$15.00
$5.00
$30.00
$20.00
Brandon Dowhaniuk
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey everyone! I've posted here before looking for advice on my card design for a competitive trading card game that I've been working on as a hobby. Well I've done some more work on my design recently as well as changing the resource system into a more unique one.

To understand the stats on the cards, the gist is this:

-You gain 1 full stamina point each turn that
emtpies upon use.

-Stamina points refill at the beginning of your next
turn.

-Creatures cost stamina.

-Creatures can attack the opponent or the other opponent's creatures (the combat is a bit more complicated than this, but this is all you really need to know to understand).

-Auras and Sorceries cost mana.

-Mana is earned by playing creatures.

-Mana does not reset at the end of your turns and
stacks.

So here is a comparison of my previous design with my current:

BEFORE
AFTER

BEFORE
AFTER

As well as a couple of cards to showcase the other two card types in Sorcery and Aura.

SORCERY
AURA

A quick summary of the changes:

-Added a black bleed line around the edge for easier cutting and a nicer frame to the card

-Moved the name border up and to the left to show more of the art

-Changed the font to something more interesting and whimsical, but still easily readable

-Added an icon to identify the card type

-Added the Mana Gain panel to the Creature card

Any advice or criticism would be greatly appreciated! I will note that I do not own any of the actual art pieces, they merely serve as creative placeholders to showcase the type of art I would like to have in the final piece.

I'm also not too sure about what to do for the back of the cards. I would like to incorporate the title of the game (The Enchanting School for Wonderful Wizards), but am unsure if a logo is interesting enough of a card back. Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The new font looks fine for the title, but not the smaller text.

The layout on the left looks too "modern". Compare it to the background texture of a Magic card.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the fancy font will be hard to read at actual card print size. Especially because its white- the letters will visually meld together making it difficult to read. Also, white text on dark background is actually bad for your eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
The new font looks fine for the title, but not the smaller text.

The layout on the left looks too "modern". Compare it to the background texture of a Magic card.

Good luck!

I agree with the critique that the left side is too modern compared with the artwork style you are aiming toward. I'm not sure that the font choice, though a fine font indeed, is right if you are angling toward a modern look. I like the large symbols that help distinguish the card types, but I think the style of the card needs to be cleared up (modern, fantasy, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.