Europe box right now. I also purchased Paratroopers and Stalingrad and Normandy and have played with all of those already.

Those smaller expansions give you access to some campaign style games, which personally, I find more tempting than getting 3 more nationalities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:

That said, I bought the Med expansion almost a year ago and haven't opened it yet - I'm not looking forward to figuring out how to store and organize all the new counters. I'm happy with how everything fits in the Europe box right now. I also purchased Paratroopers and Stalingrad and Normandy and have played with all of those already.

Those smaller expansions give you access to some campaign style games, which personally, I find more tempting than getting 3 more nationalities.

All the counters stack into four trays.
Scenarios cards into notebook/plastic sleeves.
Maps in one box.
Cards and Trays in another.

Done.

I own all the CC:E expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:

True, it depends whether you are more attracted to specifically crafted scenarios (typically each with some special scenario-specific rules) or to the random scenario generator.

I love the random scenario generator and haven't even yet played all the crafted scenarios in the base game & Med expansion, and I haven't bought any of the scenario expansions like Paratroopers or Stalingrad, because the RSG suffices for me. (Heresy!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.