Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first scenario requires that the Overlord place the Princess in one of the 8 huts. In solo play, this is easy to simulate: take the numbered counters 1-8, place them face down, shuffle them, and distribute them throughout the huts (such that you don't know which number is in which hut). Now pick a number between 1 and 8 and place the Princess on that space of the Turn Tracker. When a Hero enters a hut the first time, flip its hut number token over - if it's a match for the Princess, she's there. Voilà!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
France
flag msg tools
Yeah, but there is no solo play for this game. The minions are controlled by a player.
Unless you already figured out a way to make solo play work. But I don't think it's possible since there are a lot of options and bluffs available for the OL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tshirt wrote:
Yeah, but there is no solo play for this game.

Yes, there is, it's just not in the included rulebook. There is always The Way of Right Hand vs. Left.

Mr_Tshirt wrote:
The minions are controlled by a player.

Or the Other Hand.

Mr_Tshirt wrote:
Unless you already figured out a way to make solo play work. But I don't think it's possible since there are a lot of options and bluffs available for the OL.

If that's the case, then i can stop my current game right now, because it apparently can't possibly be underway! :-D

The Way of Right Hand vs. Left works with nearly all games. Conan has no notable amount of hidden information (or none which can't be simulated some way). So far, not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using your own randomization theory you could assign the Overlords tactics to the Turn Counter too. You'd need to figure out all the possible tactics that can be done and write some of them on small cards, shuffle them, distribute along the Turn Track and use the tactics only for that turn. BAM! Random Overlord.
Now I don't have the game yet but I know that this would still need some fine tuning because of the mechanics of the game and how the gems thing works, might prevent the OL from being able to perform the random tactic, which a human would forsee and avoid, maybe. It's not perfect but it's close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
Yes, there is, it's just not in the included rulebook. There is always The Way of Right Hand vs. Left.

That is how I have played all my test games using the PnP scenario and rules. It is actually very useful and educating, because you get to work out how to make the figures do their best for both sides in the game at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
The Way of Right Hand vs. Left works with nearly all games. Conan has no notable amount of hidden information (or none which can't be simulated some way). So far, not a problem.

i did find a scenario where this is problematic: in The Wrath of Anu, Conan is not necessarily supposed to know whether the curse has been broken or not. i haven't yet figured out how to adapt that for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit different, of course, knowing that the counter is randomized and not put with purpose. Like, an actual overlord could move his units in a way to make it harder for the players to achieve their goal, or move them away from the hut, in order to bluff and cause the players to waste precious time.

Also, planning ahead and drawing forces together or saving up crystals for a specific purpose is harder, since the player (obviously) does not need to figure out what the overlord might be planning.

But all that does not mean it cannot be played like this. It's just a little different, that's all.

For learning the game, especially, it is more than fine. I would argue how much fun it can be to actually play the game solo, and I would rather use one of the fully cooperative games out there for that purpose, but to each their own, of course.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.